Character of the week: Rumi

All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.

Silence is an ocean. Speech is a river. Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you; Don’t go back to sleep. You must ask for what you really want; Don’t go back to sleep. People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch. The door is round and open. Don’t go back to sleep.

“When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.
Praise God for those two insomnias!
And the difference between them.”

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Balkh, or Rumi (30 September 1207 – 17 December 1273), was a 13th-century Persian muslim poet, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic.

Comments

1. eleonora says:

Lascia che la bellezza di ciò che si ama sia quello che fate.

2. eleonora says:

meravigliosa..If in thirst you drink water from a cup, you see God in it. Those who are not in love with God will see only their own faces in it

“When I am with you, we stay up all night.
    When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.
    Praise God for those two insomnias!
    And the difference between them.”

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.

1. eleonora says:

“When I am with you, we stay up all night.
      When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.
      Praise God for those two insomnias!
      And the difference between them.”

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.

3. jackienoriega says:

TODAS ESTAS PALABRAS LLENAS DE SABIDURIA ENDULZAN MI CORAZON Y ENALTECEN MI ALMA SOY CAPAZ DE ENTENDER Y APRENDER CON HUMILDAS GRACIAS A ESE RUMI QUE EXISTIO Y PLASMO TANTA BELLEZA EN ESTOS POEMAS Y EN ESTA PROSA Y ATI PAULO QUE AUN LO PONES EN VIGENCIA PARA LOS SEGUIDORES DE TU BLOG

4. hamed says:

Molana(Rumi) belongs to all people for all the times, but we have to consider that he is one of the greatest iranian peot, others are Khayam , Hafez , Ferdosi and…

1. Salaam says:

Happy Birthday to Maulana Jalaudin Mohammad Balkhi, known as Rumi to English native speakers! Some very few sources believe that Rumi’s birthday is on September 28, but the majority believe his birthday is on September 30. There is only one source, which has cited his birthday on October 2. I have written a poem and an… article for the pride of Persian Farsi/ Dari literature and as an homage to Rumi’s poetry and his virtuous personality. I wish him and all those extraordinarily wonderful people who have almost the same birthday as Rumi a very happy birthday! :)
      The below link will take you the English translation of the poem with an English article, thanks for your interest in Afghanistan’s poetry.

5. VF says:

Molana was not from Rum and was not from Balkh, he was an Iranian philosopher and his poems were all written in Persian.

6. Sahar says:

Wisdom…

Thank you… Your blogs always lifts my drawning soul!!

7. Guru Talks says:

Lot of people became famous just coz they were in search of “who am I?” and “who is God?” even they find out water and quench their thirst — but, we fool watching distance away reading and talking all about them. Did Rumi talked about anyone apart from God?

1. burcu says:

is there a need for him to talk about anyone apart from God? even you can talk about anyone.

8. Andaleeb says:

Superb !!

9. sharan says:

bravo…. to both sir Paulo and Rumi who helped me open my eyes to the blatant truth of life….
    thnx….

10. Mariam says:

I do love the way you appreciate Persian poets and theologians :) Being a PERSIAN ,i am extremely proud of being able to read these words in its original language and remember it in mind. . . Thank you for reminding me How much I AM LUCKY~

11. olga says:

gracias

12. Olta Ana says:

Beautiful!
    I have read and reread this so many times and yet I don’t know what to say but this note
    If you have no words than share. ;)

Love

13. Sunny Suman says:

luvd Runi’s words. Oh! hw rightly these great men speak, enough to touch everyone’s heart and soul(at least mine). Living by them is a challenge for us all. Though I know, I can’t ever perfectly live by them, I won’t stop trying.

Thanks Paulo for your efforts through this blog that may change tomorrow’s world. Beautiful!!!

14. ajay says:

thank you paulo,for introducing me to rumi

15. littlemiss-s says:

and wow what a wondeful character u chose to share with us all this week Paulo! As for the response you’ve had I would probably say he is the charcter of a lifetime! :-)

16. alizarmy says:

People worship religion’s and prophets. Rumi’s connection with God is beyond religions of man. God is not just the creator but also all creation. The collective existence of everything that is and isn’t. The continually evolving intelligence.

1. Saffiah says:

Dear Alizarmy,

Religions are paths to meet the Creator of all things, which is God. We are all going to the same place, but some choose to follow a certain way of approaching to Him… Religions are a gift from God to get less bruised and helpless throughout this journey, but He gave us also free will.

And it’s true that God (the Creator) is reflected in His creations… but one shouldn’t confuse the paintings with the Paintor. You can admire the artwork and see the traces of the Paintor, but the paintings are not the Paintor.

Also notice that Hz. Rumi (as), followed a Sufi path, within the mystic side of Islam.

Salams

2. fatima says:

that’s true as God has blowed his spirit in all his creations…it’s just we forget our esteem…

17. katie says:

“The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you ….”

when things fall apart & change comes, it can often take some time. during this time, the body & mind need rests/”distractions” to recover, stay strong. one can do it in different ways: sleeping, eating, drinking, exercising, etc. all can give us a break from intense times; and it is a question of intensity and whether one may get stuck with this:
    “Don’t go back to sleep. You must ask for what you really want; Don’t go back to sleep.”

The dawn is the moment of beginning of a new day, and it comes in small steps. change happens in the same way. it already happens in the moment when things fall apart, but is so subtle that it can be easily missed because at this time we still need our “sleep” and may grieve.

the most beautiful dawn in summer: when the first bird wakes up in the woods and starts to sing. its voice sounds tired and quiet. and then the others follow, one by one, louder & louder. when the sun comes up, it feels as if we had a long morning; the birds are giving a loud concert, just before they stop and start to look for food. And this is the usual time, man gets up.

18. Naima A. Khan says:

Some of my favourite quotes by Rumi I would like to share with all:

‘I died as inert matter and became a plant. And as plant I died and became an animal. I died as an animal, and became a man. So why should I fear losing my human character? I shall die as a man to rise in angelic form.’
    …………………

‘The pen breaks when it is to describe love..
    He who has become the prey of Love, How could he become the prey of death.’
    …………………
    ‘Be not content with stories of those who went before you. Go forth and create your own story!’
    …………………
    ‘Be certain in the religion of love. There are no believers or disbelievers, love embrace all!’
    -Mawlana Rumi

19. clarisa says:

Hermoso..siempre..hermoso y sabio,Rumi..
    Caminar entre los dos mundos,saber unirlos..esa es la cuestion..Se puede lograr con un puente de Amor..besos

20. soheila says:

in both languages (English and Farsi) with brief notes on Divan-e Shams…

Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.: Not so easy task, dear Paulo, not so easy to be the rays of the Sun…

Have fun!
    Kind regards,
    Soheila

21. Mehri says:

Dear paulo
    thanks, i enjoy it, i proud of Rumi as an Iranian

22. Jane Stewart says:

“When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.”
    - The Alchemist

Full of J O Y! Thankyou for this post, I love Rumi’s works; appreciate so much.

Watching Sufi dancing in YouTube was a beautiful experience. To be a prayer (the essence of my dreams, since they are blessed and alive) in motion.

Enjoyed reading the comments posted and ‘Offgrid’s’ Blog too,
    Love and Blessings,
    Jane xo

23. aksh says:

HI folks !!

as zesus used to say “u should eat me up, bone and blood and all” i don’t know if he said this, but he would have said it had ne been here today, remembering zesus let’s remember that at least in western world civilisation starts with Zesus, teh chap who told that hate can be answed only with love. taking advise of this old adviser, let’s chew on rumi.

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” rumi does not ask us to destroy the barrier, for in such cases the mere knowldge is enough, teh moment u locate teh barrier, it gets felled, knowldge liberates. problem is knowldge cannot be borrowed, it has to be earned, risking one’e own life, carrier, wellbeing.

“Silence is an ocean. Speech is a river. Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation” show no disrespect for poor tranlation though, without the poor translation, many may never know zesus or rumi or even paulo.

“The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you; Don’t go back to sleep. You must ask for what you really want; Don’t go back to sleep.” right o!! man and now that Paulo and rest opf us too have understood you, thnaks. from now on everyone take a pledge to get up before crack of dawn. rumi did not say that breeze at noon has any secreates.

“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.”” nothing but silnce can greet this thunderbolt, yet poor translation must be attempted. since i saw this ‘quote’ months / years ago it has remained next to my workplace, making me remember to add my love to whatever i do, whether willingly out of self initiatve or what i must do.

let the beauty of your love permeate every moment of your existance.

love

1. katie says:

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field.” I will meet you there” maulana ! what is ij your mind; hope he was not saying this to ‘seduce’ some chaste…”

ken wilber’s book “no boundary” is great for working on this.
      for me it is going beyond dualism: feels like a good place … :o)

24. huma arshad says:

Every living thing is a shadow of God ,as much as you feel the love of God as much you can see Him, God is all the time with you
    When you wake up and blink your eye its God who enable you to blink it
    when you move your hands to accomplish any task its God who help you
    When you are in pain and wants to cry its God who make you flow your worries in the form of tears;
    when the whole world is against you its God who show you the light to the darkness
    its just the way you perceive things,and the more you love to God the more you can able to interpret His signs

1. raminder singh says:

unless we are filled with ego , we unable to feel the meaning of these words, & ofcourse the very presence of GOD around us ,

25. aksh says:

within and without ! open your eyes and see baby..

love

26. StarlingSeven says:

I believe in love and following my own truth.

It is good to hear from like minded souls.

You are beautiful.

27. maya khristine says:

This is the first time I learned about Rumi. But I have to say that his words are full of wisdom and so powerful that it can flourish in many generations.

28. Rodney says:

Thank you so much, We are steal fighting for are life here, theres just one other thing jesus is not the name that died for us and jesus the name is not his. he said my name is in my fathers name.I did not see that in his name, (jesus),well its a lie and cause and effect applies to a lie. he can’t change his boundary he has set up, With are understanding as we grow in are understanding of truth we can fix it just seek him and the kingdom will be added I have it but you have to seek as a people it we the people the 4 letters that were on the cross (YLWH)I found it you can to. I love you. ME

29. breda says:

The poetry of Rumi is a veritable feast of words – food for our souls and our intellect,made all the more rich by everyones reflections here on the blog…I experience like a healing baslm.
    I’m really enjoying it.
    Love and Gratitude
    Breda

30. parece que estou digitando tudo errado hoje :) fora dos eixos ainda.

espero que tenha um abençoado fim de semana, Paulo!

obrigada por tudo, tudo (eu sei que sempre digo isso, mas é que esse “tudo” engloba muuuuuita coisa :)

beijos <333

31. Andrew says:

I fell in love with me
    right in front of you
    like i always did
    mirrored in your innocence
    the beauty of my soul.

A rumi style poem
    By Andrew Newman

32. MONIKA says:

I just ordered a book of Rumi in net; verses and prosa.

33. babak says:

Here is the original poem of the second paragaph(all day ….):
    (It’s persian):
    روزها فکر من این است و همه شب سخنم/
    كه چرا غافل از احوال دل خويشتنم/
    از كجا آمده ام، آمدنم بهر چه بود/
    به كجا ميروم آخر ننمايي وطنم.
    So influencing for it’s rhythm and meaning….

34. Offgrid says:

Don’т yoυ ĸnow yeт? Iт ιѕ yoυr lιgнт тнaт lιgнтѕ тнe worldѕ. ~ Rumi

1. Rodney says:

who are you how did you do that?

2. aksh says:

Hi offgrid !

hope u are not too much off the grid, take the grid with you, wherever u are off to ;-))))

einstein said the importance of observer ( you, and me and heart and tarek and thelma and grignote and annie and sheela, and paulo and …. in short you and me, in shorter still you alone, the me that i & we know is not, only you are or only i am ) einstein said without you there is no moon, if no observer, no observation and hence no observed.

this is why universe is so happy to have you here.

chase your dreams like Paulo wants us to, but chase like an emperor, like a sovereign, not a begger. even when an emperor begs he is not a begger, the sheer class, the dignity – your light which lights the universes, for you are light.

If Rumi is resting in the arms of his hevenly damsels ! what would he be thinking / commenting on us discussing him and his love..

love

3. Satora says:

Dear Aksh,

to be “off the grid” you need lots of “sunshine”…
      which you know about don’t you …
      It is good to see you again..

With loving kindness,

Satora

35. grignote says:

Il parait que les “Ecureuils de Central Park sont tristes le Lundi.” Je le savais pas et toi?

1. “Et la vie n’est plus jamais triste. Ni le samedi, ni le dimanche, ni le lundi…”

2. accord says:

ou “mardi, mercredi jeudi et vendredi.”

3. marie-christine says:

Traduction des jours de la semaine day = jour Bonjour!
      lun = lune Mon moon =light
      tu es = you are= tues
      mer =merc merci thank you wednes
      jeu = jeux it’s play time taking thursty
      ven – wind fri freenotes
      sam – s ame sat saturn ca tourne
      dim – dime sunshine sun light a gain

must dash away Love to all :) don’t be noti!

36. Ace says:

What Rumi is trying to say in the above quote, is what is what is at the core of Sufism
    “God, who cannot fit in anything, can fit into the heart of his believing servant”. God says in the Quraan “I am closer to him (man) than his jugular vein”
    God also says in the Quraan
    “When I have fashioned him(man) and breathed into him of My spirit”. We, every living person on the face of this earth has God within him/her self

So indeed if we look inward we can find God within ourselves :)

Go in peace

37. Eftyhia says:

Dearest Paulo,

Thanks for selecting such beautiful pieces. I began to love Rumi when your readers kindly posted some of his poems last September, after you invited us to include our favourite poems. Here are some more Rumi gems:

‘…I remind you with these poems
    to dress in the flower of God’s qualities,
    not your torn robe of self-accusation.’

‘Soul, if you want to learn secrets,
    your heart must forget about shame
    and dignity. You are God’s lover,
    yet you worry what people are saying…’

‘Every tree, every growing thing as it
    grows, says this truth; You harvest what
    you sow. With life as short as a half-
    taken breath, don’t plant anything but
    love…’

Enjoy. Thanks and love to everyone, including you, dear teacher,
    xo.