In the place desired

Paulo Coelho

C. Martins comes over to serve our table in a café in San Diego, California. I met Cláudia in Brazil four years ago, and I tell my friends about the life she leads in the United States, getting only three hours sleep a day, working at the café until late at night and then as a baby-sitter during the whole day.

“I don’t know how she can stand it,” someone says.

“There is a Buddhist tale about a turtle,” says an Argentinian at our table. “The turtle is moving through a swamp, covered in mud, when it passes in front of a temple. There it sees a turtle shell, all covered in gold and precious stones.

“I don’t envy you, old friend,” thought the turtle. “You’re covered in jewels, but I’m doing what I want to.”

Comments

Well.better.I really experienced the golden cage.Is a real prison,killing dreams and happiness.Freedom are the most valuable thing in the world,or at least one of utmost importance.

2. Fernanda Signato Marques says:

E viva o livre-arbítrio, a liberdade de expressão e a diversidade humana!
    Abraços

3. Lucie says:

Thank you Paulo Coelho for the story. I admire your mind.
    Turtles are magic animals, also wise in their behaviour.
    It makes me remember when I was a child, we used to say it holds its house on its back, then, we had to call it a carapace, or a shell. Less long maybe… But Isn’t it revealing of the childhoodtimes, to the mature ones?

Claudia may be as my bestfriend. She always runs, from right to left, and for a very bit of money back. I tried to explain her that, she’d gain more time if doing activities she loves, but she simply did not hear; doing the same duties everyday.
    She spends her shorty days in the fear of lacking, sometimes I feel. But we have all our fears.
    Me, I never really cared, too much, maybe. In a way, we should share to balance:
    my friend with less work and me more steps outside, to visit the golden but stagnant turtles. :)

Love and smiles.
    Lucie.

4. Cristina S. says:

I can say I feel part of that story too..

I’m having a busy wonderful life, I love it, for now.
    In the mornings I’m going to school (last year of high school), then in the evenings I work till 11pm. And still I find time to read, on the bus, school breaks.. there are so many books that are to be read and meditated that a life seems to short.

I love your books… but who doesn’t? :)

5. Vanessa says:

Dear Paulo!
    Eu sempre ficava pensando sobre uma amiga que leva este mesmo estilo de vida aqui nos US. Agora eu entendo o que se passa com ela. Ela esta onde ela desejou estar! Um grande abraco! Vanessa

It is the ‘warning’ for the Sunday afternoons danger!! That we may become just ‘shells’ covered with gold, precious stones but no ‘burning’ from… love hearts!!
    LOVE,
    THELMA

7. Uku says:

Nice one, mate! :)

8. Asphodel says:

Ah Mr Coelho, you put the simplest facts in the most beautiful forms.