The second chance

– I have always been fascinated by the story of the Sibylline Books – I commented to Mônica, my friend and literary agent, as we drove to Portugal. – One must make the most of opportunities, or they are lost forever.

The Sibyls were sorcerers capable of seeing into the future and lived in ancient Rome. One day, one of them went to the Emperor Tiberius’s palace with nine books; she said that they contained the future of the Empire, and demanded ten talents of gold in exchange for the texts. Tiberius considered the price exorbitant and refused to buy them.

The Sibyl left, burned three books and returned to Tiberius with the remaining six: “these cost the same ten talents of gold,” she said. Tiberius laughed and sent her away; how could she possibly be so bold as to sell six books for the same price as nine?

The Sibyl burned three more books and returned to Tiberius with the last three volumes: “they cost the same ten talents of gold”. Intrigued, Tiberius ended up buying the three volumes, and could only read a small portion of the future.

Just as I was finishing the story, I realized that we were passing through Ciudad Rodrigo, on the frontier between Spain and Portugal. There, four years earlier, I had been offered a book, but hadn’t bought it.

– Let’s stop. I think the fact that I remembered the Sibylline Books was a sign for me to correct a past mistake.

During my first author tour to promote my books in Europe, I had decided to have lunch in that town. Afterwards, I went to visit the cathedral, where I met a priest. “See how the afternoon sun makes everything more beautiful in here,” he said. I liked this comment, we talked a little, and he showed me around the altars, cloisters, and courtyards of the temple. In the end, he offered me a book he had written about the church; but I did not wish to buy it. After I left, I felt guilty; I am a writer, and was in Europe trying to sell my work – why not buy the priest’s book, out of solidarity? But then I completely forgot the episode. Until now.

I stopped the car; Mônica and I walked to the square facing the church, where a woman was gazing up into the sky.

– Good afternoon. – I’ve come to see a priest who wrote a book about this church.

– The priest, whose name was Stanislau, died a year ago – she answered.

I felt deeply saddened. Why had I not given Father Stanislau the same joy I felt whenever I saw someone with one of my books?

– He was one of the kindest men I have ever met – continued the woman.- He came from a humble family, but became a specialist in archeology; he helped my son obtain a college grant.

I told her what I was doing there.

– There’s no need to feel guilty, my son – she said. – Go and visit the cathedral again.

I thought this must be a sign, and did as she said. There was just one priest in the confession booth, awaiting the faithful, although there were none just then. I went over to him; the priest gestured for me to kneel down, but I interrupted him.

– I don’t want to make a confession. I just came to buy a book about this church, written by a man named Stanislau.

The priest’s eyes glinted. He came out of the confession booth and returned a few minutes later with a copy of the book.

– How marvelous of you to have come especially for that! – he said. – I am Father Stanislau’s brother, and this fills me with pride! He must be in heaven, content at seeing his work considered so important!

Among all the priests there, I happened to have run into Stanislau’s brother. I paid for the book, thanked him and he embraced me. Just as I was leaving, I heard his voice.

– See how the afternoon sun makes everything more beautiful in here! – he said.

They were the same words Father Stanislau had spoken to me four years earlier. In life, there is always a second chance.

Comments

1. chieko says:

beautiful story…

thank you.

2. raj says:

Blessed are those who got the second chance and restore the mistake happen in the first chance. Life is always full of blessing.

3. Tania says:

And I bet it was a wonderful book ,you where just meant to read it 4 years later …Timing
    And you had to learn about the beauty of the 2 chance but everyone is right God gives us every opportunity to work his magic .And I am sure not only was Father Stanislau smiling ,all of heaven would have been .
    Blessings Tania

4. Zuleyka Sanchez says:

wow how cool should feel to finally know you had a second chance and you were brave enough to detect it and take it …. :)

5. Agnieszka says:

Dear Karen, I don’t know for what you thank me, but you’re welcome.
    love
    Agnieszka

6. Agnieszka says:

Beautiful..Annie.
    love
    Agnieszka

7. maria says:

The universe is a vast ocean of opportunities
    One thousand and one chances are still waiting to unfold.

I hope so ,for I have made many mistakes in my life.Is true I was given a very great second oppotunity once.I cant deny .Love you

9. Karen says:

Carmen you are right.
    No coincidence Paulo that you put a quote about God being whereever we let Him in.
    And then you tell this beautiful story about the Second Chance with the book.
    You stopped,prompted by your telling the story to Monica and LET GOD IN. And the result was this miracle of Love you created and shared with the brother of the priest.
    These are the vibrations of Agape, of God in our souls.
    We need as Carmen says to let His Light In.
    Beautiful.
    thank you Paulo.
    Gracias Carmen.
    Thank you Annie.
    Karen.

10. Svenja says:

wonderful story

11. Agnieszka says:

and that’s what makes this life worth living…worth dreaming…

love
    Agnieszka

12. Carmen Larisa says:

And not only a second chance, but also a third, fourth and so on… The condition is for us to accept and take it because no one can do anything for us if we don’t want to, this is the beauty of free will, to realize what you really are, to open your eyes to the Truth, the Light of the Spirit. And if we refuse, we suffer. Ignorance is the greatest sin and punishment at the same time, because Light is sufficient and if we reject it, we are the ones who lose, as the Light is complete and we are not as long as we don’t identify with it. That is why so many chances are offered by God, for us to believe in the infinite power of good and go on the right path of enlightment and love! :-)

All the best in the whole world and lots of hugs,
    Carmen Larisa