Destiny and fate

What does fate have to do with our Personal Legend? (by Mike)

There’s an important difference between blind fate and the path of the personal legend. When we speak of fate, man’s free will is absent: we are merely puppets in the hands of a cold and distant puppeteer.
In the case of personal legend, there’s the dimension of mission. This means that the person has to actively wish to thread down the path that will enable her to flourish. It is a difficult path, there are many obstacles, but it’s the person’s choice. There is always the possibility for us to turn our backs to our personal legend.

Can the heart be wrong? (by Antonya)

How will you judge that? With your mind? If you do this, you will always find ways to discredit your heart. But these are illusions.
Think of your heart as an instrument that goes beyond the typical right and wrong views. Your heart will always be your north star in life – as long as you listen to it and give it a chance to talk to you.

If the Universe says No, sometimes more than once, to something you really want, what do you do? (by Angie)

If your wish is deep-rooted in your soul, persist. If not – the Universe is simply echoing your inner turmoil.
Always ask yourself how far are you able to go in the path of your dreams. Only when you are capable of answering that question will you be able to move forward.
But don’t forget: to enjoy the rainbow, you must also enjoy the rain

Comments

1. Shreya Damani says:

Loved your last answer.. it is realy true! :)

2. kamy says:

The universe says NO!

What a powerful statement.

I’m thinking about this one.

1. hector says:

you accept… We do not have the power to change destiny. In this case, it is the universe that is telling us to deviate and look for an alternate way.

2. Mclane says:

pienso a veces que No todo lo que queremos es lo que necesitamos…….

3. kamy says:

‘YES’ or ‘NO’ would be alike. If I realise that the universe is interacting with me I’d be in AWE; I would silence all the noises and tune to the symphony of the universe; I would listen, listen and listen: such a curious being I am!

3. farzaneh zahiri says:

Great, I have had the same questions throughout my life.
    I have asked these questions (and many more) from many people, including religion scholars, however your answers are more convincing and more motivating.
    Like for example, when I asked them about “If the Universe says No, sometimes more than once, to something you really want, what do you do?”, they will simply say let go of whatever the dream is, because GOD’s wiling is something else.
    Now I do believe that GOD wants the best for everyone, but they are somehow against any persisting.

Thanks so much Dear Paulo,
    Love,
    x

4. Arif Rahman says:

thank you for your nice blog. It answered a critical question many asked. One thing i believe and seen in my life that you can’t just go by your heart. We do dream a lot and our heart lead us to so many things that we want. However, (although nothing may be impossible) my minds tells me if going after whatever my heart is leading me to, is worth it or feasible or meaningful. I don’t know if I explained it correctly, it is like a sense of ‘reality check’ in my mind. I see things that my heart wants but from my mind I know that is not a realistic/reasonable want, so I stay away from those wants. Using mind to reasonable/rational thinking along with the heart’s desire works for me better without discrediting my heart. Thanks again.

1. Daniel says:

Hey Arif

You’re very right; at the same time I believe Coelho’s all about ***shifting*** that reality check…

Why?
      Because perhaps what we perceive as real is only a *fraction* of a greater reality, where the heart and the universe around it have some sort of wi-fi.

So tricky!!!

Because on the one hand, it’s hard to admit that wifi of the heart exists
      (“magic”, “synchronicity”, call it what you want)

And on the other hand you don’t want to gice up on logic and rational thought, and believe anything any illuminated loony throws your way.

It is a thin red line to walk… we must be acrobats of mind & matter, of mind and heart…

Cheers!

5. PAOLO..I RESPECT YOU ALOT.. BECAUSE I RESPECT MY SELF AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE NORTH POLE ABOVE I DO RESPECT AND FEAR MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE..
    … I HAVE FOUND MY PATH.. THANK YOU 4 INSPIRATION AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN…
    I KNOW YOU HAVE FOUND YOUR PATH LONG TIME AGO..
    I AM CAPABLE.. CAN I BE YOUR OMEN IF YOU ALLOW ME..
    THANK YOU!!
    KARMIN MECKAEL

6. Giuseppe says:

I do not believe in fate “sic et simplicter” no man or woman can influence.
    The fate or the legend, we build, we decided, we have chosen the path. Again, the heart is not nothing without the brain and soul.

7. Milagros says:

Dear Paulo: Would like to share my view on the issue- destiny and fate.
    It is certain that some circumstances present themselves in our lives without our invitation, permission, or desire. But “free will” is an inalienable, intrinsic part of our human nature, don’t you think so? We always have the “choice” on how to respond to any circumstance or situation we find ourselves in.

I don’t feel like a puppet in the hands of a “cold and distant puppeteer”. I feel I am in the hands of a loving creator who knows exactly what experiences I need to go through in order to learn what “love” is all about. Lessons that I will not be able to learn just in one existence, the reason why I believe in reincarnation.

I spent most of my life trying to do something different than what life presented me with. I needed to go through some diseases(including cancer)in order to understand that I could, with a change in attitude, “bloom” wherever I was planted; and I’ve been doing so lately. I know now that if you listen to your heart,(that place where the energy of love (God) concentrates in our bodies), rather than your mind, you will find out if you need to make changes in the circumstances you are living, or within yourself.

Today I’ve come to realize that “here and now” is where I want and love to be, and with each day that passes I have a clearer vision of what my mission or personal leyend IS in this particular existence. GOD ALWAYS KNOWS BETTER!

(I am 61; born and raised in one of the Caribbean islands, english is my second language) NAMASTE!

8. Arif Jameel says:

Mr.Paulo Coelho
    Respected Sir,
    Would you like to guide me about your Novel “Alchemist”? Are you written the boy’s character on the Destiny and Fate point of view? If I think about the aspect of “Metaphysical Allegory “then he went to Egypt and when he decided to leave his mission and come back to Spain but suddenly he change his mind and decided to continue his mission. Is this Blind Faith or path of Personal Legend of him?

9. lila says:

yes we should listen to our hearts but what about loved ones around us? hurt them in order to follow our dreams?

10. Ana says:

it is written in your book that we must punish ourselves whenever we think bad of us,don’t you think that it will made us an egoist or we can become rude to others?

11. mara says:

TE AMO, PAULO ERES FANTASTICO EN CADA RESPUESTA EN CADA PALABRA EN CADA COSA QUE ESCRIBES DEFINITIVAMENTE LLEGAS A CADA SER QUE LEE TUS ESCRITOS YO ESTOY FASCINADA DEFINITIVAMENTE….. TE AMO……..BENDICIONES POR SIEMPRE

12. Jody says:

Thanks, Paolo… I really like the saying “To enjoy the rainbow, you must also enjoy the rain..”:)

13. Hanane says:

dear paulo,

how can i manage to trurst my heart again, i used to listen to him. that sound inside that told me that i m in the right path to my personal legende,the signes either were so clear and goes hand in hand with the heart languge. i followed my heart yet he betrayed me, each time i feel that “that’s it” in the reality it appears that “it is not”,,, this makes me don’t trust him, or to be more prcis afraid of trusting him. all what you said and you say is wonderful and i found my self in it, your words were my guide when i felt that i m surrundering , yet, now am asking the question “so why things goes diffrently for me?!!!!”
    thank you.

a Morrocan reader of your books and your quots.

1. Dear HANANE,i really understand your feeling because i felt it and i still sometimes feel it,but at least i always find myself returning and hearing my heart my little child because i can’t live without hearing him i can’t struggle that little sara inside my soul because i’ll be blind without HER.i decided 2 carry on listening my heart n i have a great hope that it will show me the way and i’m sure that all that pain that following my heart caused to me are exams and experiences.your sister and neightbour SARA from ALGERIA.WITH MY LOVE

2. dear HANANE.I really understand your feeling cauz i felt it before I wanna tell you not to loose hope and don’t stop hearing your heart for it is a part of God’s light.do never stop hearing that little Hanane in your bosom,whatever this life shows you that you are wrong,don’t strongle your little child;it your candle in darkness;you will become blind without it.smile after reading my msg ok?your sister smile keeper from ALGERIA “with my love”

14. JANI says:

❤ I LOVE YOU COELHO ❤

15. Patricia says:

¿como saber, que no se está, forzando el destino?

1. Patricia says:

Y será verdad que, ¿Cuando se fuerzan las cosas, siempre resultan mal??

16. C.A.R. says:

I think:
    The brain is our life’s computer and the compass to LEARN, the heart is our life’s energy to LOVE, we need both to LIVE in the triangle of life. We just have to balance them all (not an easy task).

17. Maria says:

…or in words of one of my favourite songs, “Baby’s got sunshine, cuz she dances through the rain.” Once again, it was as if you read my mind and sent an answer to my today’s dilemma :) Once again, thanks. Kisses from Marija :***

18. ana says:

Sr. Coelho,

He leido muchos de su libro y han llenado, animado e iluminado a mi persona. Solo tengo una pregunta, tiene usted hijos? Yo tengo una nena y soy madre soltera, ella es todo para mi pero tambien ella vino a darle a mi vida un giro de 1000 grados y hay momentos en los que siento q la vida se me fue de las manos, hay tanto que deseo hacer, aprender, conocer y disfrutar, me da pena… pero a veces siento q ella es algo que me impide hacer y llegar a donde quiero. Algun consejo? Por favor.

19. emilia says:

this is @Angie and all people interested in her question.my yoga teacher says that if you cannot do a pose you try and practice, and you will eventually do it.It may be in a week, in a month, in a year or in another life..don’t loose hope, persist as Paulo advises, but be realistic – if you wish for something impossible you will always be unhappy..
    best wishes and completion of your dreams to all:)

20. ishita says:

hi paulo…..

i read your views and comments very regularly.
    and i follow you as well.

at times life seems to be so harsh that it doesnt seem to support us any how.
    and i know very well if i want to enjoy the rainbow i will have to enjoy the rain as well.
    but please tell me, for how long? i dont know when will i fall. it seems the rain never wants to end. and i am staying and waiting.

lots of love
    please reply

21. Graciela says:

SR. USTED SIEMPRE TAN ACERTADO EN VERDAD SUS COMENTARIOS SON MUY ENRIQUECEDORES, AL MENOS A MI ME HACEN DETERME EN ESTE MI TAN INCIERTO CAMINO HACIA MI LEYENDA PERSONAL, MAS DE UNA VEZ EL UNIVERSO DICE NO, PERO MI CORAZON Y RAZON SE AFERRAN A SEGUIR… A VECES LUCHO Y LUCHO Y QUEDO EN EL MISMO LUGAR, QUIERO PENSAR, QUE ESTOY SIENDO SORDA A LOS GRITOS DEL UNIVERSO,QUE REALMENTE NO ME COMUNICO CON MI CORAZON…..POR MIS SUEÑOS EH APOSTADO TODO EH ENTREGADO TODO, Y MAS DE UN SIN FIN DE VECES ME EH SENTIDO COMO UNA MARIONETA DE MI PROPIO DESTINO…… GRACIAS POR EXISTIR, MIL BENDICIONES

22. Carolina says:

Hola
    Paulo
    es como si tocaras mi alma… existen muchas en tus libros que son muy coincidentes que me han ocurrido en mi vida historias y sobre todo con la magia…
    estoy pronto de ir a Brazil y es parte de mi leyenda personal
    gracias por llegar a mi alma

23. sanjit kumar das says:

thumbs up paulo

24. Lidya says:

I have an 18 yrs old daughter, full of fantasy, all her life she has read a lot and being in a mix marriage (I’m mexican and my husband italian) she got both worlds… now she’s living in a lies life, far from reality, we can’t understand why ’cause her life seemed full and intersting, anyway…. I don’t want to classify her as a lyer, or a person with psicological problems, as you wrote in your biography that you were in an asylum, I want to think that my daughter doesn’t needs that, but it’s so hard to deal with her… what would be your advice? thank you for your response and sorry to trouble you…

1. Nato says:

I couldn’t help but stop here and read it, whenever you say a life made of lies you are talking about a persons personal world, though far from reality it might seem it is THEIR reality, should this path be the wrong one for her it is only for her to find out, sadly when it comes to peoples lives you can’t do but wait and see, witness what they make of their own lives. She might seem crazy to you right now, but weren’t you? didn’t you have dreams, or fantasies? didn’t you want so hard to live them you could’ve just lived in your own little world? well apparently she is, what’s crazier then, to live in a world where you are comfortable and happy or to wake up to this crude plane of existance we so proudly call reality? if you really want her to wake up find out why she went away and disprove that, if you really believe she has psichologycal issues then see a psychiatrist, but if it’s just a phase then let her live it and emerge from it as a butterfly would emerge from her caccoon after havin morphed.

2. Milagros says:

I AGREE WITH YOU, NATO!!! NAMASTE!

3. redjem says:

c’est compliqué car sa situation est mal définie,il faudrait arriver a éclaircir ses origines,afin que votre fille puisse se positionner dans l’espace de sa vie,il faut etre patient car il faut trouver des repéres forts pour diriger sa route et ses objectifs,pour cela le manuel du guerrier de la lumiere de notre ami paulo est a mon avis une piste raisonnable de bon conseil,c’est un chemin solitaire mais il faut persévérer,soyez attentifs et surtout patients bon courage,bonne année et beaucoup de belles choses bien cordialement redjem