The new entrepreneurs – Part 1

Paulo Coelho

Pamela Hartigan, director of the Schwab Foundation, drew up a list of ten points common to people whose dissatisfaction with the world around them drove them to create their own work. I think that Pamela’s list reaches far beyond this new mechanism called “social enterprise” and can be applied to many of our everyday activities:

Impatience: those who seek their dream do not wait around for things to happen: they see yesterday’s problems as today’s opportunities. Their impatience often makes them change course, but this adaptation is what matures them.

Conscience: those who seek their dream know that they are not alone in the world and that each gesture has a consequence. The work that they are doing can change the atmosphere around them. By understanding this power, they become an active element in society, and this sets them at peace with life.

Innovation: those who seek their dream believe that everything can be different from what it is, but it is necessary to pick a path that has not yet been traveled. Although always surrounded by old bureaucracy, the comments of others, and the difficulties of penetrating an unexplored forest, they discover alternative ways to make themselves heard.

Pragmatism: those who seek their dream do not hang around waiting for the ideal resources to start their work – they roll up their sleeves and get to work. No matter how little progress is made, it increases their confidence and the confidence of those around them, and the resources eventually turn up.

Apprenticeship: those who seek their dream usually have a deep interest in some particular area that can reveal new solutions to old problems when looked at in detail. But this apprenticeship can only be achieved through practice and constant renovation.

The rest of the list will be published here tomorrow.

Comments

I spoke with the Make a Wish Foundation’s State Manager and I sent an e-mail to “Le Cirque du Soleil” this morning.
    Here is what I wrote:
    “The purpose of the Make a Wish Foundation is to grant the wishes of children with Life-Threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experiences with hope,strength and joy.
    Le Cirque du Soleil high standard of ethics embraces the best that life has to offer us : courage, love, respect and understanding through a multi-cultural approach.
    I am writing to see whether you are willing to extend a hand of friendship and humanity towards these children by giving one free-show to — (numbers at your discretion) accompanied by another person and thus making a matinee filled with magic and joy for these children.
    The Valentine’s Day can perhaps be the appropriate day of Love for these children by granting them a wish to come true.
    I am available to discuss this further with you at your convenience.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this letter”

Crossed fingers, I hope they will respond generously.
    I’ll keep you posted.

:D

2. Alex says:

What a wonderful world we would live in by following such principles. Truly fascinating. Can’t wait for the rest.

May all the Donald Trumps come forward.

4. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo and friends,

I can not agree more with this passage. I’ve always been a firm believer in a persistant attitude when it comes to desires- in fact one should have such confidence that they can even challenge the world to bring forth any obstacles because one will realise, if they truely believe, nothing will sway them, and every set back actually sets you up for tomorrow.

It’s amazing the different people in the this world. I’ve always been in this category, but many people i know aren’t. They have big dreams and big plans but never actually do anything. They don’t stand up and go for it. Reminds me of an old story a friend told me. He said, there was once a really drunk father with two sons. He drank everyday and paid on interest to his children after his wife left. These two grew up and went there seperate ways. Years later they met. One was the same town’s drunk.. Barely living and begging for money constantly for alcohol. The other son, went off into the world and came back a very successful businessman. When someone asked, how the two ended up so differently, the one said, my father was a drunk. The second said the same, my father was a drunk, and i didn’t want to be like him.
    You decide your future. You hold the key to the world regardless of your situation, and you can do it. Just believe. No matter what.

Thank you for being.
    Yajna

5. marcoandrea says:

already been published here some days ago :) but its nice to review…!

Great,love that list.Seem to see myself,in almost all.Thanks

I do not know much on the subject but I think, whatever we decide to start doing we much first make a plan in our mind, gather all available information, study it from all possible ankles and ‘visualize’ it as …already successfully completed! Optimism and enthusiasm must be in our hearts and whenever a difficulty or drawback appears we must just look at it as an opportunity for ..correcting our ways and proceed with more determination. Whatever we do presents to us and to society our .. inner world, vibrations and imagination, our Stamp.
    LOVE,
    Thelma

8. Olivier à Nantes (France) says:

“Some people regard private enterprise as a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look on it as a cow they can milk. Not enough people see it as a healthy horse, pulling a sturdy wagon.”
    Winston Churchill
    On considère le chef d’entreprise comme un homme à abattre, ou une vache à traire. Peu voient en lui le cheval qui tire le char. Winston Churchill