A week in my life

An ordinary week

Of course this is only in the realm of the so-called “reality”. There is a lot more in my imagination!

SUNDAY

A] Driving to Geneve alone. Six hours and no important conclusion, decision. A couple of phone calls using the Bluetooth device in the car; people cannot hear me, although I can hear them. I asked a friend where the car micro is. He gave me the wrong instructions, as his model is different from mine. I stopped making phone calls. Controlling myself to not think about work, as I am a workaholic, and I made a promise of never thinking about work on Sundays.

B] Gas Station. A fantastic collection of handmade metal models – cars, boats, etc. I always stop in this gas station, and I always check who made these models. Finally, during the week, I managed to send them an email. Hope they will send the catalog. If they do, I will buy 100 pieces and put in my empty shelves.

C] Shower. Nap. Dinner with a friend. She tells me that a man she was dating only wants to make love to her, nothing else. I don’t know what to say.

MONDAY

A] The alarm clock rings at 10:15 – and as a Plan B (Virgos always have a Plan B) the wake up service calls my room. New cowboy boots, bought in Paris – and I am going to a meeting as a Board Member of the Schwab Foundation. Shall I go with these boots, red, white and black? Yes.

B ] Meeting a friend who works in finance for a late breakfast. What is going to happen to the financial markets? He has many answers. I pretend that I believe in what he is telling me, but it seems that everybody is lost in this field. He asks me to sign two books – one being my biography (which I did not write). Nice person. But the financial market is a casino. I don’t have a single cent in any of these funds, bonds, etc. Advantages of being a Virgo: you don’t take financial risks.

C ] Lunch before the Board Meeting. I ask: what is the situation in Georgia? Nobody wants to talk about Georgia. They love my cowboy boots.

D] Board meeting. Very professional, and no stress at all. I love participating, and I learn a lot. This is one of the two Boards that I attend on a regular basis.

E] I forget the documents at the roof of the car, so when I leave the place and turn left, all papers fell in the road. I stop and start collecting the papers. Another board member is leaving, and asks me if I need help. No, it is too dangerous to collect all these sheets in a road full of cars up and down. I will take this risk alone.

F ] Driving back – it took me 30 minutes to fulfill the task on “E”, therefore I will arrive in Paris after 10:00 PM. Calling Monica (please cancel Berlin and Praha, because of the Frankfurt Book Fair – I just learned that I will open the Fair). Calling Alexander (What do you think about the event in St. Moritz?). Calling Paula, welcoming her back to work, and asking her to check why don’t I have comments on myspace (later she tells me that there is another button to approve comments, and there were over 100 to be approved – it is not in the “In” box anymore). Calling Monica: shall we meet in Paris or Barcelona? Paris, she says.

G] Lots of things to think: how to promote The Experimental Witch. How to publish unpublished texts for internet users only (it will take another week to see the first copies online). The postcards in my blog. The meaning of life. The rest is silence, as Hamlet says.

H] Arriving in Paris around 11:00 PM. Expecting to have tons of things waiting for me, because I travelled! To another country! But there is only a few letters and two boxes. I realized that I travelled for a little more than 24 hs.

I] Dinner, computer, downloading “American History X”. Answering emails. In bed around 2:00 AM, reading “McMafia”, on parallel governments.

TUESDAY

A] Breakfast at 10:00. Coffee, milk, orange juice, bread, olive oil. It is always like this, even when I am in hotels.

B] Internet: checking some clippings on my work. Emails to be answered: after many filters, some land in my private mailbox – normally from friends. There are a couple of permission to quote me in books, etc (all of them granted). Interview (by email) to Finland, where a newspaper is going to publish my columns. Reading the news – they are the same, but I still read them.

C] Walking for one hour with Paula – she just returned from vacations. She is going to get married in October.

D] Back to edit books that I plan to put in my blog for free download or to be published on demand. I have so far three titles. We are still testing. Recording a video for a portal. Deciding which day I will record another video on Peace ( next week). Reading an interview of an stupid actor, David Thewlis, in a free metro newspaper, saying that his work in “Veronika decides to die”(to be released next year), where he plays a secondary role, was just “a two week work”. I take it personal. Then I read the rest of the interview, and he is complaining about nearly everything he did in life. I am not taking it personally anymore.

E] Archery. Shower. Internet.

E] I forgot where I had dinner. Watch “Welcome to Sarajevo”. Reading “Herald Tribune” while eating toasts.

WEDNESDAY

A] Same as A, B, C above – except that this time I walked with Maarit, a friend from Myspace that happens to be in Paris. First time that we meet, great person.

B] Monica, my agent, arrives. We talk from 3:00 PM to 2:00 AM in the morning: publication schedule of “Winner stands alone”, Frankfurt, her 40th birthday (I hope I convinced her that it would be more fun to have a party at her apt, instead of hiring a place). The talk takes place at my apt, a café, a bench in the street, back to the apt (Monica hates walking), dinner. I tell her that I am tired – she looks fresh at 2:15 AM, and it was her who had to face this new torture chamber called “airport”.

THURSDAY

A] Same as A, B, above – except that I have breakfast with Monica. Nothing better than a good night sleep to realize some things that were not clear.

B] Monica leaves, back to Barcelona. And I am back to emails, clippings, decisions, permissions, etc.

C] Juliette comes to get the sound system that Monty Shadow gave me as a gift while I was in St. Moritz. It is called Meridian, looks like a toaster, but it is very powerful – they made a demonstration during a dinner for 250 people, and everybody could hear loud and clear. Juliette needs to borrow it for her husband 40th birthday (it seems that everybody around me is turning 40 this year).

D] Walk for one hour. Sandwich. Nap. Archery. Internet again.

E] Writing my weekly column. Reading that The Experimental Witch got an important prize, even before the film is edited. (the prize is about the concept of working with the readers). I want to put in my social communities. But they say I cannot talk about the prize till the final week of September – it is secret.

F] Dinner with Chris. Watching “The Hunting Party”. Reading “McMafia” and “Herald Tribune”. Eating toasts while reading.

FRIDAY

A] Same as A, B, D above. Deciding that I am going to cancel nearly all professional trips and spend more time in Rio, Geneve and Paris. I told Monica I want to give less interviews. She said Madonna gave an interview to Charles de Gaulle airport magazine, so why should I be different? Still, I will be much more selective in accepting interviews (I am already, Monica says, there is no way to convince her).

B] Going to Champ de Mars and reading Herald Tribune there. Spending the rest of the afternoon watching people. It seems that everybody is talking in his/her mobile, or taking pictures.

C] Dinner in Akasaka, a Japanese restaurant, with Paula and Chris. Eating the same – every time I go to a restaurant, I eat the same thing I eat before. Not very creative.

D] Watching “American History X”. Normally, when Paula likes a movie, Chris and I hate. In this case, for he first time, our opinions coincide.

E] McMafia. When will I go to finish this book?

SATURDAY

A] Same as A, B, D above. Paula said during the dinner in the previous night: “you should be more personal in your posts”. I decided to write the what happens in the “real” world, although my world goes beyond this reality.

B] Going to a museum for the first time in four months. Museum Branly: features indigenous art, cultures and civilizations from Africa, Oceania, and Americas. Thinking that there is something wrong with contemporary art, these people can do much better than the icons of today. But then Monica and Chris said that I am too critical, and I should stop this.

C] Following Paula’s advice: nearly one hour to write this post. If I had to talk about what is going on in my mind during this week, it would take the whole day.

D] Posting and going to watch “Blow”(2007), with Johnny Deep. Good night.

Comments

Super market are a mine-field for me, as soon as the sliding-doors open,” Sesame Street here I come”. Words, glitter,lights, fantasy world here I come. I love words (the etimology) every person I met are characters – they have their own names – take Caza for example (short for Casanova)he is got the Latino look , works down the Supermarket. I know straight away if he is in a good mood or not depending on the way he parts his hair . He changes his hair style on a regular basis. If it is on the right or the left (good or bad mood) in the middle, it is well balanced.
    He also gives a lot of handy tips – he wears gloves when pushing trolley (watch out for the germs) puts on his i=pod or wears his sunglasses (incognito) he also looks different from everybody else, curls up his sleeves of his Xmas t-shirt and oh you should see the way he lifts up the trolley for you…quite an act I tell you. and it goes on like that everywhere I go, la vida loca for seguro.
    Just in passing too prices have gone down….cross fingers!
    Ah also it’s always the same :rice and prawns.

Have a nice day.

2. anoni says:

humbly i confess that so many of your posts reach that inconvenient yearning in me, and remind me that one day i must broadly use my voice, too–

the inner minutiae you didn’t include is my proof…

keep finding a way to bridge the worlds.

3. veenu grover says:

dear paulo, what went on in your mind and heart this week? share a few moments

4. Lucia Diaz says:

Dear Pablo,

You told as about your life. Sometimes simple and common like ours, sometimes different with meeting and events as a famous author.
    But I would like to know about Pablo, the man.
    Do you ever look at the moon have the feeling of being part of a huge universse? What is your favorite smell? Do you have dreams? Do lesrn from your dreams? Do you seee an animal on the street and wonder what’s on its head? …Anyway Sahre your curiosities, your human questions, Why do you write? How does it make you feel?
    What is an angel for you?
    Anyway, I don’t know if you’ll have the time or patience to answer to these questions, but ai least I played with my imagination for a while and I pictured you and me in a coffee shop talking like tow old friends… Thanks for your time reading this. I send you a warm colombian hug with all the positive energy that I can send to you…

5. miss khaye says:

I love you and your words. I have all your books. :)

6. Paolo,
    You are one of my greatest inspirations,and your first line hit me so greatly. I, too, have so much in my imagination that someday I hope would become part of reality. I am deeply inspired by your writing and your novels. Reading your entry makes me want to pursue my dream of becoming a writer more and more. :D

May you continue to live well and inspire many others.

Desiree Tan, from Manila, Philippines

7. Seema says:

Heart-touching and lovely piece of informal writing!! Different!!

Since Tania above is mentioning ‘these boots are made ..’, for the younger who may have never heard it. And then we sang: SOMETHING STUPID LIKE I LOVE YOU and I was always wondering why the most beautiful words of the world are..stupid??
    Yesterday reading your Ordinary Week, dear Paulo Coelho, I was a little disappointed. I though: this is an ordinary life for ordinary people like us! Then I remembered your last paragraph that you may need one day or more to write what was into your …mind!
    Then I remembered me trying to read JAMES JOYCE’s ULYSSES in English {I have never managed to finish it]!
    Finally I thought that it is not what is happening that actually counts, but the way we perceive it and transform it into our Soul. Your beautiful Soul that has been presented to us through your books. Thank you, once again and take care while ..driving.
    LOVE,
    THELMA

9. Tania says:

It makes me think of that song -These boots are made for walking …:-) ..Yes I kind of thought your life would be like that ..virgo ..they love to work and be doing things all the time -otherwise you may get bored to easy .I am glad I am not the only one who drives off and leaves things on top of the car ..Blessings Tania

10. Healer -Los Angeles says:

I am amazed on how you eat toast at night :) It’s amazing to see how much a person I look up to, does in one day. One thing for sure I got, walk with a friend as much as possible. Connection between physical and spiritual.

11. Patricia says:

Você é incrível mesmo….
    Com 61 anos e tanta disposição é exemplo para muuuuitos jovens… e não tão jovens assim (como eu)… quem dera ter tanta energia!!!!!
    Mas deixa eu fazer uma observação… você comentou em algumas entrevitas que sua biografia é quase perfeita, não fosse pelo pouco relato do espiritual em sua vida… (já que ela foi escrita por um ateu…) Mas o seu relato não difere muito disso… apesar de ser uma semana agitada… e tenho certeza que vivenciando o sagrado a cada instante… isso foi suprimido… gostaria taaaanto de saber mais sobre como acontece essa parte da sua história.
    Um abraço beeeem apertado, e um beijo com sentimento da melhor parte de meu coração…
    Fica bem,

PATRICIA

12. Ana says:

Paulo,

Você ainda é Mago?

Sua rotina é bem normal! :)

13. mariangela says:

Querido Paulo,
    Relendo suas tarefas semanais, vi que foi visitar um museu de arte indígena; que precisa gravar um clip sobre a paz;
    então aí vai uma idéia….quem sabe ficaria legal se vcs. gravassem na cidade são vicente? ou seja a primeira cidade brasileira .
    Adorei seu lanche , também adoro pão com azeite.
    Também achei muito bacana sua botas.
    Beijos,
    Mari Raphael.

14. Camilla says:

Acredito que a Paula tinha razão, mas não penso que ela imaginava um post tão detalhado. Confesso que gostei muito (cheio de humor!), mas não espero que você venha a repetir a experiência tão cedo – é demais até para um virginiano! Mas, ficou claro para mim que a sua rotina – independente do país em que você esteja – é dominada por mulheres!
    Acho que eu também gostaria das cowboy boots!
    Beijo, Camilla (de Londres).
    ps.: se um dia você passar por Londres e não tiver uma companhia para uma caminhada, me avise. Adoro longas caminhadas.

15. Memarie Lane says:

So what did you think of American History X? ;) I appreciate the effort to be more personal, I am trying to do the same.

16. wanbliska says:

Monday A: Yes. Lol B: Though having money is in itself a risk, as if the casino’s going downhill, you couldn’t use it anymore. :) C: Sure. Gustav and Ike took the prime time.

Tuesday B: They are not, but worse. Maybe why I don’t read them at all anymore. I’m not proud about. C: Congratulations. D: :D

Thurday E: Once someone has thought something, it is at the reach of anybody’s mind, in Mitotè. Why by an example in the past, two persons could have found the same vaccines the same day. Why it’s useless to think we could have our creations stolen.

Friday C At the less, you’re sure you will like it.

Saturday B Lol, though I guess you’re right. It goes with the quicken way of life.

Thank you to share some of your intimacy.

17. Geo.S.Morjane says:

Dear Paulo,

I would like to spend a week with you.
    There are too many simple things in life that you seem to pass quickly.

Wishing that all of your days are as happy as you can :)

18. Tera says:

Thank you for sharing. Been wondering about this for sometimes. You know, about how is it like being Paolo Coelho. Now, I don’t have to wonder no more. ha!

Nice.I see you are an active person.How you find so much energy in order to do so many things?What is your secret?
    Anyway,the result is very good.You succeed in your work like few.I am amazed.Do you keep a regular diary?

20. So, I’m sorry, but I couldn’t get beyond the part where your friends “problem” is that the guy she is dating only wants to make love all of the time… we should all be so lucky…

Here’s what you may want to tell her (what I’d tell friend, of course, wishing that I had an issue like that…) – if it’s good, then enjoy it while it lasts. As long as she is not betraying a deeper need on her part to be in a emotionally connected relationship, then she is not betraying herself. We have an expression in Nova Scotia, Canada (I’m sure most people have heard it) “it never rains, but it pours”

Now I think I’ll read the rest of the entry …

21. Heart says:

Just real quick. You are very charming sharing your every day life with us. I smiled reading it. Cowboy boots!