The fact

Edmund Hillary was the first man to climb Everest, the highest mountain in the world. His success coincided with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, to whom he dedicated the conquest and from whom he received a knighthood.

Hillary had made another attempt the year before, but had failed completely. Nevertheless, the English had recognised his efforts and invited him to speak to a packed audience.

Hillary began by describing his difficulties and, despite the applause, said that he felt frustrated and inept. At one point, however, he moved away from the microphone, went over to the enormous drawing illustrating his route and shouted out:

‘You may have beaten me this time, Mount Everest, but I’ll conquer you next year for the simple reason that you’ve got as tall as you’re going to get, but I’m still growing!’

Comments

1. Antara says:

I was leafing across your blog archives…and found this post. I would like to mention about something. Though it is widely known that Edmund Hillary was the first man to have conquered the Everest, there still remains a controversy. Hillary had taken the aid of Tenzing Norgay, a sherpa from Nepal and it is claimed that it was Tenzing who had set his foot first.
    Tenzing later denied this and said that it was Hillary to have reached the summit first and Captain Hunt, the expedition leader remained evasive saying that it was a team work. The real truth remains unknown.

2. sakila says:

spent my day reading “like the flowing river”…and now ur blog! Mr.Coelho, you thoughts are so true and touched my life.

3. Maria says:

My Mother used to tell me there was no such word as CAN’T. Anytime I would say, “but I can’t it is too hard”… Mom would chime in,.. “there is no such word!”

Anything is possible! Everything is possible! Thank you for the reminder…

All the best always,
    Maria

4. Bushra says:

That’s so true. Where there is a will there’s a way.

I recently read your book ‘By the river Peidra I sat down and wept’ The book has really changed my way of thinking. Please do read my poem on my blog ‘It’s a new day’.

5. LIANA says:

One more fact,wich is proving that WILL and BELIEF are the most important factors while reaching success. You must always believe in your own abilities and forces. Then other people(and maybe,LIFE itself )will start believing IN YOU too.

6. aditya says:

Yeah ! that’s the spirit man !! that’s is teh spirit of man. One success of Hillary overshadows the hundreads of failures of others, for mankind, but what about those who did not make it. we worship the spirit or success ?

7. Izz says:

I’ve always admired mountaineers for their lone courage. In fact, whilst at University, during holidays I forbade myself to go home, and rather remained behind completely absorbed in biographies of mountaineers. The challenges they expose their bodies to truly do build them and allow them to share the insights learnt from such hardships with those always on the ground level.

8. Waed Ahmad says:

This is exactly what many people out there need to hear: “impossible” things never exist in the lives of those who try no matter how many difficulties encountered them…..

9. Jake Norton says:

Great story, and one I have always loved. Thanks for sharing it!

Jake Norton
    MountainWorld Productions

10. The observer says:

It is true! While our physical body stops growing on, our minds never seize to grow!