Kerry Lee and the writer

After delivering a lecture in Brisbane, Australia, I am leaving the auditorium in order to go and sign copies of my books. It is late afternoon, but the weather is so warm that the organisers have placed the table for the book-signing outside the library building.

People come over and chat and, even though I am far from home, I do not feel like a stranger: my books precede me and show my feelings and emotions.

Suddenly a twenty-two-year-old woman approaches, pushes her way through the line of people and faces me.

‘I was too late for the lecture,’ she says, ‘but I have a few important things I would like to say to you.’

‘I’m afraid that won’t be possible,’ I reply. ‘I’ll be signing books for another hour and then I have a supper to go to.’

‘Oh, it will be perfectly possible,’ she says. ‘My name is Kerry Lee Olditch. I can tell you what I have to say right here and now, while you’re signing books.’

And before I can say or do anything, she gets a violin out of her rucksack and begins to play.

I continue signing books for more than an hour, to the sound of Kerry Lee’s music. The people do not leave, they stay behind for this unexpected concert, watching the sun go down and understanding what it was she needed to tell me and which she is now telling me.

When I have finished, she stops playing. There is no applause, nothing, only an almost palpable silence.

‘Thank you,’ I say.

‘Everything in this life is a matter of sharing souls,’ says Kerry Lee.

And just as she came, she leaves.

Comments

1. Friend says:

Not long after this Kerry tragically lost her life. She had a beautiful outlook on life and I hope she found her peace in the afterlife. She was a gifted musician and I imagine she is somewhere playing for the angels. RIP Kerry.

2. marie-christine says:

and you are funny 2

3. marie-christine says:

your kindness sticks out for miles…everybody can see it and feel it.
    Thanks for being

4. marie-christine says:

sharing souls with music

5. rainbow bridge says:

indeed… love has no connection… by the way, I loved the “adiemus”… koszonom!

rainbow bridge, ex-bridge-maker

PS j’aurais voulu etre du sud mois aussi, de tres sud…

6. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo,

What a wonderful story. I can remember many times in my life that silence and even music has allowed me to share my soul on a deep level with someone. I remember this one day, i was at a prime circle concert that was held for charity. I loved the band and i kept thinking as he sang, i’d love to hug you to show you how much you are appreciated.. But i realised he’d never really get it, if i randomly went to hug him. After the show i ment the lead singer, and i sincerely thanked him for doing it for my charity, and i told him he was lovely. Just a few words. He smiled, i smiled, then, he hugged me. He hugged me. And i saw that he understood how much he was appreciated. Not through my words, but in my eyes. And that, ment the world to me. Its the words seen from one set of eyes to another, right into one’s soul.
    I’m sure that kerry loves you in an unconditional manner, one where she felt that she’d shown you a true piece of who she is, and had no real expectation of you. I know by you letting her just play next to you, she’l forever be grateful, because i bet that she’d dreamt of it for a very long time. You did a good thing.. :) many other celebrities would have easily shunned her away. But you didn’t. :) You made someone’s dream come true.. In fact you’ve made many people’s dream come true.. Be proud. Smile. And remember.. You a greatly loved by many many people around this world.

Thank you for being.
    Yajna

7. How wonderfully articulate your visitor was… and what a supreme gift for a writer. Communication without words. x isabel

8. Olá Paulo! Atma Namaste! :)

Wow! Another wonderful moment in your life!
    Keep it up! Please keep sharing these so magical moments with us all! Thank YOU!

Beijo in your heart!
    Love & Light!
    Blessings in your way!

Marta :)

9. camerelle says:

Yes, everything in this life is a matter of sharing souls. What a beautiful encounter! This is my response to such moments, words spoken with deep gratitude –

NOW

Through long dark nights our ways are plotted

And found by the light of stars,

Long since departed.

Rhythms and shifting galaxies,

Clouds and ice and fire,

Star studded depths where ghosts

And memories roam.

Thought, word and desire,

Flux and flow and fusion,

All that ever was.