To my Russian friends

Normally it is the publishing house that decides on the cover of a book.
But on this occasion, they decided to send it to my agent, as the two ideas are totally opposite.
Could my Russian friends help us (the publishing house, the agent and myself) to choose? please post your opinions in “Comments” below
ALEPH will be released in Russia late March 2012

Comments

1. Vlad Mihel says:

1)))

2. :) says:

I love the Classic 2

3. Dmitriy says:

first one!
    it is so real

4. Лариса says:

I choose the first covering.-2 cover with florets doesn’t correspond to gravity of the book

5. Artur says:

Anyone cover, actually this is not matter. Paulo Coelho, i respect you very much, thank you for all what you do, your books help me find something sacred inside me & dig out it, is path of magic & Love.

6. Aarti Kalro says:

i like the second one. ive read aleph and the cover here in india was different, but i don’t like the first one because it gives one a fixed image of what hilal looks like.. the second one is more colourful and leaves a lot to the imagination.

7. Marina says:

I think the 1st cover is fantastic. And it is in the same style as all the other Paulo Coelho books, that are published in Russian. I have read them all both in Russian and in English. I’m very happy that I got the chance to read the Aleph alredy (I live in UK), when it comes to Paulo Coelho’s books I’m very very very impatient!!!
    Thank you so much, Paulo. You changed my life!
    Forever your fan :-)

8. Nadia says:

I like the cover on the right! It is colourful, creative, has much more “soul” in it (just like your books) and definitely some Russian folkloric elements. The cover on the left is the average, commercial style cover used for sleazy romantic novels.

Plus you definitely do not need to have a pretty woman on the cover to sell your books! ;)

With lots of love and respect!

9. Lubov says:

I like 1st one. It’s more classic with a beautiful woman on it.
    The 2nd one is very nice too, but looks more like it’s a fary-tale.

10. Anastasia says:

I personally like the second book cover. It reminds me of old Russian folk stories my grandfather used to read to me. And after all aren’t we trying to reach out to our inner child in one way or another :)

11. Konstantin says:

I think the 1st one – i love the image of the mountains with the clouds looks more enticing, in my opinion.
    From Odessa, Ukraine originally. I started reading your books as a child, and still continue to now, now I’m 21! Truly inspiring, and makes me think about things in a different light. Thank you!

12. lida kabbara says:

Julija !! that’s what I said too! ya polou Ukrainka, I toje iz Kharkova, privet zimlachka! :) the 2nd one, the colorful is closer to Russian/Ukrainian people, closer to their lullabies and culture :)

13. Mat says:

The first (left) one looks more “westernized” or “opera-like”. The second (right) one looks “village-like” or “kindergarden-like”. I’d print both and then you reach two different groups of readers.
    Personally, I wouldn’t buy the book if it had the second (right) cover, but there are very many people who would. I’m from Poland.

14. Julija says:

Первая – это стиль Ваших книг, а вторая – красочная,сразу привлекает к себе внимание, действительно больше по стилистике подходит для украинских и русских читателей.
    Я бы выбрала 2.
    Поклонница из Харькова ( Украина )

15. Veronika says:

The 1st one! It makes you think of deeper things.

16. Lena says:

I like the second one! It’s more Ukranian even :)

17. Роман says:

обе обложки замечательные!

18. Anděla says:

The first one is much better, it is really nice!

19. Elina says:

I prefer the first, but the second one is beautiful too.
    Your fan from Finland :)

20. Michelle says:

Boa noite Paulo,
    Acabei de terminar de ler o Aleph e vim conhecer seu blog!
    Prefiro a segunda capa.. Para que Hilal possa sair da imaginação do leitor..
    Abraços,

21. Luiza says:

Dear Paulo Coelho,

I personally believe that 1st cover would be the best for the book. My decision is based on the collection of your books I already have, most of them have the same Format as the first one, consequently I believe that this format in my view represents you, precisely your books.

The first cover “screams” your name, whereas the second one is like saying: “it’s new me” I guess it’s all about what effect you, my dear writer, want to get :). Either it’s gonna be the “traditional” for russian speaking countries you, or the “new” you. Finally, it’s not the cover we are interested in :)!!!

Best wishes
    your fan from Kazakhstan :)
    xoxo

1. desiree says:

i agree to her comment :)

22. Jennifer says:

Hi, I am not Russian, but I prefer the first one. Love the book, greetings from Honduras!

23. Luda says:

I like the bottom one!

24. Meerim says:

Like the first one.

25. Вера says:

Я читала многие книги этого замечательного писателя. Когда у меня в жизни случилась трагедия и мне не хотелось жить, мне один мой друг подарил книгу Пауло Коэльо “Алхимик”. После её прочтения (а прочла я её на одном дыхании, за 2 дня) я поняла, что мне стоит жить, что я ещё не сделала самого главного в этой жизни. P.S. Пауло Коэльо – мудрейший человек современности.

26. Tatyana Petrovicheva says:

The second one.

27. Ana Claudia says:

Querido Paulo, as duas capas são belíssimas!!
    Eu ficaria com a capa da fotografia da ruiva com o violino.
    Um Abraço do tamanho de São Paulo pra você.

28. I like the one on the right, red, painted. It entices the reader in me.

29. Masud Rana says:

I just read the Alchemist and by this book i knew about your name first time. You showed me the light to think about life in a different way. I m very much greatful to you. I m from Bangladesh.

From my opinion the 2nd one will be best bcoz i can see lot of things in 2nd pic but which r not found in 1st one.

30. Ender says:

I like the second one better. I am from Czech Republic, though, and the design they use for Your books here is … worse ^_^

1. isha says:

I am from Slovakia, and prefer the 2nd one much better, as many Slavic people here.
      Ender, I love the czech cover!, much better than the slovak one.

31. Lina says:

The first one; it’s exquisite.

32. Irina from Moscow says:

I like the 2nd cover a lot!

33. Krys Cal says:

La primera tiene una seriedad y una profundidad mas característica del autor mientras que la segunda se ve mas apta para una novela de ‘historical fiction’ asi que todo depende de lo que se quiera lograr con el libro.

34. Andrey says:

First one is muh better!!!

35. Tatjana says:

I love the first one… in my opinion it suits your books more…. or… I really don’t know how to explain it but for me first one tells me that the book is by Coelho…

36. Mikhail says:

I really don’t like the way your name is written on the first one (doesn’t fit the rest of the page in both design and size). If the first one is changed a bit it has potential, but the second one looks quite nice too. I haven’t read the book so I cannot really make a judgement based on relevance of the topic

37. A Prasad says:

I have read most of your books, but they were all borrowed or pirated. ALEPH was the first book of yours which I purchased and I loved it. I think the first cover is better keeping in mind the story and the mysticism involved. The mist covered hills in the background hide more than they reveal and the expression on the face is that of a person in who is trying to say something through her music. There is peace and pain in equal amount in her expression.
    The second one is jarring and if your writing reflects your personal taste, I am sure even you like the first one.
    with regards
    AP

38. Zhyldyz says:

Personaly, I would go with the second one. Your fan from Kyrgyzstan.

39. Marianna says:

I’m Russian, living in Holland. Personally, I like the second one better, though they are both very beautiful!

40. Sebastian says:

I am not Russian, but I preffer the first one, a lot!!!

41. Sonia says:

Am reading this novel these days and i can’t explain my feelings in words. Am loving it ! Its full of meaning. I am from Pakistan.

42. I’d choose the first rather than the second-but only by comparison since the choice is limited to these two. The second is too childish, more suitable for a children’s book-I would not give it a second look despite all my respect and admiration for the authour-have read them all (his books). Not sure what I dont like about the first, may be its a bit on a bland side. I dont like the painting at all-sorry.

43. dhans says:

The First looks might be subtle for the Concept that you have discussed in the book….
    Still somehow my heart likes the second one which is colorful….
    ..your call….

Regards
    DS

44. Rosa says:

Las dos portadas son bonitas….. La primera marca más el estilo de Coelho, es la que al ir a la alibrería a comprarlo visualizas en seguida a su autor…. La segunda rompe todos los esquemas…. Todo dependerá de lo que ustedes quieran transmitir en Rúsia y a sus lectores… Grácias

45. David Kurkov says:

They’re both not good. But from reading Aleph in English – id go with the second one (cartoon). From my experience Russian people pick up things that look like the second one more readily if it’s fiction.

46. Rosa says:

Son muy bonitas y totalmente distintas las dos….
    Personalmente me gusta más la primera pues va más acorde con el estilo de Coelho, sólo con ver la portada ya reconoces de qué autor és y vas directo al libro… La segunda rompe todos los esquemas… Todo dependerá de lo que deseéis transmitir.
    Un fuerte abrazo

47. Almudena says:

No soy rusa, pero aporto mi pequeño granito de arena. Como lectora habitual de tus libros, creo que la primera imagen se identifica mejor tanto con tus libros, como con Aleph.
    Un saludo y gracias por interactuar con tus lectores
    Desde España