20 SEC READING: May we be forgotten

EM PORTUGUES AQUI: Que sejamos esquecidos

At the Sceta monastery, the abbot Lucas gathered the monks for the sermon.

- May you never be remembered – he said.

- What do you mean? – replied one of the brothers. – May our example not help those who might need it?

- In the days when everything was just, no one paid attention to exemplary people – answered the abbot. – Everyone gave their best, without pretensions, and so fulfilled their duty to their fellow men.
“They loved their neighbor because they understood that this was part of life, and they thought nothing of respecting a law of nature.
“They shared their possessions in order not to accumulate more than they could carry, since journeys last a lifetime.
“They lived together in freedom, giving and receiving, without demanding or blaming anything on others.
“That is why their deeds were not handed down, and there is no story known about them.

“I hope we can achieve the same thing in the present: to make goodness such a common thing, that there is no need to exalt those who practice it.”

Comments

1. Arrow42 says:

Hi sir,

i always read your seconds reading. and this is great story. i knew a lot of people who are having these amazing gift from God who is so simple, when others are gossiping, back-stabbing, etc they are like their tree which just there but no comment. and also helping others without asking for something. they also hug dirty people which i admire the most. For me, I WILL NEVER FORGET THESE PEOPLE!

Jing
    Philippines

2. Carlos Eduardo Hernandez Guzman says:

Hey Paulo, Im 16 years old
    My name is Carlos, I’m from El Salvador.
    Everyday while i’m Studying I come up here and read all the stories.
    Is amazing how you can encourage people and I have to say thank you.
    Because at my short age I’m one of those who have learn how to face different situation in Life.
    Hey !! DO ME A FAVOR, Never Stop to writing I really really love to read these stories.
    I’m Carlos From El Salvador.

GOD BLESS

3. Goodness lies in all…The only problem is we let other negative tendencies play a more dominant role than the goodness.
    If all recognize the fact that the goodness lies in each one and start respecting it…world would be a more calmer place.

4. Jennifer says:

for it is in giving that we receive…

5. Tara Hamdi (UAE, Denmark) says:

My 2 daughters are 5 and 8 now, As soon as my daughters will reach the right age, I will let the read The Alchemist, as for me I am reading now The Wicth of Portobello.

The words are full of emotion

6. Maria Claudia says:

En momentos de tristeza estas lecturas me reconfortan, siempre estare en busca de mi leyenda personal.

7. Maria Claudia says:

En la tristeza estas lecturas me reconfortan, siempre estare en busca de mi leyenda personal.

8. Josephine says:

it seems the chocolate apples arrived :-)

9. Nikoya says:

“他们懂得分享,不贪求财富,明白人生之路中占有过多会成为累赘。”

“他们共同自由生活,给予并接纳,不因此强求或指责他人。”

“这就是为什么他们的贡献没被记载,他们的故事没被传颂。”

“我希望我们现在也能达到这种境界:让行善成为常事,这样就无需刻意对行善者进行赞扬了。”

1. Claudia says:

这里能看到中文,真好!

Thank you for translate it into Chinese!

11. Akan Benedict Asu says:

I wish men could imbibe these principles in these days when materialism rules the hearts of men, the world could be with out worries and crime. Thanks for the post.

12. richard hughes says:

dear paulo !!
    this story is another reminder that it is not what other people
    think about us thats important. it is how we think of our’selves.

13. Florence says:

Amazing life wisdom !

14. Sophia says:

Every time I read your posts I feel like , there is hope to achieve my dreams , there’s hope to find a place for me in this world …
    God bless you Paulo :)

15. Haiku says:

…”Unsung Heroes”…with no name, no face, no record of their deed, however the ‘universe and all-knowing energy (God)’ takes account and that’s all the matters in the end, understanding its not done for the applause of others but spirit-led and received. Life is indeed a much happier experience not looking for or waiting for false validation for your deeds.

16. maria emilia says:

Querido Paulo,

Inspirador como sempre … até mais

17. Mr. Coelho, I need speak with You about Humankind library -openlibero project

Please contact me

18. James Stygles says:

It would be nice if goodness and happiness were the norm, that every mistake was already made in the past and that all of the lessons had been learned and common sense achieved. What a greeat thing to climb Maslow’s pyramide and realize yourself, accept who you are, where you are and what you are doing. Arrive at some kind of paradise within yourself. Exist happily and happily be forgoten.

1. sunny suman says:

may dis get true some day!!