Mogo and the meaningless feast

This story is a free adaptation of “Come and Follow Me” by Paul H. Dunn:

A certain man called Mogo used to see Christmas as a feast without the least sense to it. In his mind, the night of the 24th December was the saddest of the year, because many people realized how lonely they were or remembered their dearly beloved who had died during the past year.

Mogo was a good man. He had a family, tried to help his neighbor and was honest in his business. However, he refused to admit that people were so naive as to believe that God had descended to Earth just to console men. Being a person of principles, he was not afraid to tell one and all that Christmas, besides being sad rather than happy, was also based on a story that was not real – a God transformed into man.

As always on the eve of the celebration of the birth of Christ, his wife and children were getting ready to go to church. And as always, Mogo decide to let them go alone, saying:

– It would be hypocritical of me to accompany you. I’ll be here waiting for you to come back.

When the family left the house, Mogo sat down on his favorite chair, lit the fire and began to read the day’s newspapers. But he was soon distracted by a noise at the window, then another and yet another.

Thinking it was someone throwing snowballs, Mogo slipped into his coat and went outside hoping to give the trespasser a fright.

As soon as he opened the door he saw a flock of birds that had lost their direction due to a storm and were now shivering in the snow. Noticing the warm house, they had tried to enter, but then they hurt their wings beating against the window and would only be able to fly again when they healed.

“I can’t leave these creatures outside there,” thought Mogo. “How can I help them?”

Mogo went to the garage door, opened it and turned on the light. But the birds did not move.

“They’re afraid,” thought Mogo.

He went back indoors, fetched some breadcrumbs and made a trail to the heated garage. But the strategy did not work.

Mogo opened his arms, tried to lead the birds with affectionate cries, softly pushing one and then another, but the birds became all the more nervous and began to beat their wings flying around in the snow without any direction, wasting the little strength they still had left.

Mogo no longer knew what to do.

– You must be thinking that I’m some scary creature, he said out loud. – Don’t you understand that you can trust me?

He shouted out in despair:

– If at this very moment I had a chance to turn into a bird just for a couple of minutes, then you would see that I’m really trying to save you!

At that moment the church bell chimed midnight. One of the birds transformed into an angel and asked Mogo:

– Now do you understand why God needed to turn into a man?

With his eyes filled with tears, Mogo knelt down on the snow and answered:

– Pardon me, angel. Now I understand that we can only trust those that resemble us and live through the same things as we do.

Comments

1. sido says:

God uses the words which we are capable of understanding…

So he has to send a man who is made by flesh and by blood, as us, and who speaks about a language which we understand: a man, a Jesus
    But it is not sufficient(self-important), then today he uses the signs because the words are not understood(since the tower of Babel, each of we use a different language, but we know how to understand all the same because ” The Main part is invisible for eyes, we See well only with the heart “, said Saint-Exupéry

Get closer, understand, to décripter, to see with our heart

I really like the last sentence. I never thought of it that way, there is a lot of truth in that.

3. Tissa says:

Hey Paulo

What kind words…great post

Tissa

A beautiful story, thank you.

I remember now, a friend who used to drink quite a lot and one evening, that we had dinner together, he said to us:” drink you too, so that we …. will understand each other”!!

In order to understand others, we have to expand our senses and be able to be ‘in tune’ with their Soul.

Love,
    Thelma

5. Laura says:

Very nice. Very appropriate. Thanks for sharing.

6. How many times You speak to us God
    How many times we didn’t hear
    How many times we do not want to hear it
    How many times You send to us a warning
    How many times it flows away from us
    How many times we after curse on our life of dificulties
    How many times You have said to us ‘I love you’
    How many times our ears were deaf
    How many times we ask you for something
    You never said I don’t hear
    How many times we said to You “I love You”
    You have had Your ears and heart always prepared.

7. Dave says:

Sounds a lot like me, to the word actually. Then my first Daughter was born on 25th December and I woke up, and rather profoundly realised my purpose in life was to bring down the walls and fences so that she would be safe to fulfill Her purpose.

First step, I think, is to put an end the greatest mistake the human species has made so far … inventing misogyny and empowering it to flourish. Get rid of that evil and the rest will be easy, imo.

Love,
    Dave

8. Anneliese says:

What a beautiful story!!!
    Thank you Paulo!!!

Very,very,very nice story.Why poor people like to understand only things indirectly,I mean that story seem a sort of a fable,or mistery.I like it so much.Sometime ,for my great shame,I think many of that saints story are like fairy tales.Your story today made me understand.thanks

10. sido says:

God uses the words which we are capable of understanding…

Get closer, understand, to décripter, to see with our heart

11. sido says:

Dieu utilise les mots que nous sommes capable de comprendre …

ainsi il doit envoyer un homme qui est fait de chair et de sang , comme nous , et qui parle un langage que nous comprenons : un homme , Jésus

mais cela n’est pas suffisant , alors aujourd’hui il utilise les signes … car les mots ne sont pas compris ( depuis la tour de babel , chacun de nous utilisons une langue différente , mais nous savons tout de même nous comprendre car “l’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux , on ne voit bien qu’avec le coeur” , disait Saint Exupéry

se rapprocher , comprendre , décripter , voir avec notre coeur

God uses the words whom we are capable of understanding…

But it is not sufficient(self-important), then today he uses the signs because the words are not understood (since the tower of Babel, each of we use a different language, but we know how to understand all the same because ” the main part is invisible for eyes, we see well only with the heart “, said Saint-Exupéry
    Get closer, understand(include), to décripter , to “see” with our heart