Relax and pay attention

Sometimes we keep on waiting – with patience, resignation, courage – and still, things around us don’t move. But since this is the path we chose, it seems impossible that life’s blessings are not working in our favor. It provokes, therefore, a deep reflection about what we call “results:” our destiny is manifesting itself in a way we are not able to fully comprehend .
Jorge Luís Borges wrote a masterly short story about this issue.

He describes the birth of a tiger that spends great part of its life in the African wildness but ends up being captured and taken to a zoo in Italy. From then on, the animal thinks his life has lost sense and there is nothing left to do but wait for the day he dies.

One fine day, poet Dante Alighieri passes by this zoo, looks at the tiger, and the animal inspires a verse – in the midst of thousands of verses – of “The Divine Comedy.”

“The entire battle for survival that tiger went through was only so that it could be at the zoo on that morning and inspire an immortal verse,” says Borges.

Just like this tiger, we all have a reason – a very important reason – to be here, at this moment, this morning.

So relax. And pay attention.

Comments

1. Rhods says:

I have a positive outlook in life but i always have self doubt in my own capabilities like i cannot express conviction to push my ideas. I don’t know how to forgive myself whenever i make mistakes and im having hard time coping in a negative environment. I believe in the saying “ordo ab chao” so i delve in a world that is different and unfamiliar to learn and be enlightened. But im stuck… unable to cope and see light. I don’t want to like the tiger and wait till my life is over… i want to see my full potential. Bug i have no guide…

1. Rhaya says:

Forgiving yourself is most important for happiness, at least for me.
      If you have a difficult time with that, perhaps going to a different environment will help you. If you cannot travel, still, try meeting someone new in your own town. Go out to places where you might meet people you have never met before. Make sure to wish (and ask your angels) to meet someone positive and enlightening everyday, and soon, you will surely meet some new friends.
      If for some physical reason you cannot go out, then try chatting on the internet with someone positive, or look for inspiring websites, many of them. Stop talking to negative people or looking at negative sites, whenever possible.

2. Aly says:

Life is written…. But Choices are in our hand…. Destiny must be there awaiting but towards that we shall take a step ahead first because Destiny will not hug you until you let him to hug. Tiger is an example but its something different in our case. We shall have to break the cage being son of Adam and God’s Most Perfect creation we have choices, we have paths, we have intellect to use it and came out of the cage of the wild hunter named Worries.
    Why to worry if we one dose not find it good for him/herself.

3. vermon says:

I also feel that there is a great need to have patience and above all, FAITH. But sometimes, it becomes difficult to have that, especially in the trying time……I am waiting patiently for my life to change a little bit. Hope God answers my prayers soon. Amen.

4. Olya says:

I strongly agree that everything that happens to us has a reason. The thing that confuses me is that I thought that later on, the true meaning of whatever happens to us should reveal itself. That’s how we know that it wasn’t the bad thing, and its been actually full of sense. But I don’t think that lion really cares that he inspired somebody. Did it make a lion happier later on? I don’t think so. My guess is- he still wanted to die. It did not affect his life at all. So in my personal opinion, this is not a good example of “reason”. It is more of example of how everything we interact with leaves its print on our soul. Some prints are invisible (but they are still there) and they reveal themselves when we start looking deeper into ourselves. Some prints can trigger the inspiration.

5. cristetoile11 says:

To be carefull means to have an eagle eye… there are many ways to see what is behind all wee see. This is part of perception. But a warrior of light has a large vue as an eagle indeed. Take care Paulo, sending you light, always, Cris

6. Seema says:

Yeah! Right!

7. mamito jr says:

I am trying to be patient. I am trying to have faith and trust that God has a plan for me and that the life I am living now is preparing me for His plan. I want to believe that God does not want me to feel small and scared and ugly and helpless. I am trying to be open to learning the lessons He wants me to learn. Some days are good and I appreciate the richness of this phase of my life. Then other days I am afraid that this is what my life will be like until I die. I feel like this post is a sign for me. Thank you.

1. Nicoletta says:

..and I feel like your post was a sign for me. Thank you!
      I feel exactly how you feel: I KNOW God wants me to be happy and not suffer; but like you said, keeping this in mind is not easy to do everyday. I hope to one day learn how to communicate with angels and the read the signs God lays out for me.

8. Audrey says:

Thanks.

9. Linda Valles says:

I am excixted Friday I am going Book shopping for your books. I want to read it with feeling and alertness and wonder as a cliff hanger asking ” What comes next?”

10. Benny says:

Thanks for this story. I feel like that my current situation is like that Tiger.

11. Marie-Christine Grimard says:

Sometimes our life seems mapped out, and people think, “yes he was made for it.” So there has only to continue without asking questions ..
    Then destiny switches, as this tiger. How to survive in resigning .. or then fight to regain its own choice .. or drop.
    Wait for death: “nothing left to do but wait for the day he dies.”

“The entire battle for survival through Went That Tiger was only so That It Could be at the zoo one morning That year and inspires immortal verse,” says Borges.
    I hear this often in my office : God has endowed me, forgotten, what I’m still in this life, where all those I loved are gone.
    I try to find an answer, give a little hope, a sense of the future. Sometimes it is very difficult, and I’m scanning the horizon, it seems clogged ..

But finally it seems that “We all have a reason – a very significant reason – to be here, at this moment, this morning. So relax. And pay attention.”
    Just look carefully and this reason will show itself, each day there propablement at least one moment we could see it appear. Following signs, and sun’s path. .. M. Chris

1. Audrey says:

Thanks M. Chris.
      I hope, i am able to find every day/night, that i’ve done something, even one small thing for others. The point that i can be any advantage for someone else makes me happy that i’m alive.

12. Jazz Siy says:

Relax and pay attention….thank you for this.

13. Daniel Spencer says:

The story makes me feel uncomfortable. I don’t wish for my struggles to have solely been for the benefit another person, but to enrich myself and yes then help other people I encounter.

14. Raj says:

En medio de una multitud, el guerrero elige a un amigo. Este bares el flujo y el encuentra un igualmente formidable enemigo. A veces, el asume como hombre y el conoce a una mujer. O bien, puede ser al reves. Despues de muchas batallas y de descanso, el guerrero se reune con su propia imagen. Esto afila la espada.

15. gita says:

actually the tiger didn’t choose to be captured.

16. Andrea says:

That seems so true but hard to accept. I feel right now unhappy with my job and every day at work I find it such a drag. But maybe I am supposed to be here and one day there will be a reason why. I just would like to know what that reason is! Thank you Paulo!

1. vermon says:

I also think likewise. It seems that the time is dragging and am losing faith and hope that one day things will improve and change for better……..but then again, they say, life is a beautiful struggle. I hope and pray that things turn out okay. Hopefully soon.

17. toñi says:

Bona nit!
    Sé que no hace falta que lo escriba pero lo voy a escribir porque lo he recordado hace un rato y me ha hecho gracia. Me leí un cuento que es más o menos así:
    “Había en un pueblo dos hombres que se llamaban igual y habían nacido el mismo día, uno era taxista y el otro era párroco. Quiso el destino que llegada la hora de su muerte coincidió que murieron el mismo día. Y los dos subieron a las puertas del cielo, donde les esperaba el ángel que dice a dónde va cada cual. Y primero recibieron al taxista: le dieron regalos y le dijeron que directo al paraiso entre los mejores. Luego recibieron al párroco pero no le dieron tantos honores como al taxista. Y el párroco se quejó y dijo:- He dedicado mi vida a Dios y ése taxista siempre iba borracho y conducía de forma temeraria y sembrando el pánico en todo el pueblo, debéis haberos equivocado pues los dos nos llamamos igual-
    Entonces el ángel le contestó: -no hay equivocación ninguna, tú dedicastes tu vida a Dios pero en los últimos años tus sermones eran aburridos y los fieles que iban a la iglesia se quedaban dormidos. Mientras que el taxista que siempre iba borracho, como tú has dicho, ha conseguido que las personas que iban con él en su taxi le rezaran a Dios con una fé absoluta y recordaran a Dios con más intensidad que como tú lo hacías.-

1. Atreyu says:

Dios es amor, no hablar sobre amor sin pizca de el en el pecho.

Todo el mundo lo sabe, y sobre todo lo sienten.

Un saludo.

18. Ben says:

“Combati o bom combate, terminei a corrida, guardei a fé.”

19. Rahul says:

Sometimes when we have too much things in life and then suddenly we have nothing left, it feels so bad.