The prayer of the flock

Jewish tradition tells the story of a shepherd who always said to the Lord: “Master of the Universe, if You have a flock, I shall look after it for free, for I love You.”

One day a wise man heard this strange prayer. Worried that it might offend God, he taught the shepherd the prayers he knew. But as soon as they were parted, the shepherd forgot the prayers; however, fearful of offending God by offering to tend to his flocks, he decided to abandon completely all conversations with Him.

That same night the wise man had a dream: “Who guards the Lord’s flocks?” said an angel. “The shepherd prayed with his heart, and you taught him to pray with his mouth.”

The following day the wise man returned, asked the shepherd to forgive him, and included the Prayer of the Flock in his book of psalms.

Comments

1. Heart says:

Yes, just as you open the Note in “By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept”, about the Aztec priests who just say; “God you are there, we are there. Have pity on us”.

2. Cecilia Portillo says:

Que lindo!1! Africa!!!!!
    Estaré conectada en la oración cuando ustedes lo indiquen.
    Pasen una buena velada.
    Saludos desde los Andes Americanos.
    Cecilia

3. Agnieszka says:

No matter how we pray, what we say, if we say it from the bottom of our heart.. it will be heard.

love
    Agnieszka

p.s.2. The man of the story, was a master of ‘exomatosis'[out of the body experience] because of his holiness, but he did not know …a ‘proper prayer’ of the scholars. LOVE, Thelma.

5. Heart says:

p.s. I have just found the details in the google. Paramahansa yogananda,is the correct spelling. Thelma

I read, once, a story in “The self-biography of a yogi” by Parahamsa Joganada[I am not sure about the spelling].
    A simple man was living in an island and had the reputation of being a Saint. One day three Wise men went to visit him. While they were there, they said to him that he should know a ‘proper’prayer. So they taught him.. They embark in the ship and left. Suddenly he apperared in front of them and humbly he asked them : could you, please, repeat once again the words, I have forgotten them…. LOVE, THELMA