School creativity

by Sir Ken Robinson

Comments

1. Mo Thurman says:

We run into this problem on a daily basis. As an educator, it is so hard convincing parents, and other educators, that things must be radically changed in order to move forward.

Love, free thought, respect & creativity are as important as math! Please read our story http://igg.me/p/55754

1. Stefan Harpagon Raskenstam Dumblad says:

I agree

2. Anon says:

I became disillusioned at 17 and felt betrayed by my teachers. I was learning about the real world and no one was there to teach me! I now believe that school is more about the social lesson, learning to cooperate with other people than about the subjects taught. Outside of school ‘who you know is always more helpful than what you know’. That is just one example.

3. Arto Hutto says:

Found this and it seems great: http://www.khanacademy.org/about

A free world-class education for anyone anywhere.

The Khan Academy is an organization on a mission. We’re a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere.

All of the site’s resources are available to anyone. It doesn’t matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology. The Khan Academy’s materials and resources are available to you completely free of charge.

4. jackienoriega says:

la verdad està enfocado de una manera tan llena de complejidad para los jovenes a mas de tantos aparatos electronicos que hoy en dìa usan queda muy poco tiempo para la realidad de la vida los sentimientos, los buenos modales y el deseo de forjarse una meta serà la razon por la que hoy en dìa la juventud està fuera de la realidad han olvidado el respeto a los mayores y mas que nada son insensibles a las cosas cotidianas y familiares que existen que es lo que en realidad debemos como padre enseñarles para que lleguen a ser personas de bien

5. Elsa says:

El agradecimiento es el reconocimiento de una buena acción aque se realiza por el deseo de servir a las personas que la necesitan. Muchas gracias por estos valiosos pensamientos que es de mucho valor.

6. Keith says:

Brilliant!

There is something wrong when pre-school children are naturally inquisitive and come out of school dullards, incapable of interacting with the world around them, often incapable of forming a sentence and certainly not capable of engaging in an intelligent conversation or having anything interesting to say.

7. Jane Stewart (Dances With Crayons) says:

I was thinking about this since you posted Paulo.

The wonderful thing is that children can learn from everyone and everything, inside and outside of school.
    I really loved going to school during primary grades. The teachers were smiley people, it felt like they were happy to be there. And showed us how to do a lot of fun things; like using paints, how to read books, weaving, printing. There was always something to look forward to: for instance; field trips, waiting until 3rd grade to learn handwriting and how to use a pen. Music was important too – we had access to tambourines, flutes, jinglebells and such things. Sometimes all of the students would gather in the hallway to sing together. It was fun!
    Also loved running in the prairie and it was never boring.

Still love music, poetry, paintings, drawings, walks in the rain, the scent and sounds of nature, etc. Cannot even put into words how grateful.

I love this Blog, the stories and comments, the Friends. I love the community spirit!

So although I cannot comment on how the children feel about going to school here where I’m now living, decided to share this little story.

And still learning, unlearning. In wonder. A couple of years ago, learned something from watching ants!

So today I want to thank the wonderful school teachers from primary years, life and living today., and send love to all of the kind, patient people in my life.

Love to All,
    Jane xo

8. nicoletta says:

paulo, words cannot describe the feelings you touch within me with your words. it began for me after the first time I read the alchemist. it is funny to think (and I’m thankful) that because I facebook I have access to your words of wisdom that I so often feel like are directed towards me. your words are so relevant to me that I often feel like you are speaking to me! and I have felt like that more than once.. I agree with with so much of what you say, and this post with Sir Ken (whom I so admire) is just another example. everything you say/post confirms that you and I are on the same wave length.. please keep doing what you do, it is SO appreciated. one love!!

9. Lamia Awn says:

the creativity is shown in the way the idea was presented and the great work of the presentation ,,, great speech , and fabulous way to deliver such speech …..

10. Sezzie says:

This is just excellent! It should be broadcast everywhere – we need to wake up to reality.

11. bhumi says:

when i read him ..!! i feel living one more time with more than 100 %..!!1 truly awsm ,,thank u ,,!!

12. leonela says:

gracias por pensar y hacernos refeccionar en este tiempo que ya hemos olvidado lo que son los valores en el transcurso del tiempo se han perdido y nos preocupamos por lo material dejando alado lo mejor que es la humildad y respeto por algo superficial gracias me gusta todo lo que escribes eres especial

13. sallya says:

After I graduated from school .I miss the life in school. It is the best time in all life.