The stories of the desert priests

During the early part of the Christian era, the monastery at Scete became a center where many people gathered. After renouncing everything they had, they went to live in the desert surrounding the monastery. Many of the teachings of these men have been collected and published in numerous books.

The town on the far side

A hermit from the monastery of Scete went to Abbot Theodore:

- I know precisely the objective of life. I know what God asks of man, and I know the best way of serving Him. Even so, I am incapable of doing everything I should in order to serve the Lord.

Abbot Theodore remained silent for a time. Finally, he said:

- You know that there is a city on the far side of the ocean. But you haven’t yet found the ship, nor have you loaded your bags, nor crossed the sea. Why spend time commenting on what it is like, or how one should walk through its streets?

“Knowing the objective of life, or recognizing the best way of serving the Lord is not enough. Put into practice that which you think, and the way will be revealed all by itself.”

Comments

1. Tania says:

Its much like that saying practice what you preach ..or serve ,saying it does not hold much at all .putting it into practice speaks louder .Blessings Tania

2. Liara Covert says:

Many human beings will sense what is right, appropriate or in the interest of their learning and growth. This doesn’t mean they take the initiative to do these things. This helps people begin to understand the difference between theory and practice, thinkers and doers. It can be a very long way between the conception of a thought and the effort exerted to make it happen. The mind can be a very powerful obstacle. It creates debilitating illusions which ironically prevent meaningful action when the illusions don’t exist.

3. Agnieszka says:

Lots of love and kisses for my sweet Danusia!!!

Agnieszka
    P.S. Cannot send you an email, sth’s wrong with my mail box.
    :-(

4. Agnieszka says:

Lots of love to you, Wanbliska, Annie, all of you.
    Thanks a lot for your warm words.

“one nice word can keep one warm for years”

love
    Agnieszka

5. wanbliska says:

dear Agnoreszka,

So you were travelling? ok! I was wondering about your silence. Now I understand.
    Thanks for the answer. And so welcome back home! ;)
    Love.

6. Agnieszka says:

Dear Wanbliska
    it’s hard to have internet anywhere you go, when you’re on vacation in different countries.
    with love
    Agnieszka

7. wanbliska says:

Dear Agnieszka,
    I wrote this without seeing you were above, and that you wrote “yes…” That’s funny ;)
    I’m happy you’re here.
    Have a great weekend.

With love.

8. wanbliska says:

Oh yes…

9. Agnieszka says:

“Why spend time commenting on what it is like, or how one should walk through its streets?”
    it’s like explaining the rain, the sunshine, emotions..

we can…feel it..

love
    Agnieszka

10. Tania says:

So,action is the key word.One cannot live only in contemplation.Dare and you willfind the way.Am I a good pupil?Love