How to observe the flight of the arrow

Paulo Coelho

The arrow is intention projected into space.
Once it is fired, there is nothing left for the archer to do except accompany its path towards the target. From that moment on, the tension necessary for the shot has no more reason to exist.
The archer therefore keeps his eyes fixed on the flight of the arrow, but his heart is at rest and he smiles.
At that moment, if he has trained enough, if he has managed to develop his instinct, if he has maintained his elegance and concentration throughout the whole process of the shot, then he will feel the presence of the universe and hw will see that his action was fair and deserved.
Technique makes both hands always ready, breathing always precise, eyes able to fix on the target. Instinct makes the moment of the shot perfect.
Whoever passes by and sees the archer with his arms open and his eyes following the arrow will fancy that he is stopped. But the allies know that the mind of the one who fired the arrow has changed dimension and is now in contact with the entire universe: the mind goes on working, learning everything of a positive nature that the shot has brought, correcting any mistakes, accepting his qualities, and waiting to see how the target reacts when it is struck.
When the archer stretches the string, he can see the whole world inside his bow. When he accompanies the flight of the arrow, this world comes close to him, caresses him and makes him relish the perfect sensation of having fulfilled his duty.
A Warrior of Light, after fulfilling his duty and transforming his intention into gesture, need fear no more: he has done what he had to do. He has not allowed himself to be petrified by fear, for even if the arrow fails to reach its target, he will have another opportunity, because he has not been a coward.

Comments

1. Nicole says:

I have always wondered if one could,and should, rely entirely on their instinct in living out their daily lives. Recently I read that man can not rely on instinct alone. Instinct is the reactionary force in man and instinct on a large scale is what creates wars. The description went so far to say that man ceases to be ‘man’ when he uses instinct alone. Thought must accompany instinct in order for us ‘act’ right.

Your description of how to observe the flight of an arrow suggests ‘man’ needs to use all his faculties of stillness or focus of thought, instinct, breath awareness and non-attachment to the outcome. My question has been answered.

2. marja says:

Beautifully expressed Striving for perfection and working in trust with the universe Thanks for sharing

3. T.K. says:

The anticipation in the flight is a beautiful feeling. No fear or any doubts that you have given your best for that moment and that shot. There is peace. Thanks for sharing this today. I am inspired and once again hopeful for the journey.

4. Savita Vega says:

These words have been a great inspiration to me today, and as always, so fitting of the life events I am living in the moment:

Just put in my application for a teaching position in Santa Fe. Attached my resume to the email and hit send. I know that the target is just a little beyond range, but I figure I’ll try it anyway. Suddenly, I am that archer, standing frozen in time and space, my gaze fixed on the trajectory of that arrow as it hurls through space. No tension now. My part is done. I simply smile and wait.

5. Irina Black says:

The Battle should be won before it’s get started.(Deepak Chopra “Art of Archery.”)

6. Carolena says:

‘You must repeat and as if that’s not enough, you must repeat some more’!! :D I held a bow and arrow in my hand once, didn’t get to shoot it as I was on a set and it was only a prop. But I play pool, like a shark ;) I can see the similarities, although of course the metaphor to our Dreams with the bow and arrow fits much better!
    love
    C.

.. ‘that the mind of the one who fired the arrow has changed dimension and is now in contact with the entire universe’..
    … ‘he will have another opportunity..

I want to believe that these will apply to everything and that at the end we will be able to reach our target.
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

8. Heart says:

..’how the target reacts when it is struck’…with pain…unless it is a set up target with rings and a bulls eye for practicing.

9. Savita Vega says:

I am awe-struck by the beauty of this piece. I read it several times over, trying to absorb every line, like one who, in the desert, turns up his canteen and holds it above his lips, seeking to obtain every last drop of that quenching liquid.

I see the analogies. One by one, my mind follows them, like arrows drawn from a quiver and shot. Certain lines stand out:

THE ARROW (composed from Paulo Coelho’s words)

…Intention projected into space.
    The archer accompanies its path towards the target.
    From that moment on, tension has no more reason to exist.
    Eyes fixed…but his heart is at rest.

If…
    then he will feel the presence of the universe.

Instinct makes the moment of the shot perfect.

His mind has changed dimension
    and is now in contact with the entire universe:
    waiting to see how the target reacts….

The archer stretches the string,
    he can see the whole world inside his bow.
    This world comes close to him,
    caresses him, makes him relish this perfect sensation.

After…
    having transformed his intention into gesture, he need fear no more:

He has hit his target.

Reading your words, Paulo, I see the deep wisdom in them, I understand the metaphors. Still, the subject itself draws me in deeper and causes me to long for something more. During the time that it takes me to read from the first line to the last, I am no longer sitting here in my chair staring at a computer screen: I am a Scythian warrior on horseback. Or the target he aims at.

10. meire says:

As setas são as suas palavras mágicas, grande arqueiro zen!! Besos,Meire.

11. Simply beautiful… as the arrow we shall also set our intentions to space with no fear and with confidence, knowing that when follow our heart nothing can go wrong.

Love