20 SEC READING: Would anyone know the difference?

A friend tells me the story of a father who took his two boys to play mini-golf. At the ticket office he wanted to know the price.

– Five coins for adults, three for those over six years. Under six years entry is free.

– One of them is three, the other seven. I’ll pay for the oldest.

– You are silly – said the ticket seller. You could have saved three coins, saying that the oldest was under six; I would never have known the difference.

– That may be, but the boys would know. And they would remember the bad example for ever.

Comments

1. Anna van de Berg says:

Attitude is always the best…if person could be able learned and accept who you are and be example to others espec. to your owned family. The, you don’t have to proved anything anymore, but before you really got that attitude you have to get that of u’re owned knees… at the end or oneday you will be rewarded …so always keep clear conscience and be courageous to others…that’s what I learned from my father as far I could remember him ….

2. ishita says:

thats nice.
    the honest man knows his actions are an example for his children and would be remembered someday later and may be questioned upon. the truth faced today will never pour hots tomorrow.

1. Asish says:

ya true

3. CREUSA ASSUNÇÃObc says:

TEMOS QUE DEIXAR O EXEMPLO DE HONESTIDADE, BONDADE E CARIDADE PARA NOSSOS FILHOS, AMIGOS.
    TEMOS QUE DAR O MELHOR QUE TEMOS……BEIJOS

4. I love Paulo Coelho’s writings. Recently in our group tarot sessions we’ve been focusing what we’ve been putting out in the world, really reflection on our purpose, how we’d like to be perceived and meditative and reflective healing. I think that character and leading by example is wonderful. The smallest things can leave the strongest enduring impression.

5. Richard says:

This is exactly what most of us fellow parents should be showing our little ones, living by example character counts…

6. Yara says:

Aslam once was accompanying Umar bin Al-Khattab on his patrol of Madinah at night, he felt tired and lent against a wall. They heard a woman saying to her daughter:
    -Oh my daughter, get up and mix that milk with some water.
    – Mother, didn’t you hear the decree of Amir Al-Mu’minin today?
    -What was that?
    -He ordered someone to announce that milk should not be mixed with water.
    -Get up and mix the milk with water; you are in a place where Umar cannot see you.
    -I cannot obey Him (Allah) in public and disobey Him in private.
    After Umar heard this, he said: “ Aslam, go there and see who that girl is, and whether she has a husband or not” Aslam went there and found out that she is not married. Umar’s son married to this young girl. She gave birth to a daughter (named Fatima), who grew up to be the mother of Umar bin Abdul-Aziz, one of the most respected caliphs for his honesty and, justice.

7. Yara says:

Aslam once was accompanying Umar bin Al-Khattab on his patrol of Madinah at night, it so happened that he leaned against a wall to rest when he felt tired. It was midnight, and they heard woman says to her daughter:

-O my daughter, get up and mix that milk with some water.

-O mother, did you not hear the decree of Amir Al-Mu’minin today?

-What was that?

-He ordered someone to announce that milk should not be mixed with water.

-I cannot obey Him (Allah) in public and disobey Him in private.

Umar heard this and said: “O Aslam, go there and see who that girl is, and whether she has a husband or not” So he went there and knew that she is not married. he came to Umar and told him what he had found out. He called his sons together, and said to them: “Do any of you need a wife, so I can arrange the marriage for you? If I had the desire to get married, I would have been the first one to marry this young woman.” Abdullah said: “I have a wife.” Abdur-Rahman said: “I have a wife.” ‘Asim said: “I do not have a wife, so let me marry her.” So they married. The woman gave birth to a daughter (named Fatima), who grew up to be the mother of Umar bin Abdul-Aziz who is the one of the most respected caliphs for his honesty, justice and devoutness.

8. Yara says:

‘I cannot obey Him in public and disobey Him in private’
    Aslam narrates that he was once accompanying Umar bin Al-Khattab on his patrol of Madinah at night, it so happened that he leaned against a wall (to rest) when he felt tired. It was midnight, and (we heard) a woman says to her daughter, “O my daughter, get up and mix that milk with some water.” The girl said, “O mother, did you not hear the decree of Amir Al-Mu’minin (chief of the believers) today?” The mother said, “What was that?” The girl said, “He ordered someone to announce in a loud voice that milk should not be mixed with water.” The mother said, “Get up and mix the milk with water; you are in a place where Umar cannot see you.” The girl told her mother, “I cannot obey Him (Allah) in public and disobey Him in private.” Umar heard this, and told me: “O Aslam, go to that place and see who that girl is, and whether she has a husband.” So I went to that place, and I saw that neither of them had a husband. I came to Umar and told him what I had found out. He called his sons together, and said to them: “Do any of you need a wife, so I can arrange the marriage for you? If I had the desire to get married, I would have been the first one to marry this young woman.” Abdullah said: “I have a wife.” Abdur-Rahman said: “I have a wife.” ‘Asim said: “I do not have a wife, so let me marry her.” So Umar arranged for her to be married to ‘Asim. The woman gave birth to a daughter (named Fatima), who grew up to be the mother of Umar bin Abdul-Aziz who is the one of the most respected caliphs for his honesty, justice and devoutness.

9. Haneen says:

I like it!
    it reminded me of a story I’ll post it soon.

10. Nara says:

This is awesome Sir…a good one on how to raise kids!

11. Lailah says:

This is so true. Bad examples are easy to follow!

12. samere says:

it reminds me how we should look at the simple thing, to be a good teacher and student of course

13. Gabriela de Argentina says:

It´s a good example about honesty!!

Love you ♥

14. Jo Barker says:

The child may see the example and understand the intention. sometimes in life there is a deal there for the making, we ought to take it and teach the understanding of when and when not to capitalise…

15. Gina says:

la mejor enseñanza el ejemplo, que valor tan perdido en mi medio, con razon la gente ya no sabe la diferencia entre lo bueno y lo malo

16. Liina.l says:

It reminds me of the story about heaven and hell, how one did not want to betray their friends and for that ended up going to heaven.

17. Liina.l says: