The measure of love

Paulo Coelho

“I have always wanted to know if I was able to love like you do,” said the disciple of a Hindu master.

“There is nothing beyond love,” answered the master. “It’s love that keeps the world going round and the stars hanging in the sky.”

“I know all that. But how can I know if my love is great enough?”

“Try to find out if you abandon yourself to love or if you flee from your emotions. But don’t ask questions like that because love is neither great nor small. You can’t measure a feeling like you measure a road: if you act like that you will see only your reflection, like the moon in a lake, but you won’t be following your path.”

Comments

1. Mehrete Girmay says:

GOD is love! He shows us a clear example of what love is and how we, here on earth are to go about displaying that to all of mankind through our daily actions and also our interactions with others. It is my opinion in that to love another human being we must be more than content with the love that we have for ourselves. Love is such a beautiful emotion and we must be grateful for the blessing of its presence in our lives. I believe that one of the greatest feelings in the world is to love and to be loved by another;its like feeling the warmth of the sun from both sides. I am thankful for this gift and I fully embrace and receive it.

2. FARANGIZ says:

Dear Paulo Coelho!
    Thank you for your wisdom. your story is perfect! I also think that we can not measure love! of course this fealing is very strong and in some way simple, but we never know what we can do for the person who we love!!

3. Belén says:

-qué me pides a cambio de uno de tus hijos?…me dijo un día una persona cuando yo paseaba con ellos por el parque.
    -como voy a pedir algo a cambio!…le contesté indignada.
    -ves?…eres la persona más rica del mundo. contestó sonriendo.

era verdad. el amor no tiene precio y es la mayor riqueza que tenemos cuando nos acompaña en esta vida.

4. Annie,

Yes, you know back in 1640′s and 1790′s people were trustful and they knew what they said.., their was value of the words spoken but nowadays, “I love you” means “I want to @#$% “.

Humans have changed, society have changed, the way we speak have changed and the way people show they truly love someone has changed too…

Carolena Sabah,

-”The death could some how measure love but it is only excuse for problems, because love is far greater than death itself.”

-”Those who love do not fear death and their love is immortal like a immortal soul, life and death are just simple cycles which comes everyday with such love.”

I am sorry if it means something else because there is a problem with the Internet, one has to write and other has to understand what is written, indirect communication.., world was far better when people used to sit and talk, face-face.., but those golden days will hardly come back again..,

God bless you all !

5. Yerlin says:

A (added by Mobile using Mippin)

6. Yerlin says:

Creo q no hay manera de medir el amor. Talvez podamos ver el alcance de nuestro amor cuando esa persona que amamos no esta en nuestras vidas y vemos el vacio que ellas dejan y cuanto las extrañamos. Ahí sabemos si amamos mucho o poco. Pero el unico amor que si se que es grande es el amor de Dios. Y es el amor con el que siempre vamos a poder contar, el mas incondicional. (added by Mobile using Mippin)

7. Isobel says:

Yes I think it is impossible to measure Love when it’s really Love.Just like you said it isn’t measurable and speaks for itself.
    Can’t control,can’t explain,can’t describe.Love is,that’s all.

8. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo and friends,

Loved this story. Absolutely beautiful.

I have just two really important questions and if you or anyone else can answer them i’d really appreciate it:

1) i saw your agenda, as a link from you offical website, that: EVENTS APRIL 2009

The Winner Stands Alone in Russia, US, UK, France, Holland, Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Greece, Lebanon, Australia, India and South Africa.

I was just wondering, is this going to be for the release of the book or are you visiting this places as well? (If you say you’re visiting SA i will be the most estatic person in the world :) )

2) There is a prayer you wrote on doubt. You always tell the story of how you picked it up one day on the street and you were suprised and joyful as you read your own words. I am at a time in my life where i just feel i need to read it again. Could you please post it up or email me or something? or anyone please put it up… For some reason i can’t stop thinking of reading that in particular again.

Yajna

PS is there an agenda on this website? there was one before but i can not seem to find it.

9. How Does one measure Love?

I don’t think it’s possible. I believe everyone has his/her own capacity and ability to love, and perhaps more important, to show that love.
    Although, probably the only measure of love that I know is if a person will die for someone they love.

There are people in my life I would die for!

love,
    C.

10. B*Sofie says:

I believe
    the measure of love – will be seen by its fruits*

Each time I neglect my emotions & tighten up my soul -
    the loving flame inside declines
    Being this sensitive at heart – as I am
    there is always new battles & challenges to meet

Standing on a new crossroad in this very moment -
    I`m determined to forward & deepen in Gods joyful unconfined love*

11. Diego says:

thanks paulo for giving us the best you find about life.

you are making a great diference in the world and im glad i read your blog almost every day. It is like a fuel to my soul and it always makes me feel real inner one.

love…

To Love is an ability, a talent, a virtue, a state of our Soul.
    It is the state that we find ourselves, as the flowers open their petals to the kiss of the sun,the caress of the breeze, the drops of water, the music of the Spheres and palpitation of the Universe.
    The nearer to the Light we are, the brighter .. Stars we become.
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

13. Liina.L says:

That is right. Love is nor great nor small. It might seem so as we look at something, for us, personally, it may seem as great or small, but the essence of love does not differ.

But it differs about if it IS love or if it is something else that we recieve, give out, feel.

Love from Estonia,
    L.L.

14. Irina Black says:

Manifestation.Woman can not be half pregnant.Sugar-not sweet.Sea without salt.Faith,without adoration and LOVE -nicely “packed”.To make “items” finite means to know how to name them.

Thanks for the wise story,dear Paulo.And thanks for the appropiate poem,dear Savita Vega.
    For my greatest shame, I had the same problem as the disciple, and the master answer just fit my own question. Is amazing how many things one can find out coming on this blog .I feel as taking part at an adventure,each day a new challenge.

16. Breda says:

meant to say ..’lure me back,’ I must not be rushed when writing on this blog : (
    Breda

17. Breda says:

I am tired from love ( Eros )and its tenticiles trying tol ure me back -to be hurt again – or not-I don’t know/or left dealing with the conseuences of the hurt this love has caused me in the past.
    Breda

I am “getting the measure of it”.
    Thanks for that. Awesome.

19. Jane Gaston says:

Real love is uninhibiting, unconditional, unrestrictive and unbelievable when you allow it to take over.

20. Dear Paulo,

-”Stupid are those who try to measure the depth of love simply because love is not measurable, neither found nor disovered.”

-”When we remove all the outer non-sense human thinking on love then the remaining inner layer which is hidden inside each individual secretly could result into love.”

-”Love creates miracle to happen, emotions could be changed, path can be forgotten, life can also change, everything around a human life changes with love.”

-”Love is like energy but in different form, ‘which can be created but cannot be destroyed’.”

-”Love has no differences like father love, mother love, country love, lover’s love, it remains constant forever and ever.”

God bless you all !

21. Savita Vega says:

Rumi on love:

Love comes with a knife, not some shy question,
    and not with fears for its reputation!
    —————————————-

Are you jealous of the ocean’s generosity?
    Why would you refuse to give
    this joy to anyone?

Fish don’t hold the sacred liquid in cups.
    They swim the huge fluid freedom.
    ———————————–

…You’ve been walking the ocean’s edge,
    holding your robes to keep them dry.

You must dive naked under, and deeper
    under, a thousand times deeper!
    ———————————–

Fall in love with the lover who
    disappears in a love for you. Be water searching
    for thirst. Be silent and all ears. When spring

ecstasy floods, build a dam or everything will wash
    away. Oh let it go! Under the foundations’s ruins

there’s treasure. Those drowned in God want to be
    more drowned….
    ———————————–

Gamble everything for love,
    if you’re a true human being.

If not, leave
    this gathering….
    ———————————–

…Listen to the moan of a dog for its master.
    That whining is the connection.

There are love-dogs
    no one knows the names of

Give your life
    to be one of them.

Loving, I think, is a little like going sky-diving. The trick is to find someone who is willing to make that jump with you. There is no half-way method to jumping out of a plane – either you jump, or you don’t. I’ve never been sky-diving; I just like the metaphor. I like watching sky-divers: the way they hold hands, fists clenched, or let go and soar apart from one another, head thrown back, laughing, their clothes fluttering in the wind. How they revel in that freedom!