10 SEC READ: Blessing the tree/ Abençoando a árvore (Jewish tradition)

A man was travelling through the desert, hungry, thirsty, and tired, when he came upon a tree bearing luscious fruit and affording plenty of shade, underneath which ran a spring of water. He ate of the fruit, drank of the water, and rested beneath the shade.

When he was about to leave he turned to the tree and said:
‘Tree, oh, tree, with what should I bless you?

“Should I bless you that your fruit be sweet? Your fruit is already sweet.

“Should I bless you that your shade be plentiful? Your shade is plentiful. That a spring of water should run beneath you? A spring of water runs beneath you.”

“There is one thing with which I can bless you: May it be G-d’s will that all the trees planted from your seed should be like you…”

_________________________________

Um homem caminhava pelo deserto, morto de fome e sede, quando encontrou junto a um riacho uma árvore cheia de frutos, dando uma bela sombra.
Comeu seus frutos, bebeu a água do riacho, e descansou junto a ela.

No momento de partir, virou-se para a árvore e disse:
“Árvore, oh árvore, como eu poderia abençoa-la?

“Deveria desejar que seu fruto fosse doce? Mas seus frutos já são doces.

“Deveria desejar que fosse frondosa, e com uma sombra acolhedora? Mas sua sombra já é acolhedora. Talvez pedisse que um riacho irrigasse suas raizes, mas já existe um riacho ao seu lado.

“Portanto, existe apenas uma coisa que eu posso pedir e abençoar. Peço ao Senhor que todas as árvores que nasçam de suas sementes sejam como você.”

Comments

1. Cat says:

Blessings are an essential part of life, they form the very crux that adds on to the life on people on the whole. Blessings can come from parents, our colleagues but in this fast forward world, we tend to forget a lot of this in haste, but readings such as these keep us closer.

2. Edith says:

Hermoso mensaje, lleno de sabiduria. Gracias por nutrir nuestra vida.

3. Yilmaz says:

Great story. It is already not easy to make life wonderful to yourself and others (sweet fruit), listen to yourself and others without judging (plentiful shade), and give and receive affluent love in order to be able to continue living (spring of water). There is always something to work on within one’s own soul.

Yet, the most difficult but noble task is to give faith to all the children of the world. May it be the children that we raise in our own homes or the ones we “give birth” to in everyday life wherever we find ourselves. May the child be 5 years or a child of 50 years old.

With love.

1. Muriyam Ali says:

Beautifull said! :)

4. chantel says:

stunning

5. Yan says:

为树祝福

一位旅人正在穿越沙漠,他又累又饿又口渴。他在路上遇到了一棵大树,大树枝叶茂盛,树上结着可口多汁的果实,树下一片荫凉,还有一汪泉水。旅人饱餐了果子,喝够了水,还在树荫下休息了好一会儿。

当他准备继续前进时,他对着树说:”树啊!树。我该怎样为你祝福呢?”

“我该祝你果实香甜么?你的果实已经是甜的了。”
    “我该祝你枝繁叶茂么?你已经长得很茂盛了。祝你脚下流过泉水?你已经拥有了一汪泉水。”

“我想,有一样东西,我是可以祝福你的:愿神让你的种子都能长出和你一样的树……”

6. cristina omena says:

mestre dos mestres gosto muito de suas mensagens a casa dia fazem o sentido da vida ainda maior agrdeco, agrsdecer sempre uma boa semana
    grata
    cristina omena

7. Florence says:

Beautiful !!!

8. Didi says:

Beautiful!

9. Rubina says:

Dear Paulo

I have loved everything written by you, I wish that you will always be motivated to share the beautiful stories and thoughts which makes the day a little brighter for millions like me :)

1. Muriyam Ali says:

Dear Paulo,

I have always believed human beings are like trees, and you’re a tree of wisdom and inspiration to me. I bless you that your words always remain powerful and inpirational to all the people in the world and i bless you that all the tress planted from your seed be like you. :)

10. I would bless the tree that it is never cut down!

Nice story. Something that is good might be let as it is, no need to change that.The future trees from the seeds will make happy other travellers.

12. Dipti says:

Another good one!

13. What I should wish you. You have already everything. But I wish you for you a longevity. I am 27 Now. May my grandson even read your amazing creativity.

14. Siva says:

Made my day :) that was a good one

15. Alfredo says:

Mi gran amigo Paulo :siempre me es grato tu lectura llena de amor y belleza con un simple destino de bendiciones , aprendizage que brotan en cada uno de su relatos y me dejo llevar por mi fantasia estando presente en el mismo ¿ Gracias maestro por todo ,lo espero con sus narraciones ??

16. Susana says:

Thank you for this…really, blessing something that is living to be more of the same…makes me think of stillness and calm.

The blessing of the tree reminded me of a story where a different blessing was given to two people from the same village.

The first blessing was to someone who distrusted anyone from another place, and the second was to someone who greeted all.

In the first case, the blessing was to keep the person who did not see the soul of strangers, to stay for the rest of her years in her village, and to the person who saw and welcomed all , it was wished that she travel to places near and far…to spread the joy and openness that she saw in the lives of others.

17. karina says:

Bem aventurados os mansos e humildes de coracao…
    Acredito eu , que tudo aquilo que se faz por amor sem esperar nada em troca ou se sacrifica pelo bem, automaticamente é abencoado em dobro… Esse ato de amor unilateral é a chave que transforma coracoes conduzindo-os a justica e a paz…
    Todo ato de amor é eterno…
    A misericordia de Deus se estenderá de geracao em geracao sobre aqueles que o temem e manifestará o poder de seus bracos e confundirá os soberbos nos pensamentos de seus coracoes , vai depor dos tronos os poderosos e exaltará os humildes e vai encher de bens os famintos e despidir os ricos de maos vazias e tomará cuidado de Israel seu servo, lembrando-se de sua misericordia conforme tinha prometido a nossos pais, a A braao e a sua descendência para sempre… Sao palavras de Nossa Senhora, Mae de Deus…

18. Rubiela Garcia says:

Dios le bendiga. Es privilegio poder compartir estas preciosas lecturas

19. Karol Feld says:

Dear Paulo: So glad you’re still here with us to continue inspiring us… Your stories are beautiful and certainly make us better persons. My husband and I just celebrated our 27th anniversary, and I know how wonderful it is to find love in our lives (love from our spouses, our friends, our children, our students, our co-workers, our neighbors, etc.). And of course, how important it is for us to live in gratitude and love the world. All the best to you and yours! Beautiful people those who wrote comments above – how lucky we are to still have so many wonderful people around us in this world!!!

20. Mkhuleko says:

21. laimute says:

linkiu, kad tik netektų (nereiktų) vienam malšinti visą tą žmonijos troškulį.

22. m. Paul says:

what if a seede vanishes, giving birth to a tree…………

23. Natangwe Asser says:

Heimo that was a good one. Paulo thanks for your ever eye opening stories.

24. Monica says:

Awesome…love it..!

25. Heimo Kruschinski says:

Thank your for the wonderful story. It reminds me.

A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up. Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.”
    When he said this, he called out, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”

His disciples asked him what this parable meant. He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.
    This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
    (Luke 8.5-15)

I wish you all a wonderful day

1. rico says:

glad to hear this once again.thanks

2. geethu says:

Very Nice one.. Thanks

26. alert('xss') says:

good 1

27. L says:

Sweet.It feels so good to no longer being in love with a shadow or love itself but with an authentic king,accessible ideal who is echoeing with what you are by just being who he is.Finding your half is something wonderful.It lifts up all levels of yourself,brings the best in you.I always thought it was only in movies or story this sudden realisation:he’s the one,the one I’m going to marry.Of course life brings obstacles,nothing comes easy but when you deeply love someone and it goes both ways..fear disappears,love is the strongest.You concentrate on the essential,you’ve cutting down on what’s superficial.I wish that for everyone.Passion,understanding,loyalty,romantism,humour,cleverness,spirituality,humility,unconditionnal love and much more..all that in one person..and I did not need to seek for him,destiny brought me to him..day to day life brought him to me,in the most common place,a day I wasn’t expecting anything.That’s the magic of love.And I certainly deserve it.

1. arina says:

я тоже сильно любила. и я чувствовала ответную любовь. все было как судьба. а сейчас сказав что приедет мой друг ушел. затем оскорбил меня в письме. во время наших отношений он женился. и они ждут ребенка. он знал что у меня больное сердце. а я чувствовала любовь.

2. ayesha says:

sometimes it feels as if we are waiting in void, but the next moment there is constant realisation of being continuously drawn towards your soul mate. thats a phase so strange in life and that makes it truely romantic.

3. arina says:

дорогая ayesha конечно сейчас тяжелое время для меня. но это третья катастрофа в моих отношениях когда я была влюблена. других отношений у меня не было. но я не вижу ничего романтического. просто оптимизм и надежда уменьшаются. может быть не всегда любовь имеет смысл ?

28. Vôgaluz says:

Mestre Paulo Coelho, tenho uma saudade incrível da época em que lia a seção “Maktub”, escrita por você na Folha de S. Paulo. Obrigado por manter este blog democraticamente universal, no qual podemos abrandar a saudade que sentimos das suas mensagens, nele sempre podemos nos deparar com mensagens lindas como esta “Abençoando a àrvore”, que Deus te abençoe sempre, muita saúde e muita paz. Quando puder, Mestre, visite meu blog,, Abraços. Vôgaluz

29. BraveSoul says:

This is funny because my mom used to tell me that when I misbahaved LOL So she wished that my kids will be like me!!!!

Cheers!

1. Gaby says:

My mom used to say that to me too…Is too funny ! Thank you!

30. nina ramirez says:

Bendiciones para propagar la grandeza de dios tal cual es, sin modificaciones, excelente!

31. Shine says:

Beautiful! love Avantika

32. Antonio Mancini says:

la vita al di là di tutte le ipotesi è meravigliosa basta soltanto accorgersi e
    vederli gli alberi che crescono. Dio con il suo accorgersi di cosa avevamo
    bisogno ci ha creato un mondo perfetto ,facendoci accostare al dolore
    per poi capire la gioa, la cosa che l’uomo ancora non ha capito è: la semplicità
    e il credere che domani il sole ancora risorge e che lascera il posto alla luna
    perchè è la sua ora,cosi l,uomo deve capire quando è il suo momento e lasciare
    che gli eventi gli diano il suo posto

1. ayesha says:

wonderful.

33. Pondering says:

Your posts a breath of fresh air in our daily grinding routine lives. Thank you!

34. Nushin says:

Dear Paulo,
    Iranian and all the Persian speakers this week is celebrating Norooz (New Year). I wondered if you would send a message and make us happy. : -))

1. Palwasha Mirbacha says:

Dear Paulo,
      I’m from Afghanistan and we also celebrate Nawroz (the solar calendar New Year) first day of Spring. Do include me in your words of wisdom on this day. I read you often with lots of passion within.

Your admirer,

35. Empié says:

Habeis encontrado alguna vez en vuestra vida alguien con el que la comunicación sea plena? Alguien que ha vivido tanto, que se ha despojado tanto de lo superfluo, que ha sufrido y amado tanto, que su presencia es puro corazón? Sin mentiras para disimular, disminuir o aumentar. Alguien con quien poder ser tú y nada más.

Creo que cuando aparecen personas así en tu vida, te das cuenta de que el resto no importa, nace la verdadera comunión.

Algunos piensan que soy un soñador, que no tengo los pies en la tierra, y llevan razón, no tengo los pies en la tierra que ellos pisan, he escarbado hasta el fondo y allí la tierra es sólida. Sería estúpido si habiendo conocido la verdad y la mentira me quedara con la mentira.

Quizá no siga el ritmo que la mayoría, quizá no viva una vida tan placentera en algunos sentidos, aunque sí más plena. Habiendo conocido el corazón de la vida, no me conformo con lo superfluo, imposible.

36. arina says:

я не понимаю что такое благославление. мой путь к мечте очень труден и получить совет куда идти дальше мне не у кого. трудно верить в благословение когда только неудачи.

37. Annie says:

Oh mustard tree
    with your branches extending
    with your shade and your faith…
    Blessings for you
    teaching me how to grow

Blessings for you
    teaching me how to believe
    in the small that becomes big
    in the impossible that becomes real

“Just keep your eyes upon the sky
    no matter where you are,honey,
    and you ll be fine..
    I do too look up the sky
    and imagine I can fly”

Love and Gratitude
    Annie

38. What better way to portray the miracle of blessings through nature!!!! Thanks Paulo!!

I recently experienced the same beauty and just how much human beings are a beautiful part of nature, we have that same seed as the tree, in giving each other blessings, our seed will grow to make others stronger.

I volunteered to help with educating the children from the underprivileged neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires. Although I was there to help them, they gave so much more then I could ever give them. These families were happier with what they had (nothing) then most people. They live each moment and celebrate each moment for everything they have. Their smiles, their laughter was a true blessings. They never asked for anything, just my presence made them feel that they were worthy of it. For that, they offered to give the little that had to show their gratitude. Little did they know just how muh they given me!

39. Sheela Nandini says:

I love these desert stories of yours, Paulo. :)

May we always find what we need most, like this traveler in the desert!

Enjoy your weekend and best wishes for your annual Saint Joseph’s Party on 19th March.

Love&hugs
    sheela

40. VEry beautiful, dear Paulo, how are you?be blessed! Bye

41. That’s the greatest gift, of being able to leave a legacy. The tree anyway had all that it needed. Thanks Paulo for sharing this.

42. Jessica says:

Cute story indeed <3

43. siofa says:

Lovely story as usual Paulo. Happy St. Patrick’s Day from Dublin Ireland. A good day to have a read of Brida.

44. toñi says:

Me he acordado de un cuento que leí de Jorge Bucay: “la ciudad de los pozos” trata de una ciudad de pozos con vida propia, cada pozo es diferente, algunos son ostentosos y otros son sencillos. Entonces llegó una moda a la ciudad y los pozos siguieron la moda y empezaron a llenarse de muchas cosas. Como querían llenarse más y no tenían sitio ..empezaron a ensancharse y a ocupar más sito. Había un pozo pequeño que se dió cuenta de lo que pasaba y que llegaría un día en que todos los pozos chocarían unos contra otros y perderían su identidad. Este pozo decidió crecer hacia lo profundo y hacia abajo. Para hacerlo tenía que vaciarse de todas sus cosas y eso es lo que hizo. Los demás pozos se apoderaron de todo lo que él dejaba fuera. Y creciendo hacia lo profundo …un día ocurrió un milagro. Encontró agua, un manantial subterráneo. El agua inundó el pequeño pozo y crecieron dentro de él flores, árboles…vida. La vida explotó alrededor del pozo. El resto de los pozos no comprendían que había pasado. En el otro extremo de la ciudad había otro pozo que también corrió el riesgo de vaciarse y empezó a crecer hacia lo profundo y…también encontró agua…un día los dos pozos descubrieron que el agua que les inundaba de vida era del mismo manantial subterráneo. Y descubrieron que podían comunicarse entre ellos a través de esa nueva fuente de vida. Habían descubierto la comunicación profunda que sólo consiguen aquellos que tienen el valor de vaciarse y buscar en las profundidades de su ser lo que tienen para dar.
    Saludos,
    Toñi.

45. LoveM says:

Know there is nothing
    I can wish for you that could
    Perfect the perfect

What ever happens
    In love I trust this will be
    A blessing for you

Where is the beauty
    When you are living your truth
    It shines from within

The seed disappears
    Transforms to become a tree
    AH dis.a.pear tree

46. densi says:

trees – gatherers of life, guardians of essences, connectors… bravery of being… giants locked in space and time with branches unfolding for angels and fairies… magic of sharing…

good morning Paulo – the best story to start the day or journey. at least for me
    thank you and blessings to you for your footsteps – furthermore :)

47. beena manu says:

what a pleasant blessings ,its touch my heart,thanks dear

48. Haiku says:

Blessed to be a blessing!

49. Claudiana says:

AWESOME!

50. Hermes Miraflor says:

I never believed in blessings, but throught this story my eyes were opened. Thanks Paulo :)