Saving one’s energies

Two rabbis are doing all they can to bring spiritual comfort to the Jews in Nazi Germany. Though in mortal fear of their lives, they nevertheless manage to fool the Gestapo – Hitler’s fearsome police – and perform religious ceremonies in various communities.

They are finally discovered and imprisoned. One of the rabbis, terrified at the thought of what might happen next, spends all his time praying. The other rabbi, however, spends the whole day sleeping.

‘How can you do that?’ asks the first rabbi in alarm.

‘I’m saving my energies because I know I’m going to need them.’

‘But aren’t you afraid? Don’t you know what might happen to us?’

‘Until we were imprisoned, I was scared to death, but now that I’m here in this cell, what’s the point of being afraid of something that has already happened. The time for fear is past; now the time for hope has begun.’

Comments

1. faith says:

Such a beautiful story.

The conclusion is marvellous… Hoping for nothing, hoping for the grace of God.

I'm realising that death is not a joke because we are livinf on EARTH, and it's for everyone of us the same end…

I hope i will be never sad anymore when one of my friend, when one of dear member of my family will die.

Thank you.
    Faith

2. aditya says:

leaf
    “Laughing in the face of fear, like a mad, drunken fool, waving the sword, Freedom, in like manner, as a noviceā€¦.and occasionally fall off laughing till I cry!!” — that was so beauttiiieeeful, ya laughing till I cry those tears of serene joy.

nice.

aditya

3. aditya says:

HI Maris !

To me it seems that in spirituality the level of one’s maturity ( if one must understand in that langauge only, levels etc ) is measured by what are your expectations. Your expectations reveal the ‘level’ of your progess, if at all one must see from that, not very desirable, angle. In spirituality all are same, the one who has taken even one step has crossed a great barrier in fact the only real barrier. once the first step is taken with sincereity, the memeory of that step will not let one rest in peace, till one finds the fountain of peace, himself.

aditya

4. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo,

i think that in life, one will be very afraid of many things, but i believe the no matter how scared you are, you should not let this fear prevent you from doing what you believe, or what you want and makes you happy. Just like how the monks risked everything to help others. And it so often happens that the vary fear of something is far worse than the actual occurence. It is true, that i life, there comes a point beyond fear, when all you can do is hope, because you have to believe. Its at your lowest points that you can rise greater..

Thank you for being.
    Yajna

ps. Fluxman, thanks for sharing that experience. It seems that it really was something.. And even though it was scary and bad in many ways, it restored your faith in God as well, which is always, always a good thing. Boom! *grin*

5. Vibhu says:

Hope is all we have in life. Everything else is an illusion. Hold on to hope to live a fulfulling life for you cannot measure happiness or even grief in tangible terms.

6. fLUXman says:

bo0om paulo,;-),
    I was once mistaken for a sri lankan terrorist in goa , and they took me to the local police station at gun point,
    then they put me in a cell, and went to sleep,
    the place was full of dark mystic, suffering energies,
    tears burst out , here was i, a musician working late and trying to catch up on a snack and sunrise,and where i ended up,
    next morning was fingerprinted ten times ( still wonder why so many times ).
    and they forgot about me, shite , i like open spaces and that cell, could feel all the dark deeds done in that space,
    sat down and went into a meditative trance, in the evening they found out that i was not a terrorist, but they coudnt release me without some high authority’s signature,
    a cop then took me on my rented bike to the man in charge, all he said to me was go home, please leave goa,
    man what a trip, but god was with me every moment i felt his prescence near, and in the other corner was a darker side of god again,
    bo0om
    fLUXman

7. Leaf says:

I don’t believe in death.
    I see it as stepping on a ‘plane’
    and arriving in an other realm
    which is not so different from this one
    until we have reached the place of
    inner peace, purity, Love absolute
    and then we are home
    at one with God and the universe.

Faith and Patience
    absolutely, Aditya
    Admitting an infernal weak-spot
    I walk with a limp and so travel
    on the back of a horse – good old Hope and Charity
    Laughing in the face of fear, like a mad, drunken fool, waving the sword, Freedom, in like manner, as a novice….and occasionally fall off laughing till I cry!!
    or something like that.
    LOVE

8. faith says:

Such a beautiful story.

The conclusion is marvellous… Hoping for nothing, hoping for the grace of God.

I’m realising that death is not a joke because we are livinf on EARTH, and it’s for everyone of us the same end…

Thank you.
    Faith

9. Maris says:

The two rabbis acted differently on the same situation because they have different expectations and not because they have different levels of spiritual maturity. The first one felt fear because he expects something worst might still happen. The other one felt hope because he perceived that the current situation they were in is already the worst. And what comes after the worst? Nothing, but… something better.

That’s what I thought…

10. This post is on time for me. I have to save my energy.

11. aditya says:

How damn true !

once something has happned it has happned, if it was great, great !! if it was bad, and we are still around, hope !! for the best ! well ! what else ??

shraddha & saburi – ( that adorable old man saint saibaba ( saint is used only in the sence of describing some state of being not some designation by the church )) faith and patience well these are the only two legs for a wol to walk on, if the going gets tough !!!? otherwise he he he !!! laugh all the way ….

aditya