The hundredth name (Sufi tradition)

Paulo Coelho

A student asked his Sufi master to reveal God’s fifth name.

“Whoever knows that name is capable of changing History,” he answered. The master asked him to spend the whole day at the gates of the city.

The boy returned the following day.

“What did you see?” asked the master.

“An old man tried to enter the city to sell a sheep. The guard wanted to tax him but the man had no money. So the guard stole his sheep and chased him off. I thought: if I only knew God’s hidden name I could change this situation.”

“You could have prevented this injustice, but you preferred to stand there dreaming of a revelation. Such stupidity! Well, then, I shall tell you God’s fifth name: act on behalf of others. That’s the only way we can change History.”

Comments

1. Wow, this posts shows that you really know and feel passionately about this subject. Ive never taken the time to comment before, but I just had to let you know how much I appreciate your honesty and candor.

A good story. Is valid for many, sometimes for me too. Day dreaming can inspire us sometimes, but only if is not a habit.

3. inge van der wijk says:

The camel is the only one that knows the 100th name of
    God, that’s why he is so “hautain”
    Inge – Assen, the Netherlands

4. marie-christine says:

that’s what I am doing.

5. Fatimah says:

great story…. its impressing.

we all need some work on it.
    i hope everyone here understand this very well that we all need to act. ct for other, an act for humanity.
    me and my husband love ur work Mr.Paulo, we always look for you latest work availiblity in our nearest store.
    the Alchemist was best of all.
    long time ago an unfreindly once told me: in life its best to use ur eyes more then ur mouth. it neverwent off from my mind.

Life’s Rocking..

6. aditya says:

why are we so obsessed with ‘changing history’? yes we should act on behalf of others, but in such a manner that the other may not even know s/he has been helped. if the desire is primarily to chnage history so that my name lives on even after i am gone then it is pure trip and the consequnces would also be as such.

acting of behalf of others purely from compassion, can we feel the pain, will broden our consiousness, make us his beloved, then we don’t have to go on looking for HER, SHE looks after me.

love
    aditya

7. Juliane says:

I don t know, whether to act can change history, maybe it is just a part of it, but I agree, that it is important to act. Means to me, also ,if we have our spirit in heaven or sometimes in clouds,to stand on the earth good grounded with our to feets. And when we see, that something is going wrong to act or to speak it out. Courage and compassion are part of being ” on the way”

8. Dear all,

-“There is no name of God and there should never be any name, he/she/it was called God and it remains as only God.”

-“All our actions are HIS reactions.”

-“Always human misunderstood, God with different prophets of religion when they all wanted to say, ‘Believe in your inner soul and beauty of its action, those are all made for you and only you’, Wake up my child, be accountable to your duty.”

-” As Majority of human, fingers are not same similarly, it is good to accept the world as it is and not what our fantasy world sees.”

-“In my mind, you live; in my heart, you seat; in you soul, you wake up.”

God bless you all !

Thanks Heart . Loved your lines.
    Love, Alexandra

10. Breda says:

Daily acts of kindness equal love,
    Love,
    Breda

To put into action the … theory, of love, concern, justice, respect…
    To be true Warriors of the Light. in the name of .. Light!
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

12. How Kuff says:

The 99 traditional Sufi names for God are all very impressive. I appreciate the insight that it is in our actions that we have the power to change history. Very nice. Thank you. I would like to extend this thought a bit further…

We are all interconnected. We share the same molecules, the same needs and desires, and the same history. What each of us does affects that around us. That is why it is important to be aware of things that we are doing and saying… because of their impact upon others.

History is itself a difficult concept. Many people say that ‘history is the past’. However, history is continually being reinterpreted. History is not fixed or set in stone. Sure there are facts that may be indisputable, but facts without context are meaningless. So it is within some context that we view history. But as we change and learn more (personally and culturally), the context within which we see the facts changes.

If you believe that it is our nature to act freely and affect the things around us, and if we are affected by that which has occurred in the past, then by the actions in our daily lives we help create the milieu in which our children (the future) will live. That is the amazing power (and responsibility) that we have to take the past, add our free moving and thinking actions, and help create the future.

That is how we Change History. That is how within the milieu in which we live, we act through our past with our personal expressions and actions, to create the future. In this way we make the world. In this way we are God. Like in the Buddhist understandings of interconnectedness and Universal Mind, we are part of the life force. We are the Creators of the world. We are ‘Universal Self’ — the other name for God. http://www.Changing-History.com

13. Irina Black says:

Knowing God.At the right time in the right place to be active or passive.

14. Heart says:

…so God’s name is not ‘Survival of the fittest’, wink wink to any Darwinist out there :)

15. Heart says:

‘Act on behalf of others’. It’s often amazing how moral lessons have been described differently in the various beliefs…here Sufi. Yesterdays liturgy in the Catholic Church had very similar moral message, about the good Shepherd;
    ‘He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own, the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep, I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason my Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father. (John 10.11-18)

Are we willing to act on the behalf of others, to the point of giving our life for them? Most parents would for their own children, but too often we are indifferent hirelings or Sufi boys. God give us all courage to move mountains!

17. sido66 says:

If I owed paper a name on a white pebble, I shall write LOVE.

The love in the soul