Accepting paradoxes

“It’s odd,” the warrior muses to himself. “I have met so many people who, at the first chance they get, try to show the worst of themselves. They hide their interior strength through aggressiveness and disguise the fear of solitude with an air of independence. They don’t believe in their own capacity but are always extolling their virtues to the four winds.”
The warrior reads these messages in many men and women he knows. He is never fooled by appearances and insists on remaining silent when others try to impress him. But he uses the opportunity to correct his flaws – since people are always a good mirror.
A warrior puts to good use every opportunity to teach himself and to admit his own contradictions.

Comments

1. marja says:

Very insightful Yes you learn a lot about yourself in how you react
    to others What bothers you the most might be something you don’t like about yourself

2. Nanci says:

That is it exactly. I think, at least for myself, it is that naked feeling of being vulnerable that sometimes makes me act like I’m more independent, like I’m tougher than I really am. It’s a form of protection, like the quills on a porcupine. And you’re right, at least in my case, that I don’t always believe in my own capabilities, that I have the aptitude or the potential to let go of the armour once in awhile and to just be my self.

I continue learning to be more open to all the possibilities, as well as to learn to admit my flaws and to find the courage to correct them.

There is a quote: The best defence is attack!!!= Η καλύτερη άμυνα είναι η επίθεση.
    This strategy is used by many insecure people. They want to hide their faults, inferiority complexes and insecurity under the hard mask of aggressiveness. Instead of seeing the Light in others they hide their own…
    But Jesus said: Do not hide your Light..
    LOVE,
    Thelma.

1. Anna Marie says:

True what you are saying dear Thelma, also control and manipulation, since the subject is about paradoxes, I’ll bring in a view to introduce contradiction. A warrior sometimes needs the quality of aggressiveness in battle, in which case, if he is defending his right, standing his ground, it is a tool one needs to have handy in battle. Unless you disagree, believing in the ideology of turn the other cheek. ‘People are always a good mirror’ this is brilliant dear Paulo, and I have found this to be true, smile at someone, they always smile back, this analogy is important to remember. Contradictions exist everywhere, and we must take delicate measures to access each situation and the best weapon to use.
      Thank you dear Paulo!
      Love,
      Anna Marie

Dear Anna Marie, thank you for your response! The ideology of ‘turning the other cheek’ and ‘love your enemy’ has many times made me wonder. ;-], me being a passionate person, with immediate response to the ‘environment’.. When I was a teenager a friend of mine was teasing me, that me reacting was like pressing a button.. Now with age and ‘acquired wisdom’ I have learnt ‘self-discipline’, self-mastering and that it is not necessary to draw our sword whenever a fly sits on it!! I also know that by sending waves of warmth and love we disarmed our enemies and we do not allow them to destroy our peace of mind. After all we ‘know’ that the evil energy returns to its sender, unless we vibrate on the same level.
      LOVE,
      Thelma.

3. Satora says:

I came upon this story this morning on the http://www…:

The Gift of Insults

There once lived a great warrior. Though quite old, he still was able to defeat any challenger. His reputation extended far and wide throughout the land and many students gathered to study under him.

One day an infamous young warrior arrived at the village. He was
      determined to be the first man to defeat the great master. Along with his strength, he had an uncanny ability to spot and exploit any weakness in an opponent. He would wait for his opponent to make the first move, thus revealing a weakness, and then would strike with merciless force and lightning speed. No one had ever lasted with him in a match beyond the first move.

Much against the advice of his concerned students, the old master gladly accepted the young warrior’s challenge. As the two squared off for battle, the young warrior began to hurl insults at the old master. He threw dirt and spit in his face. For hours he verbally assaulted him with every curse and insult known to mankind. But the old warrior merely stood there motionless and
      calm. Finally, the young warrior exhausted himself. Knowing he was
      defeated, he left feeling shamed.

Somewhat disappointed that he did not fight the insolent youth, the students gathered around the old master and questioned him. “How could you endure such an indignity? How did you drive him away?” – “If someone comes to give you a gift and you do not receive it,” the master replied, “to whom does the gift belong?”

With loving kindness,

Satora

4. Irina Black says:

People live in an imaginary world,but not in the Real One.And as imaginations differ,so people try to find the ‘language’ to understand each other.They try many ‘masks’ on to be closer to those,around.The Sight,Sound,Taste,Smell,Touch-just the right combination creates the unique individual language.We try again and again,until the right ‘Handwriting’ will be found.

5. Francesca Vaccaro says:

I am not always aware of my weaknesses. Even after many years of introspection, i sometimes find myself being (negatively) judgmental about someone’s behaviour and then suddenly I go “Hhhhhh…” because i have just realised that i occasionally behave exactly the same…live and learn :-)

I see me. Today after exam went to see my mark. The prof say come in, I tell you. I entered, and I saw a sad face. I did not expect much. He said, you got 8.20. I said ok, even if I knew I worked hard, I used new things, I was prepared. I said the theme was not the best? Than prof says look yourself , see, here is your 8.20. I look there, but saw 10.
    I say, but that is 10 here. The prof start laughing, me too, and said him that I almost had a shock and this is not the best joke. But good it was only a joke. Than he caring hold my back, laughing and wishing me the best. I saw again how much I lack faith, because he did a similar joke once,and than worst, he said I got 6. Instead I had the only 10 from all others students. Funny.
    Ohhh, the portrait fits me, but I fight with my fears. Just I still dont know how to do that in the best way.

1. Joshua says:

I’m not too sure how to navigate this website. I am currently enrolled in a Lit class in Arizona and have been assigned to read The Alchemist. As part of the test, I was told to go to this blog and post something in reply about the book. As I am lost and the test is timed, I will choose this paticular entry and tell you what I thought of the book, and what I think the meaning of the book is. I think the meaning of this story is “The grass always looks greener on the other side. ” The Shepard starts out living his dream of travel. He goes from town to town with his herd in Spain, with his only worries of how to keep his flock safe, and where he is going to sleep. He then has a dream that urges him to the Egypt. He goes to Morroco only to be robbed of the money he made selling his sheep to a man who urged him to go on this journey to find his treasure. Along the way he works at a Crystal shop and learns Arabic When he has enough money to buy double his previous herd and a license to import goods from Africa, he decides to go to Egypt instead of going home. Along the way he is captured by thieves, and put to the test to conjur magic. He does so, and finally gets to Egypt, where he is robbed by a man who says that his own treasure is in Spain. That’s when the Sheppard realizes his treasure has always been in Spain. He goes back to Spain with Fatima, and finds a treasure there. So the grass always looked greener, but his treasure was always back home. I guess he did learn the Crystal trade, Arabic, and how to conjur magic, so the journey made a better man of him.

7. Mari Ann says:

Yes, I’m very aware of my weaknesses. I will see if I can do something about it.

8. aditya says:

a wol is focused, always ? even when he is just taking rest, he is alert ?

a wol is focused primarily on himslef for both observations and refinements, with respect to others he is focused on observations. an unfocused focus , when one is alert towards everything?

love