“2084” Is China Building the Next-Generation Police State?

Today in Digg, found this disturbing article written by Casey Kazan for the Daily Galaxy based on an article written by Naomi Klein for Rolling Stone

Thirty years ago the new Chinese city of Shenzhen did not exist. Today, with the help of U.S. defense contractors, the booming city is a model for a high-tech police state 2.0. And, according to some authorities, it’s ready for export.

(…)

Today, Shenzhen situated on the Pearl River Delta, is a city of 12.4 million people and now houses roughly 100,000 factories. As Naomi Klein writes in her brilliant first-person memoir in the current issue of Rolling Stone, “there is a good chance that at least half of everything you own was made here: iPods, laptops, sneakers, flatscreen TVs, cellphones, jeans, maybe your desk chair, possibly your car and almost certainly your printer. Hundreds of luxury condominiums tower over the city; many are more than 40 stories high, topped with three-story penthouses. Newer neighborhoods like Keji Yuan are packed with ostentatiously modern corporate campuses and decadent shopping malls.”

As China prepares to showcase its economic advances during the upcoming Olympics in Beijing, Shenzhen, Klein continues, “is once again serving as a laboratory, a testing ground for the next phase of a vast social experiment. Over the past two years, some 200,000 surveillance cameras have been installed throughout the city. Many are in public spaces, disguised as lampposts. The closed-circuit TV cameras will soon be connected to a single, nationwide network, an all-seeing system that will be capable of tracking and identifying anyone who comes within its range — a project driven in part by U.S. technology and investment. Over the next three years, Chinese security executives predict they will install as many as 2 million CCTVs in Shenzhen, which would make it the most watched city in the world.”

(…)

To read the rest for the article please go here.

Comments

1. […] “2084″ Is China Building the Next-Generation Police State? Today in Digg, found this disturbing article written by Casey Kazan for the Daily Galaxy… […]

2. Maosays.. says:

Communism is great! But the world is not ready for it until we solve the world food problem,eliminate money,and stop placing values on objects. A world that have no need for money, or have to worry about food will be a world where everyone can be equal. It will be the next revolution where people will improve themselves through arts,science,etc.

3. Pandora says:

I do not believe the whole world will become a “police state”.

I believe in Hope.

Belief is the precursor to actualisation, in other words: Believe it, and it will happen.

4. aditya says:

no society should continue which gives more importance to society over individuals. sadly China is one such example.

U know why chinese are supplying to rest of teh world, not because they are great managers, but because the society rules over individuals ( again in name of society, few modern day ‘kings’ rule ) , no human rights, if one is asked to vacate some land for an SEZ, no question or protest, no question of ‘adequate’ compensation.

Godless states are staes which take humanity to below level of humanity.

Often in India people try to emulate chinese example, but production and so called proseperity is not everything. their is something called individual freedom, individual spirit, unless that is noursished and respecetd, we are falling below the level of huamn potential.
    “Better to starve free than be a fat slave ” – Aesop’s Fables.

communism has failed, as it was destined to, while it focuses too much on all that is godly in man, in theory: in practice what we have seen is that all that is beastly in man takes over. It has taught some good lesons also though, capitalism like the one we are facing in the world is also not sustainable. Democarcy as we know it, must be reformed, vulgur claws of wealth removed from its practices, otherwise capitalism will devour it.

Hope we learn the right lessons from china, and don’t do what all they do to their citizens !!

in the meantime all we can do is pray ! for them and for us, to be spared such ‘atrocities’.

5. Tania says:

I know I am surprised we are not stamped made in China..But I hope they can get it together for in the future ,;lets hope with that many eyes on the place something good will come out of it ,its the children I feel for..
    Love and Light Tania

6. Nancy says:

It’s hard to say whether the Chinese government is afraid of their citizens or worried for them. I’m praying that with the surge of wealth, post-Olympics, post earthquake, new technology, that the government of China as well as the people will bring about a new society. People spreading knowledge, taking care of one another, giving back, looking after the environment(water,land,air,wildlife), social services. Actually I wish this for all countries.

7. Daniel says:

To German Fafian: The quote is attributed to Ben Franklin.

Ya know, I find myself thinking everyday what I can do to help. What I can do to raise awareness, to get the people of my country to care about what is happening.(By the way, I live in the United States) But I find that the vast majority of people just dont want to be bothered. Its the kind of mentality that allowed the United States to be stolen and used as a tool for world domination in the first place. The people in America have no clue that the Government has fooled them (or us I quess since I live here) into believing that it is not their place to be worried about politics. We, in America, are more concerned with the superficial, than with the actual. It is a sad sad story. But, more and more, I truly believe that the evil in the world, which seems to dominate, will be corrected on its own. I have kind of a Taoist belief. The Taoist symbol is the ying yang. Everything in life has a neccesary opposite. When one becomes to prevelent, the other does what it can to correct things. Now, with that being said, I would like to write to everyone an interesting quote. It is from the Tao Te Ching. The book that forms the basis of Taoism, by a sixth century b.c. wiseman named Lao Tsu. I read a page a night and ponder on what is said. I just read this quote last night and I think that it fits perfectly with what is going on right now in the world:

“Whenever you advise a ruler in the way of the Tao,
    Counsel him not to use force to conquer the universe.
    For this would only cause resistance.
    Thorn bushes spring up whereever the army has passed.
    Lean years follow in the wake of a great war.
    Just do what needs to be done.
    Never take advantage of power…

…Force is followed by loss of strength.
    This is not the way of Tao..
    That which goes against the Tao
    comes to an early end”

Let me know what you guys think..For anyone who would like to email me…dsecor84@aol.com

Thankyou
    Daniel

8. Those willing to sacrifice their freedom for sdecurity are not worthy of either one.
    “By one of USA’s independence fathers whose name I can’t recall”
    This is starting to sound like Orwell’ 1984

9. The bigger you are the harder you will fall.

10. Esteban says:

Remember don’t give up freedom because of fear. That will be the way the police state takes over in the US. Already has become a fascist government.