Miss Cockroach and the coin

An old children’s story tells of Miss Cockroach, who found a coin as she was sweeping out her house. After a long time spent at her window, choosing the right mate to accommodate all her fears and anxieties, she ended up marrying John Shrew. And as everyone knows, John Shrew fell in the stew.

Often in our lives, we find a coin that has been given to us by fate, and we believe it to be the one treasure of our lives. We end up placing so much value on that one thing that fate – the same fate that gave us the coin – decides to take it back.

Those who are afraid of making a choice, always choose wrongly.

Comments

1. agnieszka says:

Dear Paulo,

There are some things in life that are just simple, but we complicate them, somehow.
    Sometimes the easier, the decision, the more confused we become.
    Specially when it comes to feelings, we tend to get lost with what to do and as Paulo wrote,
    the longer we wait the worse the decision.

For me,
    when I really have this feeling that something is right, I just do it.
    Life is too short to wait, to postpone.
    Even if I burn myself because of that, it’s the experience that matters.
    We learn from that, don’t we?

Here’s a part of the poem I wrote:
    …….
    there’s more to this life than to sleep.
    Wake up,
    Life goes on,
    Don’t wait up.

Love
    Agnieszka

2. tere616 says:

Hi Paulo,
    Couldn’t agree more than you.
    But we always have to make a choice, as long as we live. It can be wrong, it can be right.

How we see it, right or wrong, it depends on our value and our purpose in life.

Sometimes, a wrong choice is God answer of our prayer. The way God teach us to become mature person.

Thank you for sharing the idea.

3. fLUXman says:

bo0om paulo,
    this is a paradox which is like a nested loop, this sort of thought is what leads us to unhappiness,
    we as humanity have already found a way out of this , by imagining parallel universes, so whatever you do is oh K .
    just a matter of understanding , choosing , getting scared are all natural reactions to emotions.
    the light at the end of the tunnel is trying to acheive a zero state of mind.
    bo0om
    fLUXman

4. MyzPax says:

A few years ago a friend sent me this cell-phone message. I love it so much I re-send it every now and then to all my friends:

The winds that sometimes, take something we love away from us, are the same that bring us something we learn to love… That’s why we should not cry to long for what was taken away from us, but we should learn to love what was given to us… Every thing that is really ours never goes away forever.

Love, love, love

MyzPax

5. Yza says:

Those who are afraid of making a choice, delay making a decision. That’s why when the time came when he got the courage to choose, there are only few choices left which are least from the rest among the previous choices. And he has to settled for it…

6. Mergime says:

The last sentence really touched me!
    And the comments really touched my heart…makes me realise that there are many people out there who feel the same way…

Love
    Mergime

7. Marjo says:

Oh, well. I have always believed eversince that day I finished reading one of the books of Buscaglia that life is made of choices. We even choose whether to live or die. And every choice we make entails a lot of courage, Risking ourselves to failing. But choosing is a risk in itself. And without risking is only of death. I mean, I am alive. Why be afraid of making a choice when it is what makes life beautiful and wonderful and mysterious, yet amazing and magical? I am alive. And as long as I am, I will not stop risking… making a choice, that is.

8. Samuel says:

Dear Paulo,

I’ve just had the one thing that I treasured the most taken away from me. It’s funny to think how fate plays around with our life. At one point, we’re at the top of our life; then suddenly, we sink to the deepest bottom.

However, I started to see that life wasn’t all about that one treasure. There are many treasures in our life. Some, we already have, but we don’t realize it or take it for granted. The rest are waiting to be found out there. Live moves on, with or without that one treasure I’ve lost.

Losing one treasure leads to the discovery of many other treasures.

9. agnieszka says:

Dear Paulo,

Sometimes the easier, the decision, the more confused we become.
    the longer we wait the worse the decision.

For me,
    when I really have this feeling that something is right, I just do it.
    Life is too short to wait, to postpone.
    Even if I burn myself because of that, it’s the experience that matters.
    We learn from that, don’t we?

Here’s a part of the poem I wrote:
    …….
    there’s more to this life than to sleep.
    Wake up,
    Life goes on,
    Don’t wait up.

Love
    Agnieszka

10. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo

The irony of the universe has gotten my attention in the last few months. For a very long time, i’ve been contemplating how the very same hand that gives us immense happiness, can simply just take it all away. It let me to doubt the system for a while, and confusion settled in.. But now, i’m beginning to see that everything is how it should be, even though life may see very cruel to us at times. I suppose whats most important, is hanging in there until you begin to see the purpose of it all..and hanging in there until you start to see the good in everything else regardless of your one treasure. I’m beginning to think that there isn’t only one treasure given to us, maybe when we tend to focus most of our energy on that one treasure see brightly that we forget to see the others treasures around us, and possibly even the treasure within us. Maybe thats why fate sometimes takes back her gifts.. To make us see that all around us, and we ourselves are treasures as well. But thats just a thought.. What do you think? Anyway.. This was a good story, hope you can comment further on this- especially more towards the end :)

Yajna

11. Natalie says:

I find that choice is not possible when fear is present and it is this which causes the problem. In the absence of choice, the individual loses the power to determine his or her own destiny and as such is subject to the whims or choices of others.

12. Christine says:

So what is the message here…that if you are afraid of making a choice you shouldn’t make one? Everyone has fears about certain choices, right? I think if you are afraid of choosing something you should stop thinking about it and go with your instinct. What do you think? What do you do in situations like that?