The missing brick

Once, when I and my wife were traveling, I received a fax from my secretary.

‘When they delivered the material, there was one glass brick missing for the work on the kitchen renovation,’ she said.
‘I’m sending you the original plan as well as the plan the builder has come up with to compensate for it.’

On the one hand was the design my wife had made: harmonious lines of bricks with an opening for ventilation.
On the other hand was the plan drawn up to resolve the problem of the missing brick: a real jigsaw puzzle in which the glass squares were arranged in a higgledy-piggledy fashion that defied aesthetics.

‘Just buy another brick,’ wrote my wife. And so they did and thus stuck to the original design.

That afternoon, I thought for a long time about what had happened; how often, for the lack of one brick, we completely distort the original plan of our lives.

Comments

1. Andriy says:

Changes and distortions in life does not mean odd in a bad way. Changes and distortions may even lead to a much better life.

2. Tents says:

There are some events in our life which prevents us from following our plans. However this events does not destroy our plans but makes it into a better plan by changing some good things unknowingly.

3. Rabbit Hutch says:

Despite the fact that we already had plans laid out, there will alway come a time where your plans may detract and you need to change your plans. Flexibility is important in this type. I, myself have also encountered this kind of issue wherein I have to redo/change all of my plans due to a small error.

To sum it up, everything went well despite the changes.

4. Andrés T. P. says:

…jejeje…es preocupante, empecinarse, aun mas……..
    …..seguro que el que preparo su pedido estaba con ganas de cachondeo…..se tuvo que reír lo suyo…el humor…
    ….. ese ladrillo que se durmió…..un abrazo.

5. MH says:

what about when there are no more bricks left?

6. ROSA ISELA says:

EN OCASIONES PERDEMOS LA ARMONIA AL EXTRAVIAR ALGO, PERO TAMBIEN DEVEMOS ADAPTARNOS A LAS NUEVAS CIRCUNSTANCIAS. SIEMPRE EXISTE UN SEGUNDO CAMINO PARA PODER DAR VELLESA A NUESTRAS VIDAS, AUNQUE NO SIEMPRE ES EL QUE IMAJINAMOS. Y SI ESTO NO N OS CONVENCE PUES SIEMPRE QUEDA LA OPORTUNIDAD DE COMENZAR DENUEVO E INTENTARLO HASTA LOGRARLO ;D

- Thinking outside the box -
    The place I worked had a gate with narrow bars to prevent children going out of the room.
    One day, one child put his head through it.
    The young woman I was working with, as cool as a cucumber,
    said “Hold his head and I’ll turn him around ” So we picked him up and he got freed in no time.
    I was left with my mouth hanging out marvelling at the way she had solved the problem.
    That day I learned that we develop our strength with the others.

1. Daniel says:

This reminds me of the time my son got his head stuck between two poles. Everyone was frantically trying to pull him through the bars, getting him to turn his head etc. Eventually everyone stepped back to discuss the options, when before our eyes he calmly stepped throug the bars. We all assumed he had gone head first, but he went backwards and got stuck because his head wouldn’t fit where his body could! Simple solutions. How we complicate things sometimes! :)

8. nikamarie says:

Wise and simple choice Chris!

This one made me giggle.

1. nikamarie says:

“God keep me on the right path”

9. Afagh says:

I used to adapted to forget lost & gone.18 y/ago I was a new employee midwife trying to help expulsion of a baby in a stormy day when electricity power lost & emergency lights did,nt turn on .delivery was done but at such dark labor room I could,nt see deliberately to repair the sight . Nature had tactfully done its duty even in darkness but I could,nt do even in light 2 hours later when E/lights finally turn on ,I was so nervous because golden time to do was past not for darkness, but for a missed little instrument in darkness anyway,it depends on the applied lost piece of bricks & this fact that we should change our embarrassing to respect to wisdom of nature choose or humble & cope of difficulties to back calm & our soul connection to base of LOVE source , it let think & decide easier .