Destroying and rebuilding

I am invited to go to Guncan-Gima, the site of a Zen Buddhist temple. When I get there, I am surprised to see that the extraordinarily beautiful building, which is situated in the middle of a vast forest, is right next to a huge piece of waste ground.

I ask what the waste ground is for and the man in charge explains (I can’t verify if it is true, but it must be):

‘That is where we will build the next temple.
‘Every twenty years, we destroy the temple you see before you now and rebuild it again on the site next to it.
‘This means that the monks who have trained as carpenters, stonemasons and architects are always using their practical skills and passing them on to their apprentices.
‘ It also shows them that nothing in this life is eternal and that even temples are in need of constant improvement.’

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. Susan Wortman says:

On Nov. 23, 2011, the day of your post, my husband of 20 years was hit by a car and died. I have been grieving my loss for the past 9 months, wanting to make sense out of what happened then and what I am to do with my life now. I see the message in your post as a sign to accept my need to now rebuild my temple and my life as a 57 year old woman. I do hope to do so with another intimate, loving relationship. I am beginning to walk open and trust that there is a person looking for me too. Paulo, thank you for your messages and for providing me with a way to send mine too.

2. Angela says:

The temple destroied and reconstructed every 20 years is a metaphor of rebuilding our lives. Life is impermanent.

3. Dunya Shamel says:

An elderly carpenter was ready to retire, and he told his boss of his plans to leave and live a more leisurely life with his wife. He would miss the paycheck, he could get by, but he needed to retire.

The contractor was sorry to see such a good worker go, and he asked the carpenter to build just one more house as a personal favor.

The carpenter said yes, but in time it was easy to see that his… heart was not in his work. He resorted to shoddy workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end a dedicated career.

When the carpenter finished his work, the contractor came to inspect the house. He handed the front-door key to the carpenter. “This is your house,” contractor said. “It is my gift to you.”

The carpenter was shocked! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his own house, he would have done it all so differently.

So it is with us. We build our lives, a day at a time, often putting less than our best into the building. Then with a shock we realize we have to live in the house we have built.

If we could do it over, we would do it much differently. But we cannot go back…

You are the carpenter of your life. Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Your attitudes and the choices you make today build your “house” for tomorrow…” [Author Unknown]

4. Tarun Kumar says:

It is really difficult to destroy what you have created with passion and love…the story might be conveying the philosophy of emotional detachment from even the things that you have created with love and care…Detached attachment is one of the first steps of “Nirvana”.

5. nilton jose peixoto filho says:

A VIDA E UMA ETERNA CONSTRUÇÃO E TODOS OS DIAS SE DESMANCHA E SE CONSTROI

6. Yan says:

Dearest Mr. Coelho,

Sorry to post a negative response to your story.

But as a Buddhist myself, I totally disagree with what they did. One of the most important lessons of Buddhism is to respect and cherish all life forms.

To build a temple in the middle of the forest, many trees must have been cut down. If they do it every twenty years, and each time choose a new site, and do nothing with the ruins left, how much forest will they need to destroy?

Forest is home for many animals and insects, to destroy forest is indirectly killing them. And killing is the utmost crime being considered in Buddhism.

To practice spirit and skills in Buddhism, there are many other ways! For example, observe the nature in its own way of creating, destroying and rebuilding, without interfering it with human force.

And this one described above is by no means a good example of Buddhism.

Love

Yan

7. Arto Hutto says:

“The one who fears will build walls, both real and mental. The one who loves will tear them down.”

Cheers,

Arto Hutto

PS. Will you start a Facebook page in Swedish or is it ok for me to start one now?

1. Arto Hutto says:

Obrigado!

Best regards,

Arto Hutto

2. Arto Hutto says:

Dear Paulo,

I managed to activate “Paulo Coelho på svenska” and it means “Paulo Coelho in Swedish”.

My aim is to update and keep your original posts and also translate them into Swedish for anyone to comment or suggest better translation.

What do you think?

Best regards,
      Arto Hutto

3. Arto Hutto says:

Hi again,

http://www.facebook.com/PauloCoelhoSverige is up and running.

Let me know any ideas or suggestions.

Best regards,

Arto

8. Rishav says:

The world is so big…. Why to destroy something and build a new….
    Better build something for the not-so-previliged….
    Waste of efforts and wealth….

My thought… could be there is a better explanation to this…

9. Well says:

I think they do not destroy. They liberate. And they begin anew.

10. shuchi says:

Hi! Just finished reading ‘Brida’. It was fantastic from the beginning. I could relate to it so much. The disappointment in love, the eternal search for the soulmate, the inability to follow a particular path for the fear of failure, doubting the very act of doubting…
    I dont know why i am feeling a sense of incompleteness after reading the ending. I feel a little disappointed at the end. i feel what startedfabulous eneded abruptly

11. margherita says:

COSTRUZIONE – DISTRUZIONE – RICREAZIONE: tre tappe necessarie perchè i monaci con le varie specializzazioni si possano tenere in allenamento costante e possano edificare templi sempre migliori.
    DOMANDA: LO STESSO PRINCIPIO POTREBBE VALERE ANCHE PER GLI SCRITTORI?
    Anche gli scrittori scrivono libri nuovi seguendo lo stesso principio oppure, quando rileggono le loro opere cercano in qualche modo di cristallizzarle valutandole opere massime?
    Come si pone PAULO COELHO-scrittore nei confronti dei suoi libri scritti, pubblicati e dati alla storia della letteratura?
    Mi piacerebbe tanto conoscere l’atteggiamento che tu, amico scrittore, tieni verso le tue creature letterarie.
    Ti posso dire come io, scrittrice esordiente ed impubblicata, mi pongo verso i miei romanzi: ogni volta che li rileggo, a distanza di molti mesi, sono pervasa dal dubbio, sono preda di un’autocritica spesso anche feroce.
    Per questo continuerò a scrivere, sperando che i miei piccoli templi migliorino, che i miei doni non vengano sprecati, e che un giorno anch’io possa essere felice e soddisfatta di aver combattuto il mio -buon combattimento-, come sei tu.
    Peccato che io non possa chiedere il parere ai miei lettori, o al mio editore, ma sarei curiosa se tu potessi rispondermi sull’argomento.
    Anche tu sei critico? Anche tu riscriveresti le tue opere (oppure scrivi altri romanzi (altri templi letterari) per tenere allenati i tuoi doni, per costruire altri allestimenti di parole, sentimenti, musica che possano essere sempre più apprezzati dai tuoi estimatori?
    Domandare è lecito, rispondere è cortesia.
    Grazie per il non silenzio.

12. Anagha says:

Hi Paulo,
    Once again a great thought…..:)
    few months back I learned how to do Vipassana (which means to see things as they really are) Which was taught by Gautam Buddha as a universal remedy for universal ills, i.e., an Art Of Living.
    I think this what exactly meant by destroying the temple…..

13. L says:

Thank you Paolo! Your work is magnificent art that is always truly and unfailingly inspiring!
    Ir is truly amazing how we keep experiencing those shut-downs of our own strengths and wisdoms, usually when we feel the strongest !?
    L

14. Puisi says:

Amazing For Destroying and rebuilding….
    Congrutulation….

15. Yilmaz says:

I can’t help but think of the current monetary system and its underlying capitalistic philosophy. It WAS good and maybe necessary in th 19th and 20th century, we got good technology from it, but now it’s just time to move on and get back to our human roots: “Love”.

Love and Peace.

16. Empié says:

Me gusta eso de que “es un gran placer hacer aquello que ellos dicen que no podemos”, unos critican, otros trabajan, espero el día de la cosecha, si es que se produce (seguro que sí), entonces el placer será al decir: no, no y no. Entre tanto disfruto trabajando por mi sueño en silencio, sus criticas no me detendrán, que al fin y al cabo es lo que buscan.

Hoy he ardido un poco por la mañana, por la tarde he reido, y tengo la impresión de que las cosas un día no muy lejano cambiaran.

Aunque me impaciente a veces, me doy cuenta de que sano y de que regreso, gracias por estar ahí, por cierto, no solo me acuerdo de los que me han hecho daño, de esos casi no me acuerdo, si todo esto sale bien, tu serás la primera en redcibir lo que en parte es tuyo, mi amiga del alma.

Aunque no es del todo recomendable que nos veamos, siempre te querré, y ahora a descansar que la risa tiene que abrirse paso… buenas noches…

17. Olta Canka says:

Probably you don’t even remember Paulo, but I got your autograph on the Fifth Mountain. I always keep in mind what you wrote me there.
    I enjoyed the book but I wanted to bring with me one of my favorites, the Alchemist, and I couldn’t.
    So I had that as a sign, something to accomplish until a big cycle of my life is closed and there will start the new one together with me and my mission here…

There is a part in the story which has always got my attention. Elia is asked to build an entire city starting from “0″ before he destroys another one.
    I always wondered why you decided to write about this in your book, but then I thought of the great value of knowing how hard is to build something before we decide to destroy it and that maybe you wanted to emphasize that…

Since very little I was taught to not destroy things and to take good care of my stuff. I was taught that doing otherwise it was a very bad thing, just like doing that for one’s own pleasure and nothing more. So I’d take care of anything I had, so good care that even things that wouldn’t matter would last for much longer than they need to. Whenever something brakes into my hands it leaves in me an unexplainable deep feeling of guilt and fear. There comes the idea that someone is going to be hurt because of that, and the fear that a punishment will occur after that…
    Unfortunately or not that happens even in my relationships, friends, family, etc. With whomever I decide to brake up from it costs me but when I do it, I’d do it as a child that closes his eyes and gives a quick hit to what s/he intends to brake and get over that.
    Today I was in a situation where I got angry at myself exactly because of this. Because of this attitude of mine I have gathered around myself stuff and people I don’t want, I don’t even care about… I have it so hard to let my inner fire burn and purify everything so I can create. Need to erase the clouds in front of me…
    Same way as I need to get rid of the fear that the things that I love the most are going to be destroyed, being lost…
    Now I know why of that precise book, the why of that part of it that got my attention, but it is just that I need to learn how to do the thing I fear the most. I have to do the contrary of what Elia did. It’s about time! IT IS TIME!

The story might even not be true, but it was important to me or others somehow…

Love and Hugs
    Olta

18. Breda says:

Oh How weighted down I feel by belongings now ..better be free and fly..soar….
    Love
    Breda

19. Maria says:

Que bonito mensaje.. gracias por siempre dejar algo para reflexionar

20. Heimo Kruschinski says:

A beautiful story. Tarek is of course right in some way. I doubt however that the monks throw their old temple on the garbage. They will sure to reuse a large part. I think it is about trust and love. It takes a lot of courage to give the next generation such a responsibility. And the new generation will not build the temple again identical. There will be changes, perhaps only small, but improvements. They will make every effort to prove worthy of the honor, and to prove their skill. Thus all is served, the teachers are satisfied, the student proud, and the temple better than before. An interesting challenge for all. And of course, nothing is forever.

I wish you all a wonderful evening

1. Гюля says:

Дорогой Пауло Коэльо! Большое спасибо за ваши произведения! Ваши книги трогают каждого,кто открывает ее и с таким же наслаждением прочитывают да конца. Мистер Коэльо, прочитав ваши произведения каждый находит свой ПУТЬ в этом мире и это прекрасно,если этот путь такой же благородный как ваш. Спасибо вам за каждую строчку,которая может изменить секунду,минуту,час или всю оставшуюся жизнь.. Спасибо!!!

21. join says:

Happy birthday, dear Christina!!! Blessings to you both, Christina and Paulo Coelho!

22. jno manh says:

I too liked the message very much.

23. barbara says:

First of all happy birthday to your wife Mr.Coehlo!

I see this story as rebuilding ourselves, destroying what we don’t like, building new us, and letting people see that it can be done, and sharing it with others. It doesn’t necesserily have to be every 20 years;)

Have a wonderful day, blessings to you and your beautiful wife!
    With love
    Barbara

24. heart says:

I believe in the Build-Destroy-Rebuild principle. My proof is how children play to learn a task. Take one example; Sand castles.

If someone other than themselves accidently ruin the sand castle, the child cries bitter tears. If however the child is ready to crash it, they stomp happily on the pile of sand, and often start to rebuild a new one.-

25. eleonora says:

la prima volta che ho letto questa storia,ne sono rimasta affascinata,per la genialita’ apparentemente assurda o inutile al tempo d’oggi,di voler perpetuare delle grandi opere compiute dall’uomo,che via via si stanno perdendo.Anche se il testo di per se’ non rispecchia il vero,di fondo mi piace il messaggio che trasmette.Per la realizzazioni di grandi opere e non, si ha bisogno della bravura di tante persone, che negli anni sono riuscite a trasmettere il proprio operato principalmente con la pratica.Al giorno d’oggi molte competenze si stanno perdendo l’,ambiente di fatto viene deturpato ,perche’ non viene rispettata l’armonia richiesta in ogni cosa che vien fatta.

26. Empié says:

Hoy hace un poco de calor, pero poco comparado con un tiempo atrás, se nota porque necesito hablar más de lo normal, que no es mucho.

Un saludo, siempre que llega un estancamiento la situación cambia al poco tiempo, pero la verdad es que estoy casado de la misma vida que me ha acompañado estos últimos años, estudio, ensayo, entreno, trabajo cuando me dejan, vivo con poco, agobiado por mi situación, tanto interna como externa, y trabajando cada día en soledad para ver si el trabajo me transforma, la verdad es que avanzo, pero creo que estoy cerca de terminar un ciclo, ya no demasiado aliciente en esta situación, aunque la verdad es que vuelvo a reir y a disfrutar de la vida, hacía mucho que no estaba en el mundo y tengo ganas de volver a mi vida de antes de todo, era muy bonita aunque quizá no la valorara como se merecía. Supongo que volveré, al menos tengo esa esperanza, volveré a la comarca, a la vida de siempre, un trabajo decente, mis amigos, mi familia, las risas, los bares, la naturaleza, los buenos momentos, y quizá con un poco de suerte haya alguien esperandome, eso si que sería un final feliz, por cierto, creo que hay un tesoro por ahí que me pertenece… seguiré trabajando… Gracias por estár ahí….

27. Tarek says:

I don’t know if this is a true story or not? Though I am not an economist or a financial expert but I cannot stop thinking of how much waste and environmental damage there is in such a practice! Or is it the destiny of humanity to always project there inner needs into the outer world? As I understand it, this story it is a synonym to our need to always bring down our old egos and perception of ourselves and the world in order to keep expanding our consciousness.

1. Brave Soul says:

Or just simply this is our way to deal with uncertainty and change of hearts. I yet to met one person has no contradictions in his personality. Our prespective changes as we change positions and all of us want to have the best view. Logically it is impossible that all of us will have the perfect view but this never stop us from our endless trails.

Peace.

2. Yilmaz says:

Good question you are rising there Tarek. I am not a nature biologist but I would assume that the material a temple is made of, if being torn down properly and “given back to earth” will “recycle” in the process of nature. I’m just not sure if 20 years will be enough. :-/

At least the temple has a function and gets used on a daily basis. What makes me more sad are the hundertthousands of buildings that stand empty in Germany and probably all around the world because people don’t have the money to buy them or they were built just like that to boost the economy.

Love and Peace.

28. Empié says:

Felicidades Cristina¡¡¡¡, pasadlo muuuu bien¡¡¡¡¡

Supongo que tiene que ver con el mito del diluvio, y todos los mitos de todos los que han destruido su templo para volver a construirlo.

Un saludo, y pasadlo mmuuu, muuu bien, bye….

Por cierto, a mi falta el techo, pero despues de casi 18 años, digamos que… falta un poquito menos, lo que pasa es que necesito un fin de semana en la playa, pero vamos, si hay que currar se curra, cuanto antes acabe antes salgo,
    Un saludo.. ah, se me olvidaba, pasadlo muuuuu, muuu bien¡¡¡¡¡¡, bye bye….

29. Jessica says:

That was a good methaphor indeed ….. me like <3

30. Marie-Christine Grimard says:

Cher Paulo,
    la symbolique de cette histoire prend tout son sens, alors que notre vie terrestre se prolonge de plus en plus longtemps. Savoir se remettre en question, abandonner ce que l’on a engrangé et se reconstruire pour aller plus loin, renaître de ses cendres et bâtir de nouveau la suite de l’histoire. Que d’énergie à dépenser mais aussi à partager avec les autres ouvriers qui nous accompagnent et nous aident à embellir notre temple. Si ce monument est dédié à abriter l’Amour, il y fera toujours chaud. Dans notre monde, rien est éternel, sauf l’Amour.
    Que la journée vous soit douce.
    M Christine G

31. Olta Canka says:

And once again! You pop out with a message.
    I woke up with new thoughts today that lead me to the point where I always get blocked and just a few moments after realizing my great fear of anger and the destruction that it brings I see your Blog and I read this.

There are so many things I want to build in this life, but the idea of destroying anything or see something being destroyed paralyzes me, it makes me sad and I just can’t accept it.
    It is not just the fact of seeing it as a wrong thing, but the feeling is fear. Fear of what? Why?? That I have to found out now.
    It is easy to say now that you know go on and let yourself be free, but I know that most of all, a soul isn’t acting, being free, because of things we forget to see, to listen and at the end to FORGIVE.
    Only then can we let LOVE and creation flow freely.

Love
    Olta

32. danushka says:

i like this article.thank for it.

The above story reminds me of the myth of the Pheonix! It represents to me the power of the mind to Create and re-Create, eternally… , everytime using our up-to-the-minute experiences and WISDOM! Thus we may reach the ..top of the Ladder and see the Truth, Light and Love! Never be sad for something that has come to an end! Every ending is a new … beginning ..

LOVE,
    Thelma xxx

34. Empié says:

Buenos días.

Me he despertado pensando en la crisis económica, creo que desde capitalismo y comunismo son dos modelos opuestos de organizar la economía, el comunismo no funciono porque la gente no produce si no tiene beneficio, el capitalismo tiende al colapso, porque los que tienen más tienden a tener más y dejan sin recursos al resto con lo que no pueden consumir lo suficiente y “el motor se para”, ya que es el consumo lo que hace que haya actividad económica. Aquí creo que es lo que ha pasado, la gente no tiene dienero para consumir porque basicamente lo emplean en pagar su hipoteca, la vivienda se encareció en exceso y ahora la gente no puede consumir, el dinero de las hipotecas está inmovilizado en los bancos porque tienen miedo de no recuperar lo prestado, y los promotores quizá lo inviertan en vivienda en otro sitio donde el mercado no esté saturado, con lo que aquí no repercute el beneficio, o consuman bienes escason de gran valor pero que generan poco empleo, tampoco existe posibilidad de emplearlo en otro mercado aquí en mi pais porque la gente no tienen dinero para consumir. Quizá esto se hubiera evitado si se hubiesen dejado a un lado las ideologías que impiden pensar con objetividad, y se hubiera regulado en parte, no totalmente porque ya hemos visto lo que pasa con la regulación pura, el mercado, al menos de los bienes que son imprescidibles y por lo tanto se van a consumir por obligación, y que tienen un precio que puede llegar a ser lo suficientemente alto para consumir todos los recursos de la persona que los desea, ya que entonces no podrá consumir otros bienes que generan empleo en mayor medida y de una manera más regular. Para poder regular el mercado, al menos en lo necesario para que no se colapse, hay que tener una visión de conjunto, y desde arriba, instaurar normas para que funcione bien. Al tener visiones particulares y no de conjunto, cada uno mira por su interes, y el que se adelante se hará con los recursos del resto, esto puede paralizar la economía, ya que la gente no consume, incluso los que más tienen, si invierten y no pueden vender, deberán dinero, a veces no lo podrán pagar, y los prestamistas perderán dinero, cerrando sus lineas de crédito y asfixiando más y más la economía, lo que realimentará el colapso. Hay un libro que describe este hecho muy bien, se llama, como no, “Colapaso”, no recuerdo el nombre del autor, pero es un best seller; en la isla de Pascua paso algo similar, aunque el caso es mucho más extremo, cada clan competía por tener más y más cosas, sin nadie que desde arriba dijese lo que se podía o no hacer, imponiendo tabues, los recursos se agotarían, fue lo que pasó, aunque creo que no es comparable, pero sí se pueden sacar conclusiones muy valiosas. En cualquier caso, la regulacion o liberización del mercado son herramientas para garantizar su funcionamiento, no ideas en las que uno se atrinchera, eso forma parte de los instintos y para formar grupos cohesionados las ideas están bien, pero cuando hay que pensar, nos impiden ver los beneficios de la manera de actuar de la otra mitad, es bueno de vez en cuando observar nuestro comoportamiento, a los “otros” los pasa lo mismo que a los nuestros.

Un saludo, la verdad es que no se si esto servira, pero bueno, hoy me he lenvantado con esto en la cabeza y no quería dejarlo pasar, hasta pronto.

Por cierto, supongo que sin consumo todo lo demás se viene abajo, no se si servira de utilidad, pero supongo que hay mercados que generan más empleo y de manera más regular, pero bueno, ahí me pierdo… Un saludo.

35. Gonzalo says:

¡¡¡¡¡Que genialidad!!!!!!!!!!!

Dejando de lado los datos reales o no, de esta bella anécdota, el mensaje es bellísimo.

Siempre se aprende del templo anterior, luego se debe destruir después de que cumpla su etapa y hacer el nuevo con mejoras, estas se transmiten al nuevo, el aprendizaje de lo mejor del templo anterior, superando los errores anteriores y siempre con la intención de tenderle la mano al prójimo en lo que una pueda. Esta hermosa narración me hace pensar, que en realidad, esta es, nuestra función en la vida con el templo que cada uno eligió y cada uno de ellos son diferentes etapas por las que atravesamos todos, tarde o temprano.
    Lo mismo pasa con la naturaleza, los animales, el clima, la historia del hombre, la tierra misma y hasta el universo. Ciclos………..
    Debo aprender a saber desprenderme de lo anterior, asi es como se crece, generando nuevos cambios.
    Abrazo
    Gonzalo

36. Linda Kastanja says:

Thank you Paulo for letting us see what you see, feel what you feel, think about the things you think about and while reading almost experiencing what you’ve experienced. This sharing of you is a beautiful mirror too.

37. Life is short. Kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    - Paulo Coelho

I wonder if there was also a garden?
    This connects beautifully with Love is all there is.

What comes from the heart, touches the heart.

Thankyou, Love,
    Jane

38. kealan says:

Kind of like a Fire Sale, everything has to go.

39. marie-christine says:

My body is my temple. I understand the need of constant improvement and the appreciation deriving from it.

40. Hiro Funahashi says:

Hello Paulo,

Although I understand that the details may not be significant to the readers where the gist of “Destroying and Rebuilding” is that handing down the technology is best carried out when set as the routine work (if not put incorrectly), I, as one of the keen readers of your books in Japan, cannot help noticing that there is no such a Zen Buddhist temple in Guncan-jima that is to be destroyed and rebuilt in every twenty years. Rather, what conjures in my mind upon reading this story is the “shiki-nen sen-gu” tradition – the periodical tearing-down and rebuilding of the main shrine building of the Ise Grand Shrine located in Ise, Mie Prefecture, Japan that has been held every score years since 690 AD. Guncan-jima, a Japanese word for “battleship island”, on the other hand, can be located in several places in Japan, the most well-known one amongst them will be an uninhabited small island off the coast of Nagasaki once developed as the coal mining facility and now left with abandoned houses and buildings and, perhaps, hundreds of stray cats that ex-habitats had left behind.
    Your plot behind choosing the name of this entry-restricted, barren island in place of the center of the two-thousand-year-old Shinto tradition lies only in the hands of the writer and may be beyond my imagination; however, considering the scale of the influence that you have over the readers around the globe, I just couldn’t bear the fact that a part of our tradition is being transferred to them in not an entirely correct manner.

1. Paulo Coelho says:

thank you very much for your correction. It was my publisher who told me this story, and it is better to leave the story here with your correction.

2. Hiro Funahashi says:

Thank you.

i understand that I think it is a good idea

42. R88 says:

I too liked the message very much.

The only constant is change.

43. Brandon Timothy Mark Sweat says:

Sad to think that they truly feel nothing in life is eternal. Makes me praise the lord that I am not a Zen Buddhist. Life would seem so empty without all the eternal realities I expierence around me. I guess that is their goal though is to expierence nothingness. What a sad state of existence, and to think they want to expierence that forever. I guess man can truly make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell. Milton was right.

B.B. Silver Mystic Light

1. katie says:

don’t worry, brandon, impermanence is not the only teaching in buddhism :o).
      working with it …. I can assure you …. does not put oneself in hell .
      it can be a beautiful tool to
      - recognize how suffering develops
      - work on attachments of the ego
      - recognize life as a flow instead of something stagnant.

buddhism has (1) teachings, (2) practices, (3) rituals, and (4) meditation. they all can help to get a broader understanding of oneself & the universe.

44. Yajna says:

Dearest Paulo and friends,

Destruction breeds creation. This story perfectly expresses this. It is a lovely story. There is a time and place for everything. There is a time to be born, and there is a time to die. Similarly, there is a time for a young zen student to do his share, in doing so he is able to put his skills to use, and he is able to build confidence and pride in himself and his work after the temple is complete. The old master now becomes the teacher and guide to his students as they build. Even though the master is sad his work is destroyed he is reminded that nothing material is immortal, nothing material is that important, but the lessons he learnt building (creating) it will reside in him forever, and he is now given the opportunity to pass it on.

Yajna

aditya,

its never easy to let go of work that you’ve put you’re sweat and blood into. After you’ve created something amazing, you are amazed that you actually had it inside of you to create something so beautiful. But i’ve always felt that the personal growth inside of you is enough, after all materialism will only cause you to digress. I think we have to lead those sculptures into the ocean to remind us that its not really real. What is real is the change it brought about in you. And you and you alone will always know what you created, and just how great you are.

lots of love
    Yajna

45. aditya says:

personally I find it very difficult to ‘destroy’ whatever i have invested my sentiments in; but I guess that is a lesson I need to learn. In India we have many festivals, where idols of our Gods are created with much labour and love, but at the end of the festivals which last for anything form 1 to 10 days, those idols are immersed in water. Those immesrsion processions, off and on I have been part of a few, have always been painful moments moments for me. these emotions which make us human, make us cry a lot also !!

46. Alex says:

Yo siento que la vida muchas veces se manifiesta en diferentes ocasiones y momentos, que como no estamos preparados para el cambio muchas veces no nos damos cuenta de lo especial que pueden ser nuestros momentos, muchas veces tenemos que tener coraje con nosotros mismos para poder darnos esa oportunidad de ver todo lo sagrado con lo cotidiano. Gandhi decia “Las peores luchas se viven en los corazones de cada quien”. Tratemos de tener coraje, no pierdes nada por no tenerlo al contrario pierdes todo si no vives.
    Saludos Paulo. Que dios los siga Bendiciendo.

47. Alex says:

Yo siento que es una de las formas mas bellas que Dios hizo, para comprender lo divino. Hay veces que las personas no lo notan, desgraciadamente creen que es por momentos cuando de ello pueden disfrutar dejando pasar de largo todos los instantes que nos rodean. El cambio, todo un reto para muchos de nesotros en diferentes ocasiones, porque como dijo Gandhi “las peores luchas se llevan a cabo en nuestro corazon”. Apreciar el cambio, ser un expectador y dejarse llevar por el para poder vivirlo y asi mejorarnos cada dia un paso mas como le digo yo a mi madre.
    Saludos Paulo Que Dios los siga Bendiciendo.

48. Naghmeh says:

Dear Paulo,
    I really enjoyed today’s message. Some people stick to some objects and they forget that they are their properties. They swap the roles, they let to the objects be their owner. Challenges and changes make us mature and help us growing up faster but unfortunately some people prefer to spend the time without any movement and sticking to the old memorials.

49. Meire says:

Paulo, last Sunday i was surfing in the “net” and reading about Batimat 2007 that had in Paris last week. It’s the most important construction event in the world.When i saw the buildings of the future in Dubai,i told to myself:fantastic!!! They can you feel like inside dreams… Another thing: you’re singing with your friends, very good and interesting!!