The importance of looking – Part 1

Paulo Coelho

At first Lex Maars was just a persistent fellow. For five years he religiously sent to my office in Barcelona an invitation for me to give a lecture at The Hague in Holland.

For five years my office invariably answered that my agenda was full. The truth is that the agenda is not always full, but a writer is not necessarily someone who can speak well in public. Besides, everything that I have to say is in the books and columns I write – that is why I always avoid giving talks.

Lex discovered that I was going to record a program for a TV channel in Holland. When I came down for the filming, he was waiting for me in the hotel lobby. He introduced himself and asked me to accompany him, saying:

“I am not someone who can’t take “no” for an answer. It’s just that I believe I’ve been trying to do things the wrong way.”

One has to fight for one’s dreams, but one also has to know that when certain paths prove impossible, it’s better to save one’s energies for other paths. I could simply say “no” (I have often said and heard that word), but I decided to try something more diplomatic: set conditions that were impossible to fulfill. I said I would not charge for the lecture, but admission must be less than two Euros and the room must be limited to 200 people at the most.

Lex agreed.

“You’re going to spend more than you make,” I warned. “By my count, the airline ticket and the hotel alone cost three times what you will get if you manage to have a full house. Then there is the cost of publicity, renting the hall …”

Lex interrupted me saying that none of that was of any importance, he was doing that because of what he saw in his profession.

“I organize events because I have to go on believing that human beings are seeking a better world. I have to contribute to making that become possible.”

What was his profession?

The rest of this text will be published here tomorrow

Comments

1. khadidja says:

j veut le résultat de bem code.5120544

2. Ca says:

Cher Maitre,

Quelle que soit sa profession a mon avis Lex est digne d’admiration, vu sa persistance et sa capacité de croire en rendre ses rêves et objectifs possibles.
    J’aime bien leur flexibilité, il est humble de pouvoir accepter si la vie ne lui donnera pas des possibilités qu’il arrive a leur but, il peut accepter un non, mais il ne mesure pas ses efforts pour rendre que ça deviens possible.
    Serait-il un ange gardien qui veut apporter las paroles d’un grand sage a les gens ? Plaisanterie a parte, il est néanmoins un exemple de courage, et persistance.
    Hier je suis allée voir le film « Coco avant Chanel » et j’ai admirée aussi la persistance de Coco Chanel pour arriver a leur objectif.
    Je suis d’accord avec toi qu’il est important de savoir accepter quand un chemin dans la vie se montre impossible pour nous, mais il est essentiel aussi que pendant qu’il y a encore le minimum d’espoir puisse persister et croire dans nos rêves.
    Ton parcours est un grande exemple de succès pour tout le monde, combien tu a persisté dans ton rêve, combien tu as cru dans un « oui » même si la vie a un moment donné te montrais cent fois « non ». J’imagine qu’en plusieurs moments tu as hésité en continuer ou changer le chemin devant les premiers obstacles de la vie, mais ton cœur a toujours parlé plus haut et aujourd ‘hui tu peux vivre le résultat d’avoir persisté dans ton chemin et croire dans tes rêves.
    Apparemment Lex aussi a pu voir les résultats de sa persistance, car je présume qui tu as finit pour faire la conférence. Peut etre qu’il a eu des préjudices financières, mais le fait de pouvoir réaliser un objectif qu’il a tellement persisté, il n’y a pas de somme d’argent qui pourrais être comparable.
    Mon amour, mon respect e ma gratitude.
    CA

Mars Bar? on the rocks… Merci!

4. […] The importance of looking – Part 1 Paulo Coelho At first Lex Maars was just a persistent fellow. For five years he… […]

5. susanhampshire says:

lex maars – light mars (warrior)

x Susan

6. susanhampshire says:

Definately a warrior of light, a teacher of sorts. I would guess someone involved with people who are influential, possibly misguided and unconscious politicians. However Holland is comparatively way more consciously run than a place like England. But that is not hard to beat !

Lex knew that ‘we should not put our Light’ under the table..
    He knew that ‘when we want something we can achieve it’ and he was ‘alert’ and full of enthusiasm for ..giving the opportunity to see you into your eyes! A beautiful music, your music, dear Paulo, to be shared with others.
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

8. Mari Ann says:

He was a warrior of light, but that is not a profession. Maybe he was a bishop trying to influence people to change the world by acting, and not only studying the scripture. I think he wanted to influence people to practice the essence or spirit of the Bible instead of getting blinded by all the fantastic words and stories. The essence of the Bible is a love message, not a message of predjudice. The Bible is a very good source for reflection over moral and ethical questions. But you can find arguments for whatever views you take when you read the Bible. It can therefore be a source for all sorts of conflicts by people who have contradictory views on different matters.
    I also think that Lex can see further – that followers of different religions have to focus on the love message within their religion. This love message has to be in focus in all religions and spirituality, and it has to be taken into all aspects of society in every country and between countries. The world is in deep trouble, and we have to start changing now, before it is too late. That is why Lex is willing to loose money on the event with Paulo Coelho – who will talk wisely about eros, philos and agape.
    (Lex could invite Paulo to stay at his home to save money and to get better acquainted – the last being most important.)

9. Mari Raphael says:

O que eu acho bacana mesmo, é ver a diversidade das linguas, e atualmente, muito mais respostas em português.
    Viva todas as profissões! … do bem .
    beijos,
    Mari.

a builder of churches with a lot of faith? who does not give up easily. I like both tactics actually.

11. Russell says:

He is indeed a seller of churches. He sells churches for the Vatican.

en francais: http://www.warriorofthelight.com/fran/down/GLO106.doc.

Not to look would be to deny who I am.

12. Akua says:

Humanitarian….or maybe a priest!

13. Ca says:

I agree with Annie… a warrior of light.

Love,

Ca

14. Daniela says:

Lawyer/judge

15. janinet41 says:

i think he’s a character from one of your books. ‘well you know my name is simon, and the things i draw come true. oh pictures, pictures take me over, climb the ladder with you…”.

16. T.K. says:

I think he is a writer and / or a teacher. In the United States teachers are underpaid, undervalued, and give of their own resources to provide materials for their students. This gentleman willing to not make a profit off of the event shows that his interest is about getting information out that will inform, inspire and possibly teach.

17. B*Sofie says:

This man must be a theologian/theologist
    in university or something like that –
    finding something wonderful & important
    outside the rigid systems of belief

Thanks to him & thanks to you Paulo*

18. Catherine says:

What was his profession?
    ………….
    I remember reading this story in a book of yours Paulo only last year; yet I did not take away from this story any memory of the profession – though i remember a smile…

i was however, really struck by the above sentence and how someone also went out of their way to make ‘things’ happen for the bettering of humanity. It came to me at a time when i was beginning to think that chances like this were no longer taking place.
    it’s a good story. ;o)
    thanks for sharing it ;o)

19. Diego says:

writter

20. David says:

He is a Think Tank director or a charitable foundation.

Hmm, maybe is a banker. If it would be a teacher, it would be no surprise, but you always find unusual things, so…

22. Maggie says:

This was funny and made me smile. I enjoy how real you are, as in a real person who gets annoyed and irritated and is just generally amusing—because of the realness.

23. Ca says:

Cher Maitre,

Mon amour, mon respect e ma gratitude.
    CA

24. Elaine says:

Quanto mais alguém se torna conhecido por suas obras ou feitos, maior é a responsabilidade em não cometer bobagens. Uma única opinião pode interferir numa vida inteira, para bem ou para muito pior. E interferir na vida de alguém requer muita responsabilidade, tanto quanto o cirurgião num momento crucial. E a vida não aceita desaforos bem sabemos.
    Por isso, o que o afasta para criar uma distância segura, o aproxima de um bem Maior se sua tarefa for bem feita. Escolher o que fazer sendo fiel ao seu coração. Sempre. E sempre. Ah, quem sabe a profissão do personagem em questão fosse alguém querendo consertar seus proprios erros ajudando a humanidade a evoluir, alguém como um ex combatente de guerra, por exemplo.

Only I try to guess, maybe he was a professor. I say that because we had many of such events organized in University, even now I receive many invitations to events. Yesterday I was invited to an evening where they talk about Vishnu. Today one professor sent me invitation to a new play, so on. I loved the meetings with writers, I dont know if you would ever accept to talk in my University, but the hall was always full to the brim, without you. I f you would come, I guess even all the roofs around University, the yard, all would be full with your fans.

26. sido66 says: