10 sec reading: save or destroy

In New York I am going to have late-afternoon tea with a rather unusual artist. She works in a bank on Wall Street, but one day she had a dream: she had to go to twelve places in the world and in each place make a painting or a sculpture using material from nature.
So far she has managed to complete four of these works. She shows me photos of one of them: an Indian sculpted inside a cave in California. While she awaits the signs from her dreams, she goes on working at the bank – in that way she saves up the money to travel and fulfill her task.
I ask her why she does this.
“It’s to keep the world in equilibrium,” she answers.

“It may seem silly, but there is something tenuous that joins us all and we can make it better or worse according to how we act. We can save or destroy so much with a simple gesture that at times seems utterly useless.

“It may even be that my dreams are a lot of nonsense, but I don’t want to run the risk of not following them. For me, people are related just like a huge, fragile spider’s web. I am trying through my work to mend a part of that web.”

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. Vision of Paradise.... says:

It was veronica’s piano that lead Eduard to paint THE VISION OF PARADISE …….

2. Vision of paradise.... says:

It was veronica’s violin which lead Eduard to ‘ PAINT VISION OF PARADISE ‘ …… An artist could only do this miracle ….. Paulo you and your work have life enhancing impact on your readers ……

3. Jing Juance says:

hi Mr. Coehlo,

i love the story. i also want to share that about save and destroy it means to “all”. daily lives, challenges, trials, problems, awards, etc. it is you will be the one to choose if you will save or destroy your life. this message of yours has more meaning, millions of meaning to people who are learning goodness through their daily lives.

Jing Juance

4. difendi a la natura :) says:

It’s a great web sight! I love it
    Thank you for sharing.
    I am saving it and… yes… I do love ‘New York’
    hugs and yeah
    natural is best

I love you

5. And finally.... says:

An artists Dreams never go unfulfilled….the entire universe is conspiring to fulfill each and every dream of the unusual artist… She is least bothered about whatever people think about her.. Very soon you will hear about further art work of this artist… No one can restrict her in doing so ….as she is backed & connected to soul of the universe…..

6. Cats says:

Would love to see/read about more of those works of this lady.

People seem to think they have me in their sights, then from there, try to bind/limit me. If they think my dreams are those set – as by them – then I would be going nowhere. Lucky for me, perhaps they do not ‘see me’… it gives me a chance to work out how best to stay away and free of this kind of people.
    Trouble is, there are so many who think maybe destiny is for .. sale
    or. who wait and watch for you to fall, then crawl and climb over you.

I’m very troubled by it, as you may tell.. ;o)
    but I’m glad for Paulo’s blog, where freedom and truth speaks – loud and clear .

God bless you and be free.

7. nina ramirez says:

YO TAMPOCO QUIERO CORRER EL RIESGO DE NO SEGUIR MIS SUEÑOS!

8. Alejandra says:

SIN PALABRAS, SIMPLEMENTE ADMIRO TU PERSONA.

ME ENCANTA COMO TOMAS LA REALIDAD SIN PROBLEMA ALGUNO.

TODOS COMETEOS ERRORES.

PERO TAMBIEN NOS DAMOS CUENTA QUE LA VIDA HAY QUE APROVECHARLA DIA A DIA.

NADA ES PARA SIEMPRE.

UN ABRAZO A MI ESCRITOR FAVORITO. BENDICIONES

DESDE PARAGUAY ;)

9. karina says:

Somos ligados por lacos Divinos (inconsciente)
    Viemos da mesma fonte e todos nós, um dia , retornaremos a ela.
    Nossos sonhos e objetivos de alguma forma sao os mesmos, por isso temos que contribuir para o equilibrio da vida e do mundo…

10. Susana says:

Easy to admire in others those qualities that we wish to see growing in ourselves.

Stepping out of routine to reclaim our lives, to forget about our personalities for a while and to focus on essence..that what is able to illuminate our lives and give us strength to be moved.

My dream is to paint and find that I’m making time to do it…this is what I’m working towards..a blank canvas in a new land.

Thanks for this story of inspiration xx

11. Marie-Christine Grimard says:

Follow your dreams and believe that the universe pushes you to do so.
    Is to be a great visionary, or be really sure of yourself.
    In our life choices, the part of dream is present but sometimes quickly, it is buried under the obligations and expectations of our surroundings. One must be very strong to go against the current.
    I can only wish all of us, poor and ordinary human, to find the strength to dig up his dream, and follow his path towards the light, as this woman chooses to do.

Suivre ses rêves et penser que tout l’univers vous pousse à le faire.
    C’est être un grand visionnaire, ou alors être vraiment sûr de soi.
    Dans notre choix de vie, la part du rêve est présente, mais parfois, rapidement, elle est enterrée sous les obligations et les attentes de notre entourage. Il faut être bien fort, pour aller contre le courrant.
    Je ne peux que souhaiter à chacun de nous, pauvre et banal humain, de trouver la force d’exhumer son rêve, et de suivre son chemin vers la lumière, comme cette femme a choisit de le faire.
    M Christine G

1. Cats says:

“to dig up his dream”
      thanks M-Christine ;o)

I used to bury things, a lot, for safe keeping [as a child]…
      thanks for the memo: time to unearth ;o)

2. Marie-Christine Grimard says:

Yes, dear Cats, if it’s time to Unearth, for you.
      I wish you success.!… ;-)))

12. Gill Foreman says:

Love Paulo’s work and think The Alchemist is one of the best novels ever written. I wonder if he got any inspiration from Fritz Lang. It seems that a lot of authors with that ethereal tone have gained a lot from his film Metropolis. Anyone agree or see the connection?