10 SECOND READING: the one who cared most

The writer Leo Buscaglia was once invited to be on the jury of a school competition to find ‘the child who cared most for others’.

The winner was a boy whose neighbour, a gentleman of over eighty, had just been widowed.
When he saw the old man sitting in his garden crying, the boy jumped over the fence, sat on the man’s lap and stayed there for a long time.

When he went back home, his mother asked him what he had said to the poor man.

‘Nothing,’ said the boy. ‘He’s lost his wife and that must have really hurt.

“I just went over to help him to cry.”

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. Henrii says:

I agree with Karen. Sometimes the silent ones speak the most. I feel more at ease with such people than with the chatty “news hounds” who come to get their fill of the event rather than stay supportive.

2. Tracy Carter says:

Children are powerful little givers – it is amazing how much a snub from a child can hurt – so much more amazing how a hug or a gesture of love at the perfect time from a child can heal where nothing else couldn’t!

3. krishnajali says:

How sweet, God bless these children who are more sensitive than any adult. I feel silence and gestures are good enough than many words.

4. kholoud says:

ammmmmmmazing thanks for sharing

5. James Stygles says:

Many times I don’t know how to respond to someone suffering.

Do you help them cry or do you help pick them up ?

Are you silent or do you encourage them with words, a pat on the back?

When do you listen, when do you speak?

I wish I knew.

1. Karen says:

Hi, I just came accross this page from FB and I read on with the comments. I thought of replying to your question coz i just recently experienced a tragedy in my family when we lost our first born 2 days after he was born.

In my opinion, I think people deal with suffering s and grief in different way therefore people has different way of responding.

In my own preference, you may offer kind words but the right one, if not better be silent and give a hug or pat in the back. People can still feel you care in silence. It helps to listen if they are ready to speak and share how they feel. I avoided people who just pry and ask, not because they have bad intention, but I feel like they just want to know the story, that’s it.

Better to let them grieve and not push them to move on. let them acknowledge their feelings and help them through it.

hope this helps, even a little.

regards.

6. lindita says:

kemi lindur dhe do te vdesim..jeta eshte e ndertuar keshtu….perndryshe nuk do te kishim zhvillim…dhe njeriu do te hante njerin……

7. DEEPALI KALE says:

Why then , am i blessed , with love and luxury un betold ?
    The life berore me i do not know ,
    The life after , i cannot see !
    But , in this blessedness that is bestowed ,
    I thank Thee unrestrained .

I in my respite ask myself ,
    How can i repay You ?.
    Is that repayment be weighed
    By goodness , wealth , beauty or prayer ?
    The answer comes despite myself …
    I only follow the path betold .

Feelings like the ocean run deep .
    The depth unfathomable .
    The beauty and serenity for one to explore ,
    Dive deep fearlessly .
    For the surface beckons , its ripples shimmering ,
    The quest is unending ….
    We are parched for ever .

I am the Messiah ,
    I am the Lord . I am the sole pathfinder .
    I lead myself to glory or defeat ,
    I give to myself pleasure or pain .
    My body and soul is at my mercy . Lead on ….

8. DEEPALI KALE says:

It is morning , i relish it . A brisk walk and a cup of tea ! A time to plan , a whole day ahead of me ! I am here for another day . I think of those who aren’t . Along with deep happiness i have experienced great sorrow . The sorrow of parting forever . Not abl e to share today … I have spent many days with them in the past , that which have more meaning in today . I feel at a loss sometimes , i question Today . What makes me alive and them dead ? ! I believe in destiny . I know i have to go on . I have to laugh and to cry . My sorrow is for me as i enrich my soul . Make living more intense … I relish this day , my morning cup of tea !

9. Rana says:

Really touching :)

1. ALYA says:

THE INDIVIDUALS SHOW THE DESIRES OF CARING MOSTLY EXIST WITH THOSE WHO SEEK FOR DECENT PROPOSAL. INDEED, THEY ARE MORE MATURE TO SHOW THEIR FEELING AMONG OTHERS WITH OUT DECEIVING. PURE IS THEIR MAJOR TARGET.
      THIS BOY HAS VALUE AND MORAL BEHAVIOR TO IMPLEMENT WHAT OTHER CANT DO . SOME TIME I ASK MY SELF ALOT OF QUESTION THE ANSWER REMAINS JUST ONE IS MORAL…UNFORTUNATELY THOUGH THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE INHIBITED THOSE WHO HAVE HIGH VALUE AND MORAL BEHAVIOR.THE OPPOSITE THOSE WHO COVER UP THEIR IMMORAL BEHAVIOR WITH GAINING THE POWER OF THE SOCIATY. PARTICULARLY IN kUWAIT. THE MOJRITY TRY TO COVER UP THEIR IMMORAL BEHAVIOR BY GAING THE TRUST OF THEIR FAMILY AND SOCIATY!!!!!….VALUE IS DIGNITY AND DIGNITY IS MORAL.

10. Safa Larhrissi says:

I’m touched and amazed by the two stories, the little boy’s and the little girl’s. Both had the same reaction and same impact on the people they tried to comfort. This shows that this is the real nature of the human beings; but life makes us as we grow hard or unable to listen to our hearts as I think this is what Paolo said in his book the Alchemist. I think we should listen to our hearts and act as we feel instead of blocking ourselves because we think it is “inappropriate” to talk to a stranger. This stranger is a human being who may need a shoulder to cry on, a hug to cheer up…

11. khaled says:

the best we do in our life ,,, the best we gain in our life and making us feel peace is that when we hekp others to to get throug their pains and wipe away their tears …… sometimes we are ready to pay a luife time for the one who ask us to calm down or to smile or to chear up , or even to act silly instead of crying ,,,,,

12. Clara Z says:

This story reminds me of an episode that happened years ago with my daughter.
    On a sunny day in London, my daughter and I went for a nice walk in the park, at that time she was three nearly four and still not talking.
    Suddenly we saw a young woman talking on the mobile while walking towards a group of women, she looked in distress and was crying.
    My daughter started to run towards her, she took her hands and pulled them down, as to say to stop walking, and to sit down, the woman did just that. She then sat on her laps and with her little hands, she kept caressing her face drying her tears.
    One of her friends told me that she had just received a phone call from Brazil, telling her that a member of her family had a car accident and died.
    My daughter did not leave her, until she saw a soft smile back on the lady’s lips and knew she would be ok.
    She then hugged her kissed her and, went back looking for dogs.
    For me seeing her do that was extraordinary as the only time she would go near someone,(those years),was when they had something that was of interest to her, like books, food and dogs, then for sure she would followed them.
    She is on the Autistic Spectrum, so this story, to me, is even more special.

13. kedaar says:

the image of this mother and child is too too beautiful. very real. hats off to the artist … who is the artist?
    can i have a bigger image – so that i can print it and keep it in my study?
    kedaar
    ps. will not be used for any commercial use – only for myself.

1. Mariana says:

you know that’s really truth. mostly we don’t need any words to say we simply need a shoulder to cry on……

14. Cheryl says:

I love words but sometimes they are not necessary, especially when expressing emotions; actions can speak louder and have a more profound affect.

15. Jackie noriega says:

QUE LINDA LECTURA NOS ENSE√ĎA LO FACIL QUE ES AYUDAR AL CAIDO AL NECESITADO AL TRISTE LLENAR UN VACIO PERO VIVIMOS TAN DE PRISA QUE A VECES NO NOS DAMOS CUENTA NI CON NUESTRA PROPIA FAMILIA OJALA TU EJEMPLO NO SOLO ME ABRA LOS OJOS A MI SINO TAMBIEN A TANTA GENTE QUE NO SABE DAR NADA DE SI SIN EMBARGO QUE FACIL QUE ES AYUDAR DAR AMOR NO CUESTA NADA SOLO UN POCO DE SENTIDO COMUN SOLO UN CORAZON COMPASIVO SOLO UNA MIRADA A NUESTRO REDEDOR BASTARIA. PAULO ERES GENIAL CON TUS ESCRITOS NOS HACES MAS FELICES PORQUE TODO AQUEL QUE APRENDE A DAR MAS TARDE COSECHA AMOR O POR LO MENOS SE APRENDE AMAR A SI MISMO.

16. alex,b. says:

sometimes children are wiser than mature people, and they really love people without conditions:)