Praying for everyone

A farm labourer with a sick wife, asked a Buddhist monk to say a series of prayers. The priest began to pray, asking God to cure all those who were ill.

‘Just a moment,’ said the farm labourer. ‘I asked you to pray for my wife and there you are praying for everyone who’s ill.’

‘I’m praying for her too.’

‘Yes, but you’re praying for everyone. You might end up helping my neighbour, who’s also ill, and I don’t even like him.’

‘You understand nothing about healing,’ said the monk, moving off. ‘By praying for everyone, I am adding my prayers to those of the millions of people who are also praying for their sick. Added together, those voices reach God and benefit everyone. Separately, they lose their strength and go nowhere.’

Comments

1. alessia says:

caro Paulo, sono una ragazza italiana,di roma e ho scoperto i suoi libri da circa 2 anni e…a 20 anni leggo i suoi libri senza mai stancarmi!!!le sue parole, i suoi aforismi,le sue storie, spesso mi commuovono perchè mi rispecchio in esse e riesco a sfogare ogni emozione!!!Ogni volta che finisco di leggere i suoi libri,resto immobile,guardando nel vuoto e…penso a tutto e…riesco sempre a ricavarne qualche insegnamento.con affetto Alessia

2. Wendy Espinoza says:

many people don’t believe in the power of praying. is God really going to listen? is he going to answer our prayers?
    he will if you have faith, as they say faith could move mountains. But i do not agree with the monk in the story,where he told the farm labourer ” added together the voices reach God and benefit everyone, separately they loose their strength and go nowhere” that is wrong for a monk to say because what if everyone have lost their faith and there is only one left with her faith intact, and she prays to God to return the faith to the rest, he is not going to listen bacause is only one person? off course he is. it doesn’t matter if you pray by yourself or in a big group if you have faith he will listen.

3. jolly varghese says:

thanku

4. jolly varghese says:

dear mr paulo,
    thanku for the story with a message . i believe in the power of mental vibrations . trust in the power of universal energy . i collect your books . thank u
    regards . jolly varghese

5. Isabelle says:

Cher Paulo,
    ce laboureur me rappelle malheureusement ces personnes qui considèrent que l’aide que l’on peut apporter à d’autres est quelque chose qu’on leur enlève à eux et qui va leur manquer.
    Comment faire comprendre que l’amour que l’on donne, que l’attention et le temps que l’on offre, se multiplient et finissent par bénéficier au plus grand nombre ? Comment faire admettre que les sourires que l’on distribue permettent à ceux qui les reçoivent de sourire à leur tour, et ainsi de suite ?…L’amour ne se morcelle pas, il ne cesse de croître.

Je suis un peu triste aujourd’hui car en ce jour, ma jeune cousine Agnès aurait dû fêter son 28ème anniversaire. Elle nous a quitté prématurément à l’âge de 20 ans d’une rupture d’anévrisme. Mes prières vont vers elle et vers tous ceux qui sont dans la peine, dans le deuil d’êtres chers trop tôt envolés.

Merci pour vos écrits Paulo, ils me sont à la fois un réconfort et un enseignement.
    Recevez toute mon affection.

6. hada says:

ar Paulo,
    yes my great writer “there is no good in manipulating people”…and they try to manipulating you!!!
    am happy that you have the power in stopping their evil deeds and you cancelled your visit to Jordan …but at the same time am one of many many people in Jordan who admire your you and your work…and would so much like to meet you..and I counted on this trip to do an interview with you, but when I knew the details of your visit I was at the same time happy that you cancelled your visit…
    still looking forward to meeting you ..
    I had sent you so many letters asking for an interview through email and the last answer was that you have no time..it could be an interview to tell the Jordanians about why you cancelled your visit as some people are giving falls reasons.
    with my best wishes
    your truly
    hada sarhan
    alarab alyawm newspaper is an INDEPENDENT daily that is published in Arabic Amman and distributed into almost every Arab countries.

7. Shamala says:

I am not spiritual myself nor religious. What struck me more was the selfishness of the laborer who would want to hoard all prayers for his wife and more so the sheer evil of not wishing his neighbor well! It’s sad that we see more of these characters….

8. kealan says:

The power of prayer is above all the strongest tool in the spiritual world. It is the beginning and end of everything we know. The secret to life itself.

I remember a story of a boy who went in search of his dream. When everything had failed he had another dream to return home, that is where his life began, everything made sense at this point! Home is where the heart is and we must always remember that. I wonder if Ireland is as nice as Jordan? I was driving to the local shop today to get cigarettes; the atm was out of order so I had to drive to another bank right beside the Atlantic Ocean in a place called salthill. The view of the Burren was amazing, a place where flowers only grow there and the South Pole. I got money from the bank and headed towards the shop, it was closed for renivations, damn!! Finally I got my tobacco, papers and filters from a corner shop. Walking back top my car I saw an odd woman just standing at the traffic light waiting to cross the road, she just stood there waiting. There was no traffic! The Police drove by me slowing for a moment, watching.

When I got to my car I made a rollie and drove home to my new apartment 5mins away. The Burren looked great again in the sunlight. What an amazing place to live, Thank God. It is what I prayed for.

9. alessia says:

10. Amina Abbadi says:

Hola Paulo ;)
    May God Bless u always …:))
    It is a great loss…, cancelling ur trip to jordan, honestly it was one of the few events I was really looking forward to for this summer … such a pity …
    I wish u would reconsider coming to jordan again ..
    It is a big shame on us .., and I appologize on their behalf if we have ever offended u, but am also sure that there a lot of jordanians who appreciate ur work and think highly of u
    take care and have a nice day :)

Dear Amina, I love Jordans, and I thank my readers, like the ones (and there were several) who sent emails telling me the circumstances of my visit. Of course I will be there as soon as possible. Much love Paulo

11. Olá Paulo! Atma Namaste! :)

Ohh yeah! :) May the Divine Blessings of Healing be to ALL!
    Be blessed you too, sweetheart! :)
    Very wise message, thank you!

Love & Light to all! ;)