The two Gods

Paulo Coelho

There are two Gods:

The God that our teachers taught us about and the God that teaches us.

The God that people usually talk about and the God that talks to us.

The God we learn to fear and the God that talks to us of mercy.

The God on high and the God that is part of our daily life.

The God that makes demands of us and the God that forgives our debts.

The God that threatens us with the punishments of hell and the God that shows us the best path.

There are two Gods:

A God that drives us away because of our faults and a God that calls us with His love.

Comments

1. Anthony says:

I beleive that there are two Gods. Contrary to popular belief of the trinity doctrine, in which the holy Spirit is deemed as a God and the “one God” theorywho in essence believes that there is One God who manifests himself in different forms. But, at the end of the day, What matters most is not how we beleive, but the fact that we DO beleive. Be blessed all.

2. Andrea says:

God assumes two different roles – an ethereal God and a human God – to show that He is greater than us and at the same time, to help us relate to him better.

3. Cristina says:

God is Love, and Love is everything; but we can understand that there are two aspects, one that we understand like positive, one that we understand as negative (or a punishment).
    This is the most difficult aspect to understand and to accept.

4. There are perhaps two (or many) perceptions of God – but only one God that we need to get to know with all the facets of his wonderful personality. Some of the attributes ascribed to God (demanding, threatening, etc) exist only in the minds of people who do not understand his wonderful qualities.

I like your analogy of two gods – it emphasizes the difference between the true God and a perceived god.

5. Natalie says:

I believe that there is one God, only that He has many names. This God loves us all and speaks to each of us in the ways that are easiest for us to understand. Anyone who is going after his aspirations is giving praise to a higher being. It just depends in the person’s upbringing to what name that higher being is call.
    Nat

I think that the two God’s faces, you describe above, dear Paulo Coelho, are .. IANOS. God in this World of separateness, in ‘duality’.

God is beyond and above. He IS. It is the ‘IS’ in Eternity. Pure LIGHT[ “Ακτιστος”] and LOVE.
    LOVE,
    Thelma

7. elisabeth delage says:

hi, i missed the topic about sufferings,so important topic!well i’m agree with christina, i see or feel always two “somethings” everywhere,day night,peace war,fire water,love ect..well i don’t know if it’s realistic or just because i can’t understand all,and somethimes two seems become eight also.so??? i’m tired today,sorry!!

8. Zee says:

There is no such thing as two gods – only one. How to find it? You live and learn, you listen with all your ears, feel with all your senses and love with all your hearts (lots of ears and hearts are a fundamental requirement at this stage… there are many layers to life, it speaks to us in different ways!).

Dear Paulo, during my personal path through life I have often come across different ‘Gods’ and wondered which is the real one. At one curve of my journey, I also arrived at this conclusion of two gods; one living within and one without. I soon realised that I began giving the outer one a masculine face and the inner one a feminine image. One was the father, the other became the mother.

Then the recent wars between faith and race were rekindled and I felt a separation of the two gods. Some other god spoke, neither male nor female, hard nor soft, cruel nor kind. In fact it doesn’t even answer to the name of ‘god’. I think it likes being called ‘truth’. I realised that multiple gods are just people’s way of dealing with the incomprehensible author of their existence. We have fractured this being into small shards and try to hold, worship and pray to bits of it at a time.

9. Bastian says:

If there is any God (I can’t really believe it) than it is not a god above us, it is a god in us.
    I hope you can understand what I mean. I’m a german young boy and my english is not the best.

Bastian

10. wendylei says:

Better stay away from those who want to condemn you and pretending he/she is the God himself……..to be scary~
    which is stupid,the God I know myself is kind and comforting,who always have a perfect plan for my spiritual growth~~I didnt say neglect critics competely,you can go for fun and go away as soon as you learnt something~~say a friendly goodbye and always keep a smile on the face~~

11. Adina says:

The concept of God is understood in billions of ways. If we are 10 people here, then there are 10 Gods. But only ONE in reality.

God “translates” Himself to me and you differently, according to my and your inner soul code or language.

And God is good, God is correct, God ballances things, heals us, helps us grow, cleans us, frees us, etc. Common, He does not create something for the pleasure of destroing it after a while. He doesn’t do mistakes, as He knows the correct way better then anyone else.

When one feels fear or sick enough of Church lessons or never wants to heare again about God, means there wasn’t God….There was people’s creation and theire stupid imagination.

Heart is the only one that can tell us which one is the real one. But how many of us (excluding people on this blog), listen to their hearts? So how do they recognize the real God? They don’t. And that’s how their life passes, and that’s how they dely the moment of meeting God and becoming a universal family again. It is their choise.

Heart will tell you.

12. toni j says:

When I read this, I think of two sides. The tree of knowledge of good and evil, conscious-subconconscious, a path of torment or a path of love. But I only see one choice…*

13. andrea says:

Wich God hold my Hand now?

14. marci says:

i visit your site and read your works because it is very evident which of these two Gods expresses here.

“”If we penetrate deeply into all aspects and all areas of life, we will find that hidden behind everything is love. We will discover that love is the force, the power and inspiration behind every word and every action. This applies to all people, irrespective of race, caste, creed, sect, religion or of what work people do.” Amma

“Adversity is just the shadow of the Great Mother’s hand getting ready to caress us.” Amma

“All expansion is life, and all contraction is death. Love therefore only the laws of life. He who loves, lives, and he who is selfish, is dying. Therefore love for loves sake, because it is the law of life, just as you breathe to live.” Swami Vivekananda

15. Vesna says:

The God is one but has two faces…it is depends on us wich one we want to see
    I met the first and the second one…
    Love,
    Vesna

16. orly says:

in my own feeling there is only ONE G_D,
    the one the teacher teaches us and thats the same one who we learn during our own life to get even better and closer!
    we learn our connection with G-d thru our path of life, we learn to admire to pray to thank and to ask,,,, but i just feel much more connected to our only one G-d!!!!

17. T.K. says:

This reminds me of the movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy” smile

18. oli says:

I think the God is one,the one after the *and*
    i find the first not very fair,or i don*t know the word,i*m not convinced with him.
    at least i hope i*m right.
    my heart spoke :))
    and freedom for all
    love

19. Nancy says:

I love the words that you put together here. To me it is a piece of poetry.

20. Diane DeFruscio says:

Dear Paulo,

Beautiful! It always comes back to love, doesn’t it?

Diane :)

21. Christine says:

To clarify the above, I don’t agree that there are two Gods only that people view God in many different ways.

22. Christine says:

I agree with that. It’s sad because in today’s society I feel like more people think that they are God then anything else…so full of judgement and false accusations and I find the most judgemental and self righteous people have the most guilty hearts and that is why they judge so severely…to hide there own hideous flaws. I tell my nephew that God is when you see something that is so beautiful you are moved to a peaceful place…when you feel serenity and happiness and you can trust and love other people, you’ve found God. God is everywhere people are just looking for him in the mirror…and he doesn’t exist there unless you are made of love.

23. Carmen Larisa says:

Isn’t it interesting that God is One, simple and still so complex?!
    Have a wonderful weekend everybody, full of love, light and joy! Let’s celebrate life every single day! :o)
    Lots of hugs,
    Carmen Larisa

24. MeiYen says:

I absolutely get what you mean, even though I came to this blog expecting to not understand anything.
    Beautiful, thank you.

25. candie says:

There are more than two if you ask me..but I get the point.

I like the God of mercy and of love,I never understood why is presented by some priest as a merciless.The worst is when one decide which would be our faith,in on after life.I think no one knows exactly,only God.

27. Cristina says:

Hello Mr Coelho, I completely agree with you!
    I see that you also believe in the “two of everything”!
    I don’t feel alone anymore.
    Anyway, I started to see that there are two aspects of everything, afer I looked for a long time to the “beauceant”, the templars’ flag.
    It was made of two colours, black and white; they were separate, but together they made the flag.
    So I started to wonder “why is ti so, templars didn’t do anyting withouut a precise meaning!”
    This was the meaning, and going on living, I found it right.
    Another symbol of this double aspect of life, is the symbol of Yin and Yang in the chinese tradition (the sphere half black half white, with opposite colour points in the middle).
    Could you tell us which was your path to get to this concept?