Knowing how to listen to insults

In a kingdom of Arabia lived a queen called Layla. Her wisdom illuminated the land like the sun, her beauty blinded men, and her wealth was greater than any of her subjects.

One morning, her chief advisor asked to see her, and said:

- Great queen Layla! You are the wisest, most beautiful and wealthiest women in the world. But I have heard unpleasant things; some people laugh at or complain about your decisions. Why, in spite of all you have done for your subjects, are they still not content?

The queen laughed and replied:

- Loyal advisor, you know how much I have done for my kingdom. Seven regions are under my control, and all of them have enjoyed peace and prosperity. In all the towns, the decisions of my court are just and inspired.

"I can do almost everything I wish. I can order the frontiers to be closed, the gates of the palace to be locked, the treasury coffers sealed indefinitely.

"But there is one thing I cannot do: make the people shut their mouths. It matters not what false things people say; the important thing is to continue to do that which I consider to be true."

Comments

This is an example of strong personality and self confidence.

2. Vedrana says:

Thank you for this story, I needed it.
    love Vedrana

3. Gry Wagner says:

what is right for you is not necesarily right for another,
    what is easy for you is not always easy for somebody else,
    what is hard for you might not be hard for your friend or your foe,
    what makes you happy can make another person cry

it is in the acceptence of this that humans should learn that we are all different from eachother and it is that exact difference that makes us eachothers mentors and teachers on the twisting path called life

there is no such thing as right or wrong

what doesnt kill you makes you stronger,

The list of cliches goes on forever but cliches can only become cliches when they contain a certain amount of truth..
    try to look at a person without judging them, see with a childs eyes, be open and not rigid in your beliefs concerning the world and the people inhibiting it and true wonders will appear, right now, in front of you, everyday, for the rest of your life..

4. Akua says:

What people think of you is only the sum of their own experience, and nothing to do with you.
    Thank you for the inspirational story, Paulo!

Dear Paul from Austria, thank you for appreciating the ‘wisdom’ of my parents, who tried to make us acquire confidence, self-judgment, discipline and be strong and resist the temptations of ..easy life. They also knew that other people not always have good intentions and they wanted to protect us, as I do the same for my children.
    Of course, my love for Paulo Coelho is given and his books and wisdom have changed my life and the life of so many people and I believe the ‘Alchemist” is the book that has offered HOPE to humanity.
    Have a nice..Sunday.
    LOVE,
    THELMA

6. leafytunes says:

really glad that pple such as Layla are around. In fact, read Pillars of the Earth… it has a Prior Phillip character in there that inspires me in the same way.

7. austere says:

When the insults are said, it is VERY VERY difficult to take them in.

And so much pain when one wonders at the pain one may unknowingly have caused another.

Thank you, Paulo Coelho, for this ‘jewel’.
    My parents, used to tell me: in every moment of your life you must act doing your best and utmost and according to your conscience. Every night, before you go to sleep, ‘think’, judge what your thoughts and actions have been and never try to lie or give excuses to ‘yourself’. If you have a clean consience you will always sleep..like a baby. NEVER BE AFFECTED BY THE WORDS AND ACTIONS OF OTHERS.
    Like Odysseus, he was strong enough not to be affected by the Sirens, the Cyclopes .. although, being wise, he put cotton in the ears of his crew!!! Again Ithaki, by C.Kavafis.
    Love,
    Thelma

9. Pipoqueiro says:

Paulo Coelho é um dos maiores escritores brasileiros e um grande representante da literatura lusofonica. Pena que a midia brasileira não se sabe por que não dá o reconhecido valor.

10. Liara Covert says:

This timeless tale reminds people taht it is not what people do around you that shapes your life but rather, how you choose to react (or not) to what they do.

11. Tania says:

I love that story -its a pretty name Layla ,to go along with her good looks ,wealth ,wisdom ..and she is just and inspired …all of these things speak for her kingdom ,but people are not satisfied unless they have something to complain about …or talk about -she laughed because she knew it matters not ..such a great story ..Blessings Tania

12. luce says:

Dear Paulo,
    Simple, lovely and so true !
    With love
    Luce

13. mariangela says:

Acho que faz parte da vida, infelizmente… mas e daí?
    Mesmo que incomode quem não entende, o que vale a pena é acreditarmos em algo muito maior / único : Amor.
    Eu acho que todas os nossos movimentos em prol daquilo que a gente acredita, tenha Fé , Ame de verdade, tudo bem.
    Beijos,
    Mari Raphael.

This is an example of strong personality and self confidence.

15. hope says:

<You really know when to write the right thing at the right time.haha,i wanted to express that anger on someone for pokingme without reasons but no good word came out,and ur story made it so easy to tell.I just need to send the story to them .Thanx so much
    love hope

16. Monika says:

The moon is not irritated by a dog barking at her.