The use of the sword

Paulo Coelho

This is why a warrior never makes threats. He may attack, defend himself, or retreat; each of these positions is part of the combat.

What is not part of the combat is wasting the force of a blow, by talking about it.

A warrior is always aware of the movements of his sword. But he must never forget that the sword pays attention to his movements, too.

It was not made to be used through words.

Comments

1. Toni says:

This morning's quote from him has touched my soul.

“Every time a sword is taken from its sheath, it must be used. It may serve to open up a path, help someone, or brush aside danger – but a sword is capricious and does not like having its blade exposed for no reason.”

I believe that our words are as swords. When we pull that blade from the sheath of our minds they must be used, as Paulo states, “to open up a path, to help someone or to brush aside danger.” The swords of our words have razor edges and can cut mortal wounds, but just as miraculously, with a regal tap on the subject's shoulders can bestow knighthood.

Choose wisely what your blade will be known for, for above all, it will be remembered that it was, indeed, your blade.

2. petra says:

We, all of of us, have our own Ithaca.
    We, all of us, learn and teach from and to others.
    My personal legend is only for me, but I can do a lot of things for a lot of people only following it. I think that’s all which matters. To do what you can, with love and faith, without hurting anybody
    ( of course, sometime it’s better to say the truth as it is ), to help people in order to find themselves and their personal legends.
    But I know, and you must see that everybody learns only by the personal mistakes. So…………, don’t be afraid to do wrong things or to take wrong decisions. They are part of learning.
    To everybody, with love,
    Petra

3. Tania says:

Yes we must so careful with our words – especially the ones we use towards children -as they may go on to say the same thing to theirs – its best we try to not repeat same patterns for a better future ..Blessings Tania

4. Tina says:

Well written and I agree with you Toni!!!

5. Toni says:

This morning’s quote from him has touched my soul.

I believe that our words are as swords. When we pull that blade from the sheath of our minds they must be used, as Paulo states, “to open up a path, to help someone or to brush aside danger.” The swords of our words have razor edges and can cut mortal wounds, but just as miraculously, with a regal tap on the subject’s shoulders can bestow knighthood.

I always been fascinated by the slow ,precise,movement of the Samurai with their sword.I remember also a film I loved “The last samurai”.I would really loved to be thaught how to deal in a perfect manner with a sword.Seems a very elegant war dance.Maybe also useful when one in need.Its ok helping,defending one selves.I think talking about is not wrong,if you are talking with your master.Advice is wellcome.I think is important the link body_mind.

Concentration and good use of the Sword. Words separate, disolve, disintegrate the force of the Will and the Creative Force loses its power.
    LOVE,
    THELMA

8. Nia Wind says:

i have the sword at my hand (as you know)

so, shall i use it? or not?
    I must, i guess, cause i have to use my hand…
    also i must pay for it, every day…
    and i do it, with a smile in my face and tears in my eyes,
    …every day…every night..every day..every night

“It was not made to be used through words.”

Then I made a new kind of sword…………………..

cause my sword is made for words..only for words
    and i payed with my blood, to can write this down…
    (heaven is on earth… heaven is on earth!!!!!)

Love