Character of the week: The Mother

EM PORTUGUES AQUI> Personagem da semana: A mãe
EN ESPANOL AQUI > Personaje de la semana: La madre

____________________________________________

by Erma Bombeck

When the Good Lord was creating mothers, He was into his sixth day of “overtime” when an angel appeared and said:
“You’re doing a lot of fiddling around on this one.”

And the Lord said, “Have you read the specs on this order?

* She has to be completely washable, but not plastic;
* Have 180 movable parts… all replaceable;
* Run on black coffee and leftovers;
* Have a lap that disappears when she stands up;
* A kiss that can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair;
* And six pairs of hands.”

The angel shook her head slowly and said, “Six pairs of hands… no way.”

“It’s not the hands that are causing me problems,” said the Lord. “It’s the three pairs of eyes that mothers have to have.”

“That’s on the standard model?” asked the angel.

The Lord nodded.
“One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks, ’What are you kids doing in there?’
“Another here in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn’t but what she has to know.
“And of course the ones here in front that can look at a child when he goofs up and say, ’I understand and I love you’ without so much as uttering a word.”

“Lord,” said the angel, touching His sleeve gently, “Go to bed. Tomorrow…”

“I can’t,” said the Lord, “I’m so close to creating something so close to myself. Already I have one who heals herself when she is sick
“…can feed a family of six on one pound of hamburger
“… and can get a nine-year-old to stand under a shower.”

The angel circled the model of a mother very slowly. “It’s too soft,” she sighed.

“But she’s tough!” said the Lord excitedly. “You cannot imagine what this mother can do or endure.”

“Can she think?”

“Not only can she think, but she can reason and compromise,” said the Creator.

Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek.
“There’s a leak,” she said. “I told You were trying to push too much into this model.”

“It’s not a leak,” said the Lord. “It’s a tear.”

“What’s it for?”

“It’s for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness, and pride.”

And the Mother was created – a work of genius.

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. Hugs and Kisses dear Paulo, Christina, all of the children,
    Love to the Fathers too.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Jane xo

2. Eva says:

While reading this I can’t help but smile and be teary eyed at the same time. I am a mom of a 2 yr old and I recently wrote on my blog about being a Wonder Womom (http://gettinginspiredtoday.blogspot.com/search/label/Wonder%20Womom), and somebody commented about this write up. It’s funny and comforting to know that I was really “made to have extra pair of eyes”.

3. Pilli says:

I love u mum

4. signee says:

i am so touched while i was reading it…its amazing that it made me cry…reading this reminds me of my mom and how much i love her…thank you Mr. Paulo Coelho…

1. Pilli says:

great signee….
      that made m me cry too

5. Joanna says:

im touched,great.Thanks
    Muito obrigada

6. House of Maktub says:

Dear Paulo, been such a long time, and this touches me deeply. I will send you a personal email to tell you why

with much love
    Ren
    house of maktub

7. Shreya Damani says:

Oh My God! It’s amazing.. I really loved this! :’)

8. Nea says:

:) perfect! jus how mothers are! :)

9. sol says:

Hermoso!
    gracias por la belleza de su obra.

10. Cristina says:

So lovely words.
    I am mother and I desired so much to become mother.
    Love
    Chris

11. kamy says:

Beautiful!
    I like also this quote by James Joyce:

‘Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother’s love is not.’

1. Iryna says:

Brilliant!!!

12. Every person that comes into our life comes for a reason, some come to learn and others come to teach. � Unknown

13. zajaczkowska says:

Thank you Mr.Coelho…..

14. manju goel says:

maa tujhe salaam, beautiful expressions –all of them

15. freda tsiloglou. says:

God couldn’t be everywhere, that’s why He made mothers…Thank you Lord for making us in your image….

16. Sylvia says:

That beautiful words!!!….Thanks…Mr. Coelho… I only hope that my kids beleive that I am a good mother…..and what my mother think that I am good daughter….

17. Naira Gasparyan says:

Mother – being one is a specific gift, the most important one of all god ever created. Even in the animal world it is the most important thing.For a woman the most important thing in life is her child, for a man – it is his mother. I happened to have read this in D.H Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers. Even at the age of 60 if you do have a mother you aren’t an orphan. When you lose your mother the whole world refuses to understand you. You begin to realize that she had been the only person to love you without hatred or without negative feelings.Nobody else is so forgiving, caring and affectionate

18. Co says:

Hello,
    some time ago I’ve received a similar story via e-mail & thought I’d share it with you. (Wanted to translate it myself, but in the meantime found the English version :)

A little boy asks his mother: “why do you cry?”
    “Because I am a woman”, she answers
    “I don’t understand,” he says
    His mother hugs him and says, “and you never will”
    Later the boy asked his father: “Why does mommy cry?
    “All women cry for no reason”, is all his father could answer him
    When he became an adult he asked God: “Lord, why do women cry so easily?”
    And G-D answered: “When I created woman she needed to be special.
    I created her shoulders strong enough to bear the weight of the world. And soft enough to be comfortable.”
    “I gave her the strength to give life, the kind that accepts the rejection that often comes from children.”
    “I gave her the strength to allow her to go on when everybody else gives up.
    The kind that takes care of her family, despite illness and fatigue.”
    “I gave her the sensitivity to love her children unconditionally, even when they have hurt deeply.”
    “I gave her the strength to endure her husband in his faults and to stay at his side without weakening.”
    “And finally, I gave her tears to shed whenever she needs them to be shed.”
    “You see my son, the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, nor is it in her face or in the way she does her hair.
    The beauty of a woman resides in her eyes. It is the door to her heart; the door where love resides.
    And it is often through her tears that you see her heart go by.”

1. fortz says:

the mother

she cries when you cry;
      smile when you’re happy;
      sad when you’re sad;
      waiting when you leave.
      always behind the seen but never leave the stage.

thank you mom!

19. Jasmin says:

so touching….that is why Mother’s are special people.
    They are work of art, carefully crafted by the Almighty.
    i bow in admiration to all mothers….long live all mothers!

20. jercyl hope says:

wow! im touched… i lost my biological mom when she give birth to me… & when im 25yrs old i lost again my foster mom. i love very much my two mom’s… very mr. paulo… God blesss.

21. Aparna says:

That’s my mum!

22. im so touched with this article, its amazing to be a mother, and im proud to be one…thanks mr. paulo