Respect my wishes

On his deathbed, Jacob summoned his wife, Sarah, to his side.

‘Dear Sarah, I want to make my will. To my first-born, Abraham, I am going to leave half of my estate. He is, after all, a man of faith.’

‘Oh, don’t do that, Jacob! Abraham doesn’t need all that money, he’s got his own business; besides, he has faith in our religion. Leave it to Isaac, who is in such turmoil about whether or not God exists, and who has still not found his way in the world.’

‘All right, I’ll leave it to Isaac. And Abraham can have my shares.’

‘Like I said, dear Jacob, Abraham doesn’t need anything. I’ll have the shares and I can always help out the children as and when.’

‘You’re quite right, Sarah. Now about the land we own in Israel. I think I’ll leave it to Deborah.’

‘To Deborah! Are you mad, Jacob? She’s already got land in Israel. Do you want to make her into a businesswoman and ruin her marriage? I think our daughter Michele is much more in need of help.’

Mustering his last ounce of strength, Jacob sat up indignantly.

‘My dear Sarah, you have been an excellent wife, an excellent mother, and I know you want the best for each of your children, but, please show some respect for my opinion. After all, who’s dying here, you or me?’

Comments

Well said.

2. IN says:

hahaha this is a perfect example how everyone is the same, even Abraham.

3. barbara says:

One of the most important experiences of my life is the fact, that diying people always produce a problem as far as “what shall I give to my wife, children, etc., once there are “gone” (I live in Switzerland….).

I therefore made my sons promise me, that they would never fight about house, money or whatever, once I am dead.

I asked them to TRY, to sell all my money for needing people. Let’s pray that they will be able to do so.

4. admin says:

Dear Vana,

I haven’t read this book.

Love
    Paulo

5. Vana says:

I have one Question for you.
    How to you see “The Secret” mouvie or the book by Abraham Hicks, and what is your
    oppinion about it.

All this books tell us one simple poin… feel good, and how huge is power of human mind, the truth is only what we want it to be…..

6. parshwadeep says:

Very nicely said. But where do you define the line between concern and dominating.

7. FOXY says:

Dear MR COELHO…

Such such a beautiful story inspired from the BIBLE.

I saw this story with the eyes of a child, I felt this story, with all the tensions of POSSESSION between my father and my uncle.
    PROBLEMS of sharing the HERITAGE, the lands, the fields, the properties that my family had been built for their entire life..

IF i have doubts today , i am shy today, if i don’t want to expess myself today it’s due maybe to this tensions i have felt. BUT IT WAS NOT ME, FOXY, but my family who I LOVE SO MUCH…WHO KNOWS??

Life is not a fight for possession, life is LOVE
    Thanks for sharing this story.
    BEST wishes to your wife, and all your children in RIO DE JANEIRO

FOXY

8. clarence del castillo says:

This is what makes death beautiful: It is a point of no return. Death makes one consider all the things he could have done but didn’t. Hence, the question is, why wait? Live out your personal legend (wishes, dreams, and goals)everyday.

9. Cristina says:

Perdon, me hablaban?………

10. Lan Nguyen says:

After all, who’s dying here, you or me?’ What a great question to all this =). Thank you for your stories, Sir Paulo Coelho…great works with Gods Blessings.

Jesus said: ” come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you,and learn from me, because I am gentle and huble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light.” Matthew 11.28-30.

11. Kathleen says:

True, poor man.

This one made me laugh out loud, I could see his exasperation.

Kathleen xx