Reflections on Life – What will they say of you?

As a boy, Abin-Alsar overheard a conversation between his father and a dervish.

“Careful with your work”, said the dervish. “Think of what future generations will say about you.”

“So what?”, replied his father, “When I die, everything shall end, and it will not matter what they say.”

Abin-Alsar never forgot that conversation. His whole life, he made an effort to do good, to help people and go about his work with enthusiasm. He became well-known for his concern for others; when he died, he left behind a great number of things which improved the quality of life in his town.

On his tombstone, he had the following epitaph engraved:

“A life which ends with death, is a life not well spent.”

Comments

1. wanbliska says:

Dear Paulo,
    I encountered no problem to go forward the first pages of “The Pilgrimage”.
    What you write today reminds me about the exercice of being buried alive… This makes me wonder about my behaviour towards death. Curious book, as for some things I hope my heart will find time to tell you.
    Well, comes Petrus, that really disturbed me last winter… A good manner to know him more, by the way.

Here is about what I'm going to let behind me. Once I've written my necrologic paper. But in a way, I more and more prefer to improve myself, than letting a name, a monument, or a deep bank account.

For those that know me, how could I speak the Good or silence the Devil in them? If they want to tell good or bad things on my dead body? To apply or not the best sentences my mouth could have pronounced? To read sincerely or not what I've written? To pardon my mistakes, and things I could have failed?
    They'll say good and bad. Human nature is so directed. But I wish, they'll respect my goods, not judging my faults. As I'm behaving towards Dead people.

2. Serena says:

“A life which ends with death, is a life not well spent”?? Why? Death is not an option… Death is imminent, Death in itself is a revival of the soul… and doesn’t the soul remain eternal? like a phoenix reliving from its ashes…
    the beauty of life is about giving..spreading light…we all hold something..and that thing even after death… will remain the thin line that bridges our soul to the world we have left… A life not well spent ends with death, but a life very well spent ends in eternity… it all lies in how much we give,,, only then the thin line bridges among our soul….
    But for me, personally, the most beautiful thing is when we spend our lifetime giving… without even caring what will happen as we die… it is not about living and giving to leave a footprint and be proud of it, it is rather about living and giving to leave a footprint that will help others to guide themselves and be happy…we shall all do the right thing for the sake of other’s happiness….

3. leafytunes says:

great line! :) :) :)

4. wanbliska says:

Dear Paulo,
    I encountered no problem to go forward the first pages of “The Pilgrimage”.

Here is about what I’m going to let behind me. Once I’ve written my necrologic paper. But in a way, I more and more prefer to improve myself, than letting a name, a monument, or a deep bank account.

For those that know me, how could I speak the Good or silence the Devil in them? If they want to tell good or bad things on my dead body? To apply or not the best sentences my mouth could have pronounced? To read sincerely or not what I’ve written? To pardon my mistakes, and things I could have failed?
    They’ll say good and bad. Human nature is so directed. But I wish, they’ll respect my goods, not judging my faults. As I’m behaving towards Dead people.

5. dee says:

Sufi way: Love, work, service, and remembrance of God

They are my four commandments of life…these words lighten up my heart

6. Tania says:

Thats it again …love and treasure your life ,and everyone eles too. Love *Tania*

7. Agnieszka says:

Love and never hurt anyone,
    “because when you die, God will ask not how you lived but how you loved” – Paulo Coelho

love