Judging my brother

One of the monks at Sceta committed a grave fault, and the wisest hermit was summoned to judge him.

The hermit refused, but when the other monks insisted, he answered their call. He arrived carrying on his back a bucket with a hole in it, out of which sand was spilling.

‘I came to judge my brother,’ said the hermit to the monastery superior. ‘My sins are spilling out behind me like the sand from this bucket, but since I don’t look back and don’t notice my own sins, I was summoned to judge my brother!’

The monks immediately gave up any idea of punishment.

Comments

1. raj says:

it's like pointing one finger to others and point the rest 4 fingers towards our own self.

love and peace to all,
    raj

2. Noor says:

Dear Paulo, this is indeed an inspiring story :)
    I have just finished your book The Zahir, and I thought it amazing, like all of the books I’ve read for you… I want to ask you a question:
    Who is the father of Esther’s child? is he Dos?? That was somehow confusing but it was nonethless a greaaat book! :)

3. raj says:

it’s like pointing one finger to others and point the rest 4 fingers towards our own self.

love and peace to all,
    raj

4. aditya says:

If only the real judges of our courts could get that. There have been several high profile cases in India recetly, the ‘lecture’ accompanying some judgements do smell of ‘holier than thou’ attitude !

but crime & punishment have been intrguing humanity for long, what gives society a right to punish !! Khahlil Gibran’s views on this in the prophet are worth contemplating !

5. Clary Lopez says:

It’s so true, we sometimes judge without thinking of our many faults and weaknesses. Knowing our fragile nature should help us be more forgiving towards others.

6. Leaf says:

As long as we learn from our mistakes and forgiveness but we must do better next time xx