In the Tokyo subway

Illustration by Ken Crane

Terry Dobson was traveling on the Tokyo subway when a drunk got on and began to insult all the passengers.

Dobson, who had studied martial arts for some years, challenged the man.

"What do you want?" asked the drunk.

Dobson got ready to attack him. Just then, an old man sitting on one of the seats shouted: "Hey!"

"I’ll beat the foreigner, then I’ll beat you!" said the drunk.

"I like to drink, too," said the old man. "I sit every afternoon with my wife, and we drink sake. Are you married?"

The drunk was confused, and replied: "I have no wife, I have no one. I’m just so terribly ashamed."

The old man asked the drunk to sit beside him. By the time Dobson got off, the man was in tears.

Comments

1. Mike Hunter says:

Well ! Experience teaches oneself when to react and when to ignore, it enlightens us with wisdom to act tactfully under all conditions, may they be harsh or may they be normal ! The old man teaches us to be patient, analyze the psyche and deal with compassion ! As a warrior it is not always important that u act harshly sometimes battles can be won without firing even a single bullet and that is victory !

1. rollie de belen says:

well said!

2. toñi says:

Este mensaje es para Paulo:
    Paulo es un gran guerrero, en el mundo de las almas es uno de los más grandes y admirados guerreros. Un guerrero que sabe transformar a los animales en hijos de Dios. Un guerrero que sabe destruir demonios y transformarlos en mariposas, y luego recoger los restos de lo que es la persona y transformar a esa persona en alguien inteligente, capaz y revelación de la verdad. Eso es un gran guerrero, aquel que sabe que tiene la fuerza mental y espiritual necesaria y que también sabe controlar esa fuerza y encaminarla hacia el bien común y el equilibrio. Yo me postro a tus pies, Paulo, con respeto y admiración. No necesitamos ser Leyendas en el mundo real, ya somos leyendas en el mundo de la luz. Un abrazo,
    Toñi.
    Y eres muy joven, en el mundo de las almas se te vé muy joven y muy bien!.

3. LETS EXPAND OUR HORIZONS.... says:

Change … change …. change is required … we all need to change… just check what we all are doing ? of course striving to be better than before… for being better, what we need to do ? The first i could enlist was to have an open mind. Second i feel to have patience…. need to be patient listener…Third the most important is to remove the mental blocks & hurdles in adopting something good… to admit & realize our shortcomings and finally working on rectification of this bad in ourselves.
    Other than a few OLD MAN among st us what we have been doing is … we are searching for the DRUNKARD in others without even recognizing the hidden one inside our own self. I feel This is because we are having a big mental block that ” I AM RIGHT “… We even do not want to listen to what other fellow wants to say… We are so much obsessed with ” I AM RIGHT ” attitude that it veils our slightest of chances of changing or learning… In Indian mythology need of having a GURU( teacher ) is essential …. GURU is a person who guides you in right direction …not only inculcates good in you but also removes the bad. Once we are open to learning … open to accept the change … we quite easily start leaving the bad and start adopting the good in our selves…. that’s what learning or ideal changing is… So simple but so tough ….
    If someone sees GODs reflection in his GURU’S face what’s so wrong in it ? the person who brought transformation in your life the person who showed you the right path , the person who has helped you leave the bad in you…has done things worth worshiping …i don’t find anything wrong in doing so… … Instead of finding out the DRUNKARD in others if someone has made a GURU from the OLD MAN inside the lot whats wrong ? …Many of us are feeling the difference the magic of Mr. Paulo has started showing the results … GURU has only prepared fertile land & has sowed the seeds … he has grown good seeds ….will reap good…. there is no appropriate age for Learning… lets open ourselves to unlearning & learning …. LETS EXPAND OUR HORIZONS…….

4. WE THE MARTIAL ART "LEGENDS" LETS TRY TO BE OLD MAN says:

If we go through our day to day life & patiently watch every such situation we find we can divide all of us into three varieties.. The first one of course in majority The Marshal Art specialists. The people who are confused , have forgotten the basics of the game too, the people with so many complexities, the people who have lost the track of the the BASIC PURPOSE of the art which is meant for self defense or to fight with equal not with a single unarmed weak drunkard . They are the people who often forget their words, their thoughts, there body language , there counter reactions to the situation itself reflects what they are . In doing so they are so busy that they forget that if i am raising my finger towards someone the balance four fingers are towards me. Just saying LOUUUUUD …….that i know this … i can do this … i can do this …doesn’t anywhere reflect their bravery? Such self proclaimed LEGENDS …in place of enlisting someone’s shortcomings or feeling pity on someone’s weakness they should try spending some time on thinking why cant we be THE OLD MAN… having knowledge of Marshal Art along with WISDOM of THE OLD MAN .Mr.PAULO . is the need of the day…..

I SALUTE AND HAVE VERY HIGH REGARDS TO MANY OF THE OLD MAN PRESENT AMONG ST US .
    BUT REFUSE TO ACCEPT A PLACE WHERE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANT THE POOR TO BE ERADICATED RATHER THAN ERADICATING POVERTY (INDICATIVE )… I SAY A BIG “NO” TO SUCH SELF PROCLAIMED LEGENDS & DO NOT AT ALL APPROVE TO WHATEVER THE MIGHT & TECHNIQUES THEY CARRY….

WAITING , WATCHING, EXAMINING , STUDYING & THEN JUDGING …. THANK GOD … I FIND THE OLD MAN INSIDE … THE OLD MAN . Mr.PAULO. HAD A GREAT INSIGHT…. ITS MY PLEASURE BEING A REASON OF SOMEONES HAPPINESS & WELL BEING ……
    LETS MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE……LOVE afl at PEACE…..

5. Shine says:

Beautiful story Paulo! :) Love Avantika

6. Subhan Zein says:

This is an amazing story! Great stuff! :-)

Subhan Zein

7. Mike says:

Sounds like the drunk was just crying out for help, compassion and companionship. The older man showed great wisdom and compassion in dealing with the situation. Nice story.

8. jackienoriega says:

ESE TEXTO NOS INVITA A REFLEXIONAR SOBRE LA POBREZA Y LA MALA VIDA QUE DEBEN TENER AQUELLOS MENOS FAVORECIDOS QUE DEAMBULAN POR EL MUNDO DE UNA FORMA EQUIVOCADA YA SEAN DESVARIANDO , BORRACHOS O MENDIGOS Y TENER UN POCO MAS DE AGRADECIMIENTO CON LA VIDA YA QUE ESTAMOS CUERDOS Y HAY PERSONAS QUE NOS ESPERAN EN CASA CON AMOR

9. Eric says:

This is a great story. But it is best told the long version in Mr. Dobson’s own words:

1. Eric says:

I hope Mr. Coelho will see fit to post its entirety.

2. katie says:

true.
      you can see in his story the philosophy of akaido, gave me goose bumps. :o)

3. Nancy says:

The long version told me more about Terry Dobson, and the short story gave me a lesson about people of the world. I meant no disrespect to Terry Dobson, who shared his story to help students in Aikido, and people just reading a story. Thank you.

10. Marie-Christine Grimard says:

Sometimes it would take very little to defuse greater tensions. Just an exchange of glances, an exchange of souls, a gesture of compassion.
    This is what the old man did with the drunken man, and this little germ of humanity, brought forth his ​​tears, and opens the door to the sensitivity.
    We are people sensitive to vibrations of our fellows. Just a few shared emotions, to accept and resolve differences, and learn to love.
    Even here, in this case the fear of deprivation and shame could have led to violence.
    Bravo for this story and to help us look around us with new eyes.
    M Christine G

Parfois il suffirait de très peu pour désamorcer les plus grandes tensions. Juste, un échange de regards, un échange d’âmes, un geste de compassion. C’est ce que le vieil homme fait avec l’homme ivre, et ce petit germe d’humanité, fait jaillir ses larmes, et ouvre la porte de la sensibilté.
    Nous sommes des êtres sensibles aux vibrations de nos semblables. Il suffit de quelques émotions partagées, pour accepter et aplanir les différences, et apprendre à s’aimer. Même ici, dans ce cas où la peur de la déchéance et de la honte aurait pû conduire à violence.
    Bravo pour cette histoire et pour nous aider à regarder autour de nous avec des yeux nouveaux.
    M Christine G

11. Nancy says:

There are people who do not want to look at the depth of another person. It is about battle and getting the problem out of the way.
    Then there are people who want to hear the story of another person and give healing.

12. Paris says:

My dad is an alcoholic! For years, I never touched alcohol, until recently. Everytime, a friend would cajole me into drinking, I would abstain from it, telling them that I cannot come to terms with it as it has ruined my family completely.
    Now, I have accepted things as they are after trying my best to change them. A strange sense of serenity has descended on me. Alcohol doesnt trouble me anymore. As Rumi would say, I belong from a different kind of a tavern, I dance to a silent tune, I am the symphony of the stars!

13. Jane Stewart (Dances With Crayons) says:

Amazed at how the old man listened and responded with his heart.
    I hope all is well for the man today.

Thankful for kindness, patience of those in my life too. As well as the opportunities to practise it daily.

Love,
    Jane
    P.S. It is Father’s Day weekend here. And I wanted to say Happy Father’s Day to all of the dads.

14. Massashi says:

pq ñ em portugues!?!?,,,,pena

15. Empié says:

En tierra de nadie, hoy he gravado algo, por fin me ponto a trabajar en mis sueños. Ha sido breve, el principio, pero se que dentro de poco cada vez esta actividad ocupará más tiempo, y en un mañana no muy lejano tendré algo solido que poder enseñar al mundo.

Por lo demás, trabajo emocional, todo pasará.

Un saludo, a pesar de todo, pese a lo altibajos, tengo la sensación de que dentro de poco comenzarán las vacaciones.

Hablamos.

16. SAD AND BEAUTIFUL IN THE SAME TIME .

17. Hattie(Tea) says:

The story made me cry too. Oh my~

18. Olga says:

Tengo que aprender más sobre los borrachos.

19. Empié says:

La verdad es que últimamente el nivel de susceptibilidad ha aumentado, creo que es por el consumo de drogas, quizá no tengan un efecto muy agudo pero me doy cuenta de que gente que estaba sobrada y que le resbalaba todo empieza a sentirse agredida, puede que con razón. Yo he pasado por un plano en el que estabas en el foco de atención de todo aquel que buscaba alguien a quien pisar y sentirse bien, hasta los jubilados, no todos, este tiempo como les calentaban con la televisión para conseguir sus votos, buscaban tu mirada para recriminarte por lo que les habían hecho creer de los jóvenes, un mundo de locos pero real.

No se como pero conseguí salir de ahí sin montar ningún lió importante, por eso evitaba a la gente, pero cuando no puedes, puede ser peligroso. Creo que el hecho de resistir, arder en silencio, y poco a poco, responder sin agredir, retomando así mi sitio, ha hecho que ese mundo se quede a otro nivel. Hoy estoy como por encima, a ese tipo de gente que van poniendo a otros a parir y buscan alguien a quien criticar ni les miro a la cara, ahora si quiero puedo avasallares sin perder el control solo con la palabra o sencillamente ignorando a quien no merece tu atención, no me llegan, estoy fuera, ya no hay guerra.

La verdad es que ha sido un periodo complicado aquí en España, enseguida buscaban liarla. Hasta que empiezas a estar fuera de su mundo, no tienes por qué estar con gentuza habiendo gente, se evitan problemas, aunque cuando no se puede evitar estar con cierta gente y en cierto estado, la solución es más complicada.

Lo que queda es elevar la conciencia, con trabajo, resistencia y evitando situaciones conflictivas, y aunque esté socialmente validado, incluso de prestigio, evitar las drogas, te quitan la paz poco a poco.

Un saludo.