Three precise blows

- How can I know the best way to act in life? – the disciple asked the master.

The master asked him to build a table.

The disciple drove in the nails with three precise blows. One nail, however, struck a hard spot and the disciple needed to deliver one more blow – which drove in the nail too deep all the way into the wood.

- Your hand was used to three blows of the hammer – said the master. – You had so much trust in what you did that you lost your attention and skill.

“When action becomes a mere habit it loses its meaning and may end up causing harm, so never let routine be in command of your movements.”

Comments

1. Alastair says:

The world is so full of routines – work for instance is a constant routine, demands that processes be followed so that it all looks good on paper. To break free of this would probably cost me my job(which may not be a bad thing, although i still need to pay the bills!) maybe this will let me find myself and my destiny…I remember once sitting in our psychic development group and we were doing an exercise on astral projection – i senn the most minute of details with little effort, buds on trees, changes in the sky and ground and in people as every minute went by and seem to have lost that now due to far too much focus on following others orders and routines.
    Looks like it may be time to break free as a new year draws closer.

Paulo, your writings are the most inspiring i have ever read and have helped me to find myself after dabbling in magic, psychics, withcraft and endless searching for answers of who i am. I’m still not too sure yet, but you have guided me onto a new path.

Thankyou
    Alastair

2. mcl says:

Ca ne m'etonne pas, j'ai chante “Si j'avais un marteau”.
    Difficile a croire parfois.

Really,is that way.I saw in tv a service on the Italian Airforce team.The militars flying in that team,even if perfect or young,were kept only few years,because of the danger of being too self confident,and that way jeopardizing the entire team.I am talking about the team that make acrobacy,the flag in air,on national feasts.

4. Pablo says:

Stereotypes makes people dull. They are not paying sufficient attention…

About stereotypes – for most of the people – work and spending free time too. For me too.

5. shinyi says:

When something that you used to do enjoyably becomes a routine, it sometimes lose its magic and isn’t thrilling enough for you anymore. One needs to take a break sometime, shift your attention to other possibilities. Who knows, you might discover something new. ^_^

6. sido says:

Avilio ,

can you explain “the podcast” . Thanks a lot

7. T.K. says:

wow! in reading this i realize i have many routines. i will be more aware of my actions.

8. wendylei says:

The meaning is changing from time to time,and also our life goes up and down in a round cycle,like the never ending serpent eats its tail and reborn.I need to concentrate on my work now of doing nothing,even its hard merely read books and doing abosulutely nothing,while people keep on poping up and disturbing my steps,I need healing from the divine power and lots of practices.bad memories from others keep on haunting,its the main problem,and ignoring just cant help.

9. Gianna says:

Sto leggendo Brida e mi affascina la Tradizione della Luna… per saperne di più???
    Un sorriso …

10. orly says:

we dont always know whats the best way to act in life, if we act by the rulles it will be a lot of routine,,, if we act not by the rulles we might do the wrong ways.
    so myself, i am trying to act and penetrate some light, sun,emotions (strong ones) and all kind of other sparkes into the KOSHER routine, and i do believe that this way _can get its own amazing colours and at least i do my best to do the best and not to go to the wrong path!!!!
    mr. Coelho, I love ur books and I love this blog ! it gives so many thoughts, and I think ur really an amazing human beeing!!
    lots of love Orly

11. I had my own experience with this recently when I became completely burned out on my writing work. After three years of being paid very well to write relatively similar things on a daily basis, I found that I simply couldn’t do it anymore and I needed to grow. So I subcontracted someone fresh and talented to do the writing work, and I grew into my new role as editor and business owner. I think the key to this is not always just to try to focus and stay in the moment, but also to grow. If you’ve been doing something so long that it’s become routine, you need to add something to it, or make it grow into something new entirely. Great post, Paulo.

12. Barbara says:

My New Year’s Resolution – “I will RESPOND, not react.” I am discovering that I “react” in the same way over and over again in situations that make me uncomfortable. I am now consciously responding instead – takes patience, self-honesty, and making amends, but it sure does feel good.

13. T says:

It is good to let in your life a change from time to time, but if life is without a meaning than and all changes are without a meaning too.

14. Pepper says:

AMEN!!!!!

16. Avilio says:

I do love reading your post… and I’ve been following you in almost every site that you use to publish so I don’t miss your post/videos. But did you consider creating a podcast? That kind of media is growing up a lot.

“When action becomes a mere habit it loses its meaning and … beauty!!”
    This applies to everything in life but especially in …sex.
    LOVE,
    THELMA

18. aditya says:

yeah !

like doing everything one does with full alertness, fully aware. Repeating the routine activities with alertness is such a challenge, in fact the whole idea of meditation, meditativeness is to remain aware and alert every moment, irrespective of the action ( the scenes flowing before our consiousness ).

but it’s rather not easy, till one has worked sufficeiently on it; perhaps that is those who master it are called masters !!

love