That which is funny about man

A disciple asked Hejasi:

– I want to know what is the most funny thing about human beings.

Hejasi said:

– That they always think crooked: they’re in a hurry to grow, then lament their lost childhood, and soon loose the money they need to keep their health.

“They live as if they were never going to die, and die as if they had never lived.”

Comments

1. alem says:

…those words are really worth pondering…

Georgiana, So we are so ..near.. I live in Limassol. I am a..grandmother learning from the youth internet and ‘Living in the present..’ and from Paulo Coelho’s books the Path. [By the way I live just above ..a bookshop named "Bibliochora"]. I will be glad to meet you sometime. After all, ‘we sing the same song’
    Love and thank you too,
    Thelma

3. austere says:

Very difficult.
    My mind wanders.

4. georgiana says:

Thelma from cyprus, i live in cyprus too..i know its story too from my family and I agree with you with everything that you said..Cypriots are really funny but sometimes i think they are somehow happy …they do not live in the future but neither in the present they feel comfortble as they are…you and Paul from Austria have interesting things to tell about:)
    let’s be happy in the present with everything that has to offer without regreting anything coz every experience is meant to happen for our spiritual grow…

Well, I think for me that:
    ‘I live as I am going to die next minute and,
    I think I am going to die without living..’ A wasted life????

@ Paul from Austria, or any one from you, just write my name.surname@hotmail.com and I am here, an ‘idle house-wife’, in Cyprus. I think, we will make a big party with Paulo Coelho one day.
    So, after all, you are Paul the Pilot, helping people out of the Hell in 1974, in Cyprus.
    Of course I mention it often.. Life has changed for eveybody dramatically since then.. I was ‘lucky’ I did not loose anything, being from Limassol, but to see the tragedy around has influenced the life of everybody..
    Love,
    Thelma

6. sabine says:

“They are so anxious about the future, that they neglect the present, and thus live in neither the present nor the future.”

for me this is so true. Sometimes I just feel like my life is simply passing by and I’m making so many plans for the future but don’t really look at where I am standing. Lately I have realized this, with college and everything. I’m glad I did.

the rest its true by the way, how we live as if we are never going to die, and when we die as if we had never lived. So true and sad, we worry too much about so much.

That is why we need to enjoy each moment, to know where we stand and to grasp it and make the best of it.

It’s funny, I know this and have always said it. It is so easy to say it, but can one really live everyday like that? I wonder. Maybe sometimes we do live like that and without realizing it we try to make the best of everything. But sometimes, there are just those sad moments where you can’t help it. Ahhh what a dilema.

7. Tania says:

Yes cherish everything ! so very true ..this is it ! right here ,right now ..present moment ..Love and having a appetite for life …Tania

8. Nanci says:

Wouldn’t it be nice to say, “They live as if they are going to die, and die as if they have truly lived.”

To me, it’s all about finding your own balance…

9. Dinu says:

oh my so much said in such simple words…this is really sad that this actually is true for many people….
    i guess what we all need to is to understand the value of life,of what we have…& i must say Mr Paulo Coelho your books really make this easy to understand…they inspire its readers to really see the beauty around them & most importantly the beauty that lies within themselves.
    thanks.

10. wanbliska says:

It’s not so funny…but for Hejasi that seems to have found the secret key of life. Lao tseu that’d pass that way would have told him, that one always speak about something man don’t know. And maybe noone would have laughed further.

11. Agnieszka says:

I love those words..so true..
    cherish the life, cherish every moment..

love
    Agnieszka

12. Lia says:

Beautiful story…and very true unfortunately for many people…
    Love,
    Lia

It is said that: We, Cypriots build houses as if we will live for ever and eat as if we will die tomorrow!!

Well not all of us. But, if you ever come to Cyprus, you will find out how much appreciation exists for material things. It is, I think, a phenomenon that happened after the Turkish invasion in 1974. Many people have lost everything, but especially their faith for justice. At the same time, we have become more religious and rely our hopes to God. Disappoinment from the politicians of the World.
    Love,