Explaining God – Beginning at the beginning

Paulo Coelho

It’s no use asking for explanations about God. You might hear lovely words, but deep down they are all empty phrases. Just as you can read a whole encyclopedia about love and not know what it is to love.

No-one is ever going to manage to prove that God exists, or that he doesn’t exist. Certain things in life were made to be experienced, but never explained.

One of these things is love. God – who is love – is another. Faith is a childish experience, in that magical sense that Jesus taught us: “The Kingdom of Heaven belongs to the children.”
The Arabian story that follows speaks of how innocent the search is:

Beginning at the beginning

A man asked al-Husayn:

- What do I have to do to be closer to God?

- Tell Him a secret. And don’t let anyone in the world know what the secret is. In that way a bond of trust will be established with the Divine.

But the man went on:

- Only that will help me get closer?

- Establish a firm relation at the start of your spiritual journey. Pray. It’s also important to have will power. And if it’s possible to enjoy a little solitude, all the better.

- But how do I reach the ideal stage of communicating with Him?

- I have already explained all that you need – said al-Husayn. – But you want to reach the end before you even begin, and that is just not possible.

Comments

1. Moy Cuevas says:

Thanks for this marvelous story, I’m sharing it on http://simposiados.ning.com ;)

2. Petro says:

GENESIS
    CHAPTER 1

27 So God created man IN HIS OWN IMAGE, in the image of God created he him;

It’s clear…

For each one of us, I think, there is the right moment that we will be able to experience Divine Presence. It is the awakening of our deeper self and the ‘turning point’ towards the Light. Sometimes it may need a long preparation, sometimes it comes as an instant enlightenment It is the moment that our Faith becomes ‘unshakable’ and this experience is the Revelation.
    Love,
    Thelma

4. Tania says:

We should never under estimate the power of Love -in all situations for better or worse ,happy ,sad -up or down ,we should do loving acts of kindness when we need to feel close to God ..Even though life seems hectic at times we should honor that we are part of the whole of a bigger picture at work ..Love and Light Tania

5. Naini says:

“Praise is due to Allah(God) whose worth cannot be described by speakers, whose bounties cannot be counted by calculators and whose claim (to obedience) cannot be satisfied by those who attempt to do so, whom the height of intellectual courage cannot appreciate, and the divings of understanding cannot reach; He for whose description no limit has been laid down, no eulogy exists, no time is ordained and no duration is fixed”.

“A Sermon by Hazrat Ali A.S From the Book Nahj-ul-Balagha”.

For me would be quite difficult keep any secret.that would be a Chalenge…

This is nice.Any teacher might understand.You cant learn to write sentences before learning to write letters one by one.

8. Monika says:

It works – with little steps I got closer.

9. Silvio says:

The great thing about God is that we can tell him anything, our secrets, our lives, anything we feel we cannot tell other people. God doesn’t judge us because of our secrets like some people might. He does not judge whether we are good or bad, or happy, he only loves us. The beauty in it all is that there is someone there for us to communicate with when no one else will listen, and the best part is that he believes in us. God bless to all.

10. Adina says:

Love is not explainable,it must be experienced.Love is God’s language.He talks through love and you can talke to Him through love.It’s about feeling

11. Nia Wind says:

but what happens, if you asked god (like i did) “the question” (which is secret)
    and???
    get an answer…means..see the finish
    also
    see the beginning

????????????????????????

i talk many to god…and those words “tell him a secret” works great!!!!! (this i understand now *kidding*)
    thanks for this

Nia

12. amazin69race says:

hi there GOD, how’s your day?
    mine just fine, thanks to you
    for giving me the air to breath
    and giving me the sun to rise
    and help it set on the west

hi there GOD, you must be so exhausted
    for taking care of us
    the human that forget about YOU
    the human that loves them self’s
    the human that happy to get lost without YOU

… .. .

hi there GOD, hope YOU’re not angry with me
    i’m sorry for all the wrongs that i’ve done
    i’m sorry for not greeting YOU this morning
    i’m sorry for being so occupied with my works
    i’m sorry for being to tired to say good night to YOU

… .. .

hi there GOD, i miss YOU
    it’s been so long since my last chat YOU
    things got so tangled here with me
    the load just so heavy without YOU
    i should’ve see YOU more

… .. .

hi there GOD, thank you for everything
    for letting me be near YOU again
    for listening to my babbling again
    for being there for me again
    after all that i’ve done to YOU

13. Sefer JAN says:

Mawlana Jalaladdin says:
    “Not all of the seekers find, but all finders are those of seekers.”