The importance of allies – Part 2

Paulo Coelho

[...]

Perhaps the warrior feels tempted to think that his dream does not interest everyone, such as bakers and farmers, for example. But in the warrior they will have a good example of perseverance and courage. And a baker can teach a lot of things, such as the exact mixture of the ingredients, which is based more on intuition than technique. A farmer can show the importance of patience, sweat, respect for the seasons, and the futility of cursing storms – because that is a sheer waste of time.
Therefore, each one of us has something different to teach, and it is all these differences added together that we call “wisdom”.
Join with those who are flexible and understand the road signs. These are people who do not hesitate to change direction when they come across an insurmountable barrier or when they spot a better opportunity. They possess the quality of water: getting around rocks, adapting to the flow of the river, sometimes changing into a lake – until the hollow is full and it can continue on its path, because water never forgets that its destiny is the sea and that sooner or later that is where it has to reach.
Join those who have never said: “that’s it, I have to stop here.” Because just as winter is followed by spring, nothing can stop, and the warrior’s road is an endless path. After achieving his objective, he finds another challenge, and it is necessary to start all over again, always using everything he has learned while traveling along.
Join with those who sing, tell stories, enjoy life and have joy in their eyes. Because happiness is contagious and always manages to prevent people from becoming paralyzed by depression, loneliness and difficulties.
Join those who walk with their head held high, even though they have tears in their eyes. Stay away from those who hold their head high because they have never shed a tear, never looked to the sides.
A true warrior of light does not confuse arrogance and authority, joy and superficiality, persistence and impatience. He has his doubts and at times feels oppressed by loneliness, but he knows that there are many people who think like he does, and that it is just a matter of time until he finds his true allies.

Comments

1. Lorrie says:

Thanks for finally writing about >The importance of allies – Part 2 — Paulo Coelho’s Blog <Liked it!

2. eleonora says:

3. munrocea says:

i joined a facebook group out of curiousity: named the grandmothers voice [or something]… about how in this time of change and complexity, it is the community of grandmothers who hold the precious threads of silk as a net cast – to hold the world together through these changes.

I would definitely say that my own two grandmothers are essential allies!!

but Paulo, please – depression is not the polar opposite of happiness; for through both there is great wisdom, truth etc… and these are invaluable lessons no matter what manner of emotions endured. i am happy because of what i learnt because of depression.
    a broken leg mends….
    an amputated leg does not grow back…
    I did not become depressed because of not being happy… i became depressed because of serious, life threatening incidents ….
    so, happiness i agree, is not to be under NOR overrated.
    best regards,
    Catherine x

4. Saran says:

Beautiful Paulo! Thank you for the inspiration and the hope!

5. Thelma, gia sou!

In my experience I have found that friends cannot be our allies at all times. Sometimes they are, sometimes they can’t, for whatever the reason. Although, this is a generalization.

Still, some people cannot be good allies even to themselves.

Although like you say, parents, and especially the mother, are the truest allies. For nine months they are united as one, and after that, very close allies… hopefully ;) LOL

Wishing you a Wonderful week!
    love,
    c.

6. Pandora says:

I am blessed to have many allies, they are my companions even if I haven’t met them yet, haven’t seen them for years or embrace them every night.

You can never ever have enough.

I have been hurt by some in the past, I too have been able to read minds, have dreamt of betryals before they come to pass, but I do not let these experiences stop me from believing. They are part of my scars, from wounds long since healed.

They have taught me that 2.00000025 does no equal 2, and that when something is not right, it is not right.

I was born through my Mothers womb, and as most of the human race has as well consider myself blessed, and never alone.

I agree with Candie.

Thank you Candie, if you see my … profile, you will see: I am a ..60years old, wife, mother and grandmother!! I have had my .. experiences. To read the ..thoughts and intentions of people is a ..Gift from God. I had it since I was a child. It is a divine protection so that my Soul be ‘informed’ and be able to accept the Devil’s attacks! At least I am prepared and I do not let my heart ‘unguarded’, as dearest Paul from Austria has admitted above!! I do not ever say or do anything I just ‘sit back’ and .. watch. I also know that whatever is sent against me with hatred, will be returned to the sender seven folds stronger. Because I am all White, I am all LOVE and I know the TRUTH.
    Mysticlove13, yes we are .. alone, but always have our Guardian Angel and God in us and we are in HIM.
    LOVE,
    Thelma

8. candie says:

Thank you thelma.I’ll try now.That ability is good but can be a curse I understand (that the one of reading minds).Thousands of friends?It leaves me perplex.I was talking about real ones.It’s great if you can say you have that many I guess.Wishing you well.

Hi Mysticlove13,I don’t agree.We are never alone and we don’t die alone.My opinion.

I guess I am really naive.I am that way, maybe time will change me.Sorry Paul.I know is better to change partner in the moment theres nothing more left to keep the couple unite. Better than living without happiness and true love.

Dear Mysticlove13 thank you for your ..understanding!
    Dear Candie, yes everyday I speak about LOVE and I am going to do it for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, although I am a dreamer, I have experienced and seen ‘Reality’ in my …long life! ;] It is a long time since I have taken off my … pink glasses! Enjoy life to the full and do not let others .. fool you!
    LOVE,
    Thelma.
    p.s. Friends? I have thousands! They all speak the … conventional language and sometimes they even … forget that. For me it is not easy because sometimes I … read people’s inner thoughts and this hurts. ;]

11. candie says:

Hi Thelma.What’s going on?You’re always so optimistic so often.It must be a day without.I hope you’ll be fine.Don’t you have any real friends?Real ones?You know what I mean.I hope you do they are very important.I see that I’m really lucky to have them.They are rare but they exist.I hope your optimism will be back tomorrow,talking about beauties and love.Your comments are always very nice to read.

12. Mysticlove13 says:

Hello Thelma, yes, we come to this world alone, we leave alone! you are right! unfortunately!

13. rejini says:

I loved this one. It was as if it was a sign for me today. I was feeling so lonely and depressed today. I feel the last sentence is written only for me. I hope to find my allies some day. I know that this is a positive sign for me through Paulo. Thank you Paulo. I am a great fan of yours, you have changed my life.

I feel that only one thing matters in life that is finding true love and one’s true allies. Everything else is incidental

Love
    Rejini

Loneliness is better!! A nice Greek song.
    LOVE,
    Thelma

Every minute that passes adds to our .. wisdom. We gather experiences from every human being we meet in our path. Everyone has a ‘lesson’ to offer us. As you, very plainly, have put above: the farmer gives us from his knowledge, so the .. doctor or the lawyer! Because they act according to their own experiences and their perspective.
    ALLIES!! I do not believe in .. allies! I have been betrayed so many times.. EGOISM, ENVY and actions according to people’s own material interest is what I have experienced for all my life! Only my parents showed me the .. unconditional, pure love, I have dreamt. Words, words words.. Once people are asked to put into ‘practice’ the simplest codes or rules of altrouism or kindness and FORGET for a minute their egoism, they fail! The Beast and Evil conquers LIGHT. To take advantage of others, to Shine more, to ‘lick’ and ..be stabbed on the back. No thank you, I do not want allies. Better to fight my own good fight … till the end. I may put an air of pessimism today in the Blog, Paulo Coelho, but you can just give us your ..affirmation in my words. The loneliness of the incarnated SOULS.
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

ALLIES!! I do not believe in .. allies! I have been betrayed so many times.. EGOISM, ENVY and actions according to people’s own material interest is what I have experienced for all my life! Only my parents showed me the .. unconditional, pure love, I have dreamt. Words, words words.. Once people are asked to put into ‘practice’ the simplest codes or rules of altrouism or kindness and FORGET for a minute their egoism, they fail! The Beast and Evil conquers LIGHT. To take advantage of others, to Shine more, to ‘lick’ and .. stabbed on the back. No thank you, I do not want allies. Better to fight my own good fight … till the end. I may put an air of pessimism today in the Blog, Paulo Coelho, but you can just give us your ..affirmation in my words. The loneliness of the incarnated SOULS.
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

ohhhh.Dear Paul,sorry,but is not a rule.One might fond his soul mate from the first marriage.I shall say ,even without,because marriage is only a piece of paper at times.Love and friendship can work all life long.My grandfather loved so much granny,than after an year of her death,he passes away too.Some would like to die together,to avoid pain of missing the other .But today is a wonderful spring day,I see all the nature rebirth,and I think at the link between that and the Revival of Jesus Christ approaching .Lest stay optimistic,happy days for everybody,Love

18. viviana says:

Hola! Bueno…es difícil hablar de uno mismo y a la vez lo que aun es mas difícil, es expresar lo que uno entiende, siente y vive en esta vida. Desde que tengo uso de razón eh visto y siento las expereriencias muy diferente a los demás, (no por eso me siento especial, todo lo contrario creo que a lo largo de mis 39 años eh luchado, no por ser especial sino esencial, tratando de aferrarme siempre a los detalles simples) cuando era niña recuerdo que en las noche siempre se me aparecía un perro negro se paraba en dos patas y me hablaba, tal es así que mis padres pensaban que tenia algún tipo de intuición y no era así, ese perro me decía las cosas que iban a suceder, la cosa es que fui creciendo y a los 7 años me dijo que yo moriría a los 32, por supuesto que mis padres decían que eso era una locura pero yo a partir de ese momento empecé a comportarme de otra manera, recuerdo que no tenia miedo en esos momentos pensaba que faltaba mucho para morir…pero es como que me había vuelto una nena muy creativa, soy la segunda de 5 hermanos me la pasaba inventando juegos lo que mas presente tengo es que me reía de todo no solo eso me había, convertido en una nena muy curiosa, quería saberlo todo, fui una nena que siempre tuve la atención y el cuidado de mis padres (para mi mama fue difícil cuando yo nací, a los tres meses me enferme y los médicos me dabas solo horas de vida…jamás, se lo pudo explicar mi madre ni los médicos pero yo sane, hasta aproximadamente los 15 años siempre tuve problemas de salud y graves que en otro momento se los contare, pero siempre de forma misteriosa me terminaba, sanando) creo que ellos si creían que yo era alguien especial. Mi familia es muy religiosa, somos católicos, el tema es que a los 9 años me toco, como a todo católico tomar la primera comunión, dicho sea de paso para mi catequista fue muy difícil enseñarme por que me la pasaba cuestionando y preguntando todo. Para los que no saben para tomar la primera comunión primero debía confesarme con el cura de la iglesia, pero yo sentía que no tenia por que contarle mis cosas a un desconocido (en esos momentos eso era el para mi) y así fue tome mi primera comunión sin confesarme, no me pregunten por que pero yo sentí que Dios me estaba dando el OK por mi primera decisión recuerdo que cuando comulgue sentí una protección increíble por años me lo guarde solo para mi. El tiempo fue pasando y crecí con la magia del cuento de Alicia en el país de las maravillas, no era ni buena ni mala alumna en el colé, pero hoy recuerdo con mucha gracia que yo me quería aprenderme de memoria todas las palabras del diccionario pensaba que si lo lograba cuando fuera grande iba poder elegir ser lo que quisiera en la vida. Amo los diccionarios a pesar de que tengo horrores no errores ortográficos. Fui una niña muy pero muy feliz, mis mejores amigos eran mis hermanos. (Tengo los mejores recuerdos de mi niñez) después de esto me llego la adolescencia y como toda jovencita, la rebeldía, (que dolores de cabeza que le di a mi querida madre).y mi rebeldía era terrible yo quería que todo fuesen si y ningún no, después de todo cada vez me quedaban menos años de vida. Se podrán imaginar mis padres, (los volví locos) en mi adolescencia era muy buena dibujando y ya en esa época ya Asia cuestionamientos mas jodidos como nadie me los respondía , en mi época de secundaria había tomado la decisión de que el colegio iba a ser el lugar donde yo pudiera saciarme de mis cuestionamientos, y de que manera: preguntaba lo que nadie pregunta, las profesoras de historia me odiaban, la de castellano la utilizaba en redacciones para decir todo lo que sentía y lo que quería, era una composición o redacción , no podía decir nada la profesora, en mi adolescencia ya no me aparecía el perro pero si tenia sueños de cosas que después sucedían y les pedo asegurar que así era. En esa época el mayor placer que sentía era dormir me fascinaba de echo es algo que no a cambiado en mi vida sierro los ojos con placer .a los 17 años estaba en los corzos (era época de carnaval) divirtiéndome, era de noche estaba con unos amigos cuando se acerca una anciana hacia nosotros, y mis amigos le pidió que no nos molestara sin embargo a mi me abordo la curiosidad y me acerque. Y le pregunte que necesitaba, y ella me dio unos folletos que se trataban de los evangelistas, los recibí y le dije gracias, ella me miro y me dijo que yo era muy especial, y ahí comprendí a que le llamaban ser especial. Prestarle atención a todo en la vida. Poco tiempo después comenzó la época de responsabilidades, de amores, y de entrar a chocar con paredes por pensar diferente. Les puedo asegurar que era muy difícil mantener un trabajo por mucho tiempo, por que tenia una forma de ser que siempre terminaba afuera del sistema. Para mi no era problema de echo mi forma de ser me daba mas seguridad aparte dios me había agraciado con algo de belleza y eso también me abría puertas, con respecto al amor yo quería ser amada a pleno no sabia en esa época que era lo que quería exactamente.la cosa es que no lograba sentirme totalmente plena como para hacer el amor la cosa es que ya tenia 26 años y no lograba tener relaciones sexuales sentía que para llegar a ese paso tan fantástico como dos cuerpos enredados, faltaba algo, para mi no era traumático pero para mi pareja si, la cosa es que me aguanto un par de años mas, se quería casar conmigo y es ahí donde decidí cortar con el por que no descubriría nunca que rea lo que exactamente quería sentir como para entregarme a pesar de tener 28 años para mi eso no era un problema yo solo quería sentir algo que fuese único, de echo yo lo hablaba con mis hermanas ( que son mis amigas)y para ellas que yo esperara a sentir algo único, ellas decían que me hacia ser un ser especial, ahí es donde otra vez me di cuenta a que le llamaban ser especial en el amor, a querer que sea único, solo así iba a poder detectarlo de verdad, poco tiempo después lo descubrí, su voz me envolvía su mirada me paralizo y juro por dios que fue por diez hermosos minutos lo único que podía sentir de mi cuerpo era mi corazón latiendo a mil millones era el con quien descubriría lo que hoy no tiene definición para mi. Bueno, fue increíble esa relación llegaron mis 32 el me engaño y dejo embarazada a otra mujer con mucho dolor lo deje y no quise verlo mas, yo estaba muy pero muy triste, comía no dormía, lloraba todo el DIA, hasta que tuve que ir al medico por que tenia fuertes dolores de estomago. Resulta ser que estaba embarazada, y perdí al bebe, no tenia consuelo me sentía totalmente bacía perdí lo mas maravilloso que puede tener una mujer.un hijo, llegue a pesar 38 kilos no encontraba la manera de preocuparme por mi cuerpo sentía que no lo quería. Mi vientre lo odiaba al final ese perro tenia razón les juro que fue como morir, hasta que un día decidí hacer algo por mi cuerpo y es ahí donde descubrí la belleza de la danza árabe,( no se dan la menor idea como hoy amo mi cuerpo y con que pasión bailo esta danza, quienes me conocen dicen que bailo de una manera muy especial, que para mi seria bailar con pasión. hoy estoy con un hombre al que amo mucho y me siento sinceramente simple y esencial

19. What a wise man you are, the people who hold there heads up high with know tears in there eyes are to proud to show emotion, in England its frowned upon but i have always felt the desparate need for tears and i will keep up the search for a true ally and soulmateuntil then i stand alone. Your blog is so inspiring and speaks right into my soul. (added by Mobile using Mippin)

Well,had spent a wonderful day with my nephew and niece.Is a miracle how much they love me.They are my little big allies.Thanks God
    Wish everybody a wonderful week end,God bless you all

21. Savita Vega says:

THE WARRIOR’S ROAD IS AN ENDLESS PATH.
    Yet we live in a goal-oriented society that seems to want to convince us that we are meant to arrive at some specified point, and once we get there, remain forever, still, unmoving:

We are meant to find one love, marry that person, and stay with that person, exclusively, until the day we die, and even beyond that, throughout all eternity. If someone gets a divorce, we are eager to place blame – someone, one party or the other, has to be at “fault.” We cannot accept the fact that maybe that relationship was a good thing, but maybe it also lasted just as long as it was meant to last: once it no longer served as a catalyst in the lives of the two parties involved, it dissolved. Rather, if a marriage does not last unto death, we want to say that there must have been some “mistake” – the persons chose wrongly their mates, because marriage is supposed to be final, an end in itself, a goal that, once reached, we stick with forever and ever. Relationships, once created, are meant to be static – we are not meant to change partners.

Similarly, we are meant to find one career that suits us, and follow that one profession all of our lives. If we pursue multiple careers in succession, is it somehow due to a “failure,” on our part – a failure at making the right choice to begin with, or a failure to endure, a failure to stay focused, or a failure to persist. If we had chosen the right profession in the beginning, we wouldn’t be needing to make a change. A choice of career is meant to be final – we are not meant to change professions. Or so society would have us believe.

In a similar way, retirement itself is presented as a goal – we are meant to look toward this goal, with longing, all of our lives, and once we get there, we are meant to just sit there until we die. At that point, we have outlived our usefulness to society. We aren’t even supposed to want to be useful. We are supposed to want nothing. Just rest and reflect upon a life gone by. And if we won’t do that, or we can’t afford to do that, again, it is deemed as a “failure” on our part: We “fail” to enjoy that rest fully, because we are too restless in spirit. That restlessness, that sense of still wanting more, still wanting to contribute, is a “failure” of some sort. Otherwise, if we cannot afford to retire, it is either because we “failed” to make enough money (failed to work hard enough), or “failed” to save enough money (failed to be frugal enough).

Our society does not recognize that the warrior’s road is an endless path. Life, as it is presented to us, is all about determining a specified destination, and once we arrive, staying there, in that one place, forever and ever, until we die. It does not matter if, meanwhile, our spirit withers and rots from lack of challenge or novelty, lack of sunlight or fresh air.

One of my niece’s is presently going through a divorce. What I see, all around, on all sides, is that every friend and relative involved is eager to point the finger at one or the other of them and say, “It is all his/her fault.” I’m not sure that anyone has to be “at fault,” and I’m not sure that the marriage itself has to be deemed as an utter “failure,” simply because it did not last unto death. I know what the marriage vows are – “until death do us part” – and that is all well and good on some ideal, fairy-tale-ish level: “And they lived happily ever after. THE END.” But life is not this. Life is motion and change. There is not one thing under the sun that is static, that remains forever without some ultimate dissolution (though followed by a subsequent rebirth in another form). Even great mountains fade into valleys with time. Even stars die. Empires fall. But we humans want to defy the laws of change and motion – we want to create, here on earth, things that last forever. It seems to me perfectly conceivable that the relationship in question was a “good relationship,” a “good marriage,” that it was indeed “meant to be” – it was not a “mistake” of any sort, and its end does not indicate some sort of “failure.” It simply was what it was, and it lasted for precisely as long as it was meant to last – for as long as it served as a catalyst for growth on the parts of both parties involved. When it outlasted its usefulness, it dissolved. No need for blame, no need for pointing fingers, no need for analyzing faults or pinpointing mistakes. It is as it should be, and that is that.

I know that this view might not sit well with many, as it brings into question everything that the Christian religion has drummed into our heads concerning the purpose and nature of marriage. (I do not speak of other religions, only because I do not feel sufficiently informed to speak with confidence.) But I still think this idea of flux and change and motion is a more realistic view than the romantic and seemingly impossible ideal that we attempt to uphold: of a marriage that, once entered into, is meant to last throughout all eternity.

If I were ever to get married (again) this time I would choose different vows…

Now touch the air softly, step gently, one, two …
    I’ll love you ’til roses are robin’s egg blue;
    I’ll love you ’til gravel is eaten for bread,
    And lemons are orange, and lavender’s red.

Now touch the air softly, swing gently the broom.
    I’ll love you ’til windows are all of a room;
    And the table is laid, And the table is bare,
    And the ceiling reposes on bottomless air.

I’ll love you ’til heaven rips the stars from his coat,
    And the moon rows away in a glass-bottomed boat;
    And Orion steps down like a river below,
    And earth is ablaze, and oceans aglow.

So touch the air softly, and swing the broom high.
    We will dust the grey mountains, and sweep the blue sky:
    And I’ll love you as long as the furrow the plough,
    As however is ever, and ever is now.

(“Touch the Air Softly” by William Jay Smith)

…because the warrior’s road is an endless path.

22. Maria says:

Everytime I recieve this blog, I call my best friend and share with her words that are encouraging to hear. It helps her to continue the day and to strive for her dreams while ignoring those who are constantly trying to pull her down. Gracias Coelho por todo.
    -Maria

23. goldy says:

..every word that you write seems to speak for me to let people know how i feel..(coz sometimes feelings are hard to explain)..thank you!
    and im glad i’m not the only one who search for allies..
    ..it a nice feeling to read your blogs everyday..a daily inspiration for me..:-)

24. Borgny Sofie*Norway says:

I`m following my calling & dream*
    Exitement & joy are my challenging company.
    Loneliness – I know what that is. An old friend of mine

So to my allies out there…here I am!

25. Walkiria says:

Dear Paulo,

I simply love this :):):)

Simplesmente amei e entrou direto bem no meio do meu coracao hoje

com muto amor e eterna gratitude

Walkiria

26. luce says:

Dear, dear Paulo,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ……!

for every single word in this post

lOVE
    lUCE

27. Gerdy says:

I loved what you wrote about allies. It is so true and encouraging to read this because sometimes we feel our “best friends” are our allies but when the goings get tough their true personalities appear.

After reading this I am happy to know that I am not alone in my search for a true ally. :)

28. Irina Black says:

HOW to be a gourmet.Omar Xaiam advised not to eat “rubbish” and better go hungry.He also advised other interesting things to do.But that’s for gourmets.The common breeds the common.HOW to find allies-Kipling pointed tde direction.

29. Candie says:

Beautiful words here

30. MIT says:

It’s true…I’m like this: “They possess the quality of water: getting around rocks, adapting to the flow of the river, sometimes changing into a lake – until the hollow is full and it can continue on its path, because water never forgets that its destiny is the sea and that sooner or later that is where it has to reach.” Writed by Paulo Coehlo today

(I’m waiting to: That lake – until the hollow is full)I’m tired to be waiting.

I want to find a tank submerged in the lake and I got before

I want to much rain that the lake is full and I can continue my path ..

31. munrocea says:

I would definitely say that my own two grandmothers are essential allies!!

a broken leg mends….
    an amputated leg does not grow back…
    so, happiness i agree, is not to be under NOR overrated.
    best regards,
    Catherine x

32. Jolita A says:

How beautifully said and how well expressed the truth of Universe and Life, as we are the Universe and Life itself, even if it is just a small particle of it.

This lines encourages me to follow my dreams and personal goals with love and persistence, simplicity and magnificence within.

Thank you. Jolita

Right now I need some more allies.I am not complaining,just an idea.