20 sec reading: Certainty and doubt

Buddha was gathered together with his disciples one morning, when a man came up to him:
‘Does God exist?’ he asked.
‘He does,’ replied Buddha.

After lunch, another man came up to him.
Does God exist?’ he asked.
‘No, he doesn’t,’ said Buddha.

Later that afternoon, a third man asked the same question: ‘Does God exist?’
‘That’s for you to decide,’ replied Buddha.

As soon as the man had gone, one of his disciples remarked angrily:
‘But that’s absurd, Master! How can you possibly give such different answers to the same question?’

‘Because they are all different people, and each one of them will reach God by his own path.
“The first man will believe what I say.
“The second will do everything he can to prove me wrong.
“The third will only believe in what he is allowed to choose for himself.’

Comments

1. eleonora says:

penso sia giusto,ognuno di noi deve trovare da solo le sue risposte.

2. Marcela Paz says:

Primero que nada buenas noches, agradezco al autor por permitir dar a una un espacio para comentar lo que uno lee.
    Una cosa es leer otra cosa es entender.
    Con respecto a lo que acabo de leer, parece que soy las tres personas al mismo tiempo. Me han dado las tres respeusta, en momento he creido en Dios, otras tantas veces niego su existencia, y otras tantas lo vuelvo a buscar nuevamente. Ojala llegue el día en que me decida.
    Marcela Paz de Punta Arenas, el confin del mundo.

3. augu says:

does not exist an exit leading away from GOD

4. Zara says:

Sometimes I do that also. When I was asked the same question of different people, rarely do I reply with the same answer from the first person who asked. I just don’t know why I do that, only now I realized I gave them freedom to choose, mine or their faith. Thanks for sharing this post. =)

5. I love the way this represents freedom of choice.

A multiple choice one with an answer for everyone according to different situations and circumstances.So simple and yet so true.
    I am bookmarking it. Thank you
    Love

1. Deepa says:

I work as a teacher..this story would be so useful for me in class..i can teach students how to think from another man’s perspective and most importantly how each one has to find his own path..thank you so much for putting it up