10 SEC READ: Blessing the tree/ Abençoando a árvore (Jewish tradition)

A man was travelling through the desert, hungry, thirsty, and tired, when he came upon a tree bearing luscious fruit and affording plenty of shade, underneath which ran a spring of water. He ate of the fruit, drank of the water, and rested beneath the shade.

When he was about to leave he turned to the tree and said:
‘Tree, oh, tree, with what should I bless you?

“Should I bless you that your fruit be sweet? Your fruit is already sweet.

“Should I bless you that your shade be plentiful? Your shade is plentiful. That a spring of water should run beneath you? A spring of water runs beneath you.”

“There is one thing with which I can bless you: May it be G-d’s will that all the trees planted from your seed should be like you…”

_________________________________

Um homem caminhava pelo deserto, morto de fome e sede, quando encontrou junto a um riacho uma árvore cheia de frutos, dando uma bela sombra.
Comeu seus frutos, bebeu a água do riacho, e descansou junto a ela.

No momento de partir, virou-se para a árvore e disse:
“Árvore, oh árvore, como eu poderia abençoa-la?

“Deveria desejar que seu fruto fosse doce? Mas seus frutos já são doces.

“Deveria desejar que fosse frondosa, e com uma sombra acolhedora? Mas sua sombra já é acolhedora. Talvez pedisse que um riacho irrigasse suas raizes, mas já existe um riacho ao seu lado.

“Portanto, existe apenas uma coisa que eu posso pedir e abençoar. Peço ao Senhor que todas as árvores que nasçam de suas sementes sejam como você.”

Comments

1. Andrew says:

we should be thankful for whatever blessings we received..

2. claud says:

If I’m not mistaken, there is one parable that is alike with this story. When Jesus preaches about the three kinds of seeds. One is a seed carried by a bird, another one is planted in a dry soil and the last one is planted in a rich soil and taken good care of. Everything is touching in God’s name!

3. Elizabeth Oliveira says:

É tudo que uma boa mãe deseja. Que seu rebento seja, no mínimo, igual a ela. Excelente reflexão!! São essenciais para incutir no ser humano a importância do nosso exemplo de vida, para a evolução do nosso planeta.

4. Padhmanabhan says:

The story is very touching… probably another alternative way of blessing that tree is taking its fruit seeds and sow it for growing more tree like it.

5. Mago says:

I’m happy. U’re happy. We’re happy.
    We are the One in GOD’s bless.
    Hand in hand…..
    Present is Present! ~^O^~

6. Asmita says:

Wow we tend to take nature for granted…this really made me think.

7. Kerry Hart says:

This is so beautiful and true. Thank you for all your good work. I am working to plant such seeds as you do. Love and Light, Warrior. Thanks.

8. karimshah says:

excellent thought and lesson

9. marie-christine says:

“L’amour une fois qu’il a germe donne des racines qui ne finissent pas de croitre.” Antoine de Saint Exupery.

10. Audrey says:

The more we say good things, the more we spread good vibes in the world

11. Claudia says:

Excellent thought in as a story speaking the lenguage of gratitude and acting upon the blessings.

12. Jojo says:

Thank you … for I receive that blessing. I am as the tree, a seed planted, and want to be that tree that offers sweet fruit, plenty of shade and refreshing water.

Jojo

13. itahngah says:

when i pray,
    i asks for
    others good,
    before mine,

and am
    always be
    thankful,
    even am
    in pain!!!!

14. Bendiciones para Ud. de lo mas profundo de mi alma,para que siga compartiendo con el mundo su mirada con eternidad de cosas tan sencillas y cotidianas que generalmente no valoramos.Gracias ,salud y bienestar.

15. Leon says:

how often do we not accept blessings from people because we do not believe we deserve them? how is our growth stunted by this..? would we flourish into strong , fruitful trees if we accepted the nourishment of blessings in our lives..

16. Khola Niazi says:

This story really touched me! we always take blessing just for granted and are never thankful to them. Returning someone who has helped and comforted us with sincere words of pray cost nothing but matters a lot.

17. jo says:

DIT IS GEWOONTJES GEZEGD DE HELE VERTALING IN HET KORT VAN WAT MENSEN ZIJN !!iIiiII!!!

gewoon prachtig om even bij stil te staan

18. StarlingSeven says:

Thank you for your blessing. The trees that were with me in the most significant moments of my life. You were the third being who supported me and nourished me and also remember those life giving moments of bliss and unity as you were also there and I honour you and thank you; not only for supporting me but as you were there and a part of those moments(where time stood still, and there was only love, and you fed me and supported me and without you those moments would not exist).

19. kaoru says:

wonderfull tale! I always love Cohelo’s Books!

20. kealan says:

I really like this story. It shows the power of life vibrating through something that many people do not realise is alive!

21. Paola Rhoden says:

Ah! Como seria bom que as sementes que deixamos cair fossem todas abençoadas. Lindo seu texto. Abraços.

22. Rakesh Vijayan says:

I never read this piece, Reminds me of the giving tree by Shel Silverstein.

Gratitude to you for posting and enjoyed reading all the comments. Along with St. Francis of Assisi prayer, the beautiful Sufi poetry which touch my heart and the Hindu/Buddhist texts of my ancestors, I use the beauty of religion find meaning in life and remember it is not about me all the time.

23. solange campos says:

recebemos todos os dias, portanto temos que agradecer abençoando tudo que nos chega. peço ao grande espirito que te abençoe e obrigada por este ensinamento.

24. Thank you for this wonderful tale. I really love it! It is rich in meaning and after reading all the previous comments, I can see that there are many interesting interpretations!

I like to think that each one of us is the tree. To be a good tree we need to have our feet firmly on the ground, and reach up to the sky ! A tree can be a haven, and can bring rest and comfort to those who come to it. We should try to make sure that no one ever comes to us without feeling happier. If we are able to help others, they in turn will go forward on their journey and bring help to the people who come into their world. But we cannot do it alone, we need a blessing:

“May it be G-d’s will that all the trees planted from your seed should be like you.”

Thank you, and blessings to all!

1. Mohamed says:

Thanks for this meaningful interpretation of the tale Theresa! I really agree with your ideas here. It s just impossible for us to do it alone “we need a blessing” as you commented!

25. Rakesh Koul says:

A good human being can be blessed in much the same way…”May there be more like you”. Or “May you come across more people like you”

26. I have posted this on my blog in the past:
    “If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than a million who will not survive the week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of five million people around the world.

If you attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest or torture of death, you are more blessed that almost three billion people in the world.

If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.

If you own just one Bible, you are abundantly blessed one-third of the world does not have access to even one.

If your parents are still married and alive, you are very rare.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful, you are blessed because the majority can, but most do not.

If you can hold someone’s hand, hug them or even touch them on the shoulder, you are blessed because you can offer God’s healing touch.

If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.”

- Source Unknown.

1. heba adel says:

I like it so much, very amazing words it touch me

2. StarlingSeven says:

You can have all these things (money, education, live in a free society, family who loves you, a happy day, prestige, water, food, shelter) and I have all those things. Thank you for reminding me of how blessed I am. I have also been in a place where I go back to touch and reverence a tree (there are three) because they were with me when I truely knew love and knew I was protected and not alone.

3. @T_PAPER_IH says:

Thank you. I touched on in your reply .One of them was mentioned to my twitter. :-)
      “If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, roof over your head
      and a place to slep, you are richer than 75% of this world.”

4. baylon nancy says:

this is not just based on statistics,,,,it is also taken from a compassionate heart,,,,with clear vision over and beyond the real world’s horizon…where no bare-eyes could see.(share your blessings,,,smile…

27. Dushyant Singh Panwar says:

The tale is actually an ode of gratitude.That we may be grateful for all that we take for granted.Let us realise the importance of all that we have, before it is too late.

28. naina says:

blessed are those who have abundance and can spread the blessings.
    how devine blessings are. bless u for this beautiful reading.

1. Mariamne says:

Paulo:
      Such blessing from God is indescriptible, because there exists good seeds, and there will be more good men.
      Love.

29. Rima AL-Alamy says:

Be thankful of what you have

30. maggie says:

since i’ve started reading his books,im looking at life in a totally different way.often we look for something from others but i think its about what we do to make us better people,to make a difference,no matter how small.

1. sioux says:

it’s true once read he is like a religion…so happy you found Paulo

31. Raja Kumar Choudhury says:

Your Thought, Your Pictures, Your Book and You Mr. Paulo are Really Inspiring us in lot many ways to achieve Dreams & Realizing the nature and the Human Kind. God Bless U(*^*)
    v
    Blessing Tree gives us solution of all our problems.

Look To Nature when you have any Question in your mind…..U will get the best ever answer………..

Only your Soul can see GOD written in this extraordinary Picture. (Left – “g” Middle – “o”(Sun)and D on the right side)“That’s the point! God, too, does exist!”

32. nella says:

davvero bello mi piacerebbe trovare un albero

33. Anwi says:

What a thoughful person, he was so appreciative. We should learn to appreciate everything in life and bless everything as well. Thank you, you are also a blessing to those of us who read your posting everyday. I will also bless the fruits from your tree.
    May you also be Blessed

34. Fatima Paulos says:

Adorei.
    Me gustó mucho.
    Que Dios te bendiga y a todos tus frutos y creaciones.
    Obrigada.
    Gracias

35. katie says:

funny: so many tree companions in my life; always so close.

Linden tree – no fragrance in summer -> fall comes soon.
    Japanese cherry trees – lining up the street to my school.
    Oak tree – acorns pep-pep-pep down in fall at night.
    Elm – a home for my neighbors, the birds.
    Honey locust – shade & honey smell in the desert heat.
    Willow – a climbing tree for opossum, raccoon, and my cats.
    Birch – the stop & starting point for chickadees flying to my bird house in the cold.

36. polina says:

Adorei! :)

37. santosh says:

Mother nature has always been kind to us. Mankind.

1. Saumitra says:

But mankind has rarely been kind to Mother Nature.

38. Renaqueline says:

É verdade meu caro Paulo,
    pedimos sempre “ISSO”.
    BJU
    Renaa!

39. Ciro says:

That kind of blessing is the most important one. What we live and learn on this life shall be shared with our descendants and to all brothers and sisters who want to share with us our knowledge. Life is meaningless if you born, live and die without touching in the deep someone’s heart and change their life in some matter!

I think that we are all cultivators seeking for the best piece of earth to plant our energy and mind! Its just select the very best seed, pray, desire and when you leave this world, a part of you will still be here and spreading the good and the right!

Thank you Paulo! your seeds are beeing planted everyday in our Hearts.

40. Sorren says:

And that’s the kind of story that makes Paulo is today – a living legend:) Very profound lesson – love it!

41. elaine says:

Thought provokingly wonderful… Thank you, Paulo

42. Ismael Ramos says:

We need to bless and be thankfull for all the givings we received from God and we share every single day. Bless, bless, bless. Amen.

43. Diana says:

Wow. That is beautiful. Be like the tree. Blessings to you.:)

44. Elizabeth Salas says:

Son bellisimos sus escritos, adoro sus libros, son mi perfecta compañia, me llevan a otros lugares y me hacen soñar y saber que hay un motivo de existencia.

Gracias, salud y bendiciones…

45. Maria Lisbeth says:

What a beautiful story! thank you!

46. nasreen says:

Life is to be in peace in with one self, and this level of peace can only be attain by loving the humanity and doing actions which can make this world a better place.

47. mercy says:

that was a very inspiring story, thank you paulo coehlo!

48. verna gagui says:

u are always an inspiration for me thank you

49. Alejandra says:

Gracias, por siempre darnos un ejemplo bendecido por la naturaleza del señor, gracias por sus grandiosas lecturas.