1 MIN reading: I have learned

(This text, which I found on the Internet, is attributed to me . I did not write it, but I think worth reproducing here)

I’ve learned that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is be someone who can be loved. The rest is up to them;
I’ve learned that no matter how much I care, some people just don’t care back;
I’ve learned that it takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it.
I’ve learned that you can get by on charm, for about fifteen minutes. After that, you’d better know something;
I’ve learned that either you control your attitude or it controls you.
I’ve learned that no matter how hot and steamy a relationship is at first, the passion fades and there had better be something else to take it’s place.
I’ve learned that sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you’re downhill are the ones to help you get back up.
I’ve learned that sometimes when I’m angry I have the right to be angry.
I’ve learned that true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance. Same goes for true love.
I’ve learned that just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to doesn’t mean that they don’t love you with all they have.
I’ve learned that maturity had more to do with what types of experiences you’ve had and what you’ve learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you’ve celebrated.
I’ve learned that your family won’t always be there for you.
I’ve learned that no matter how good a friend is, they’re going to hurt you every once in a while.
I’ve learned that it isn’t always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to forgive yourself.
I’ve learned that no matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.
I’ve learned that our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
I’ve learned that just because two people argue, it doesn’t mean they don’t love each other. And just because they don’t argue, it doesn’t mean they do.
I’ve learned that we don’t have to change friends if we understand that friends change.
I’ve learned that two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.
I’ve learned that no matter how you try to protect your children, they will eventually get hurt and you will get hurt in the process.
I’ve learned that your life can be changed in a matter of hours by people who don’t even know you.
I’ve learned that it’s hard to determine where to draw the line between being nice and not hurting people’s feelings and standing up for what you believe.

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. premla says:

I’ve learnt that life is a jig saw puzzle ….the more you try to put the pieces in place they won’t fall in…but when the time is right everything will fall in place and that’s God doings

2. I’ve learned that even if the whole world can be against one person and everyone think that he’s wrong, including himself, he can still be right
    I’ve learned that God doesn’t forget anything, and that we only achieve our dreams by staying true to them
    and I’ve learned that everybody lies, and that people never change; they just go back to the way they were when they were children

3. Perah says:

My love made me read it … It was our first meeting and the time that we fell in love with each other .. but today we are apart and but i know we will be together soon Inshah’Allah … Love you Paulo Coelho … <3 .. Hats Off to whatever you write :)

4. dalia gamal says:

i’ve learned that to win u must learn how ur enemy is thinking.
    i’ve learned that not because ur acting like you will be me.
    i’ve learned that not to be happy with all those smiling faces there might be evil behind those smiles.
    i’ve learned that trust =freedom = reliefs= happiness

5. Tiina-Mari Andersson says:

I’ve learned to take responsibility for myself

6. carlos says:

I’eve learned that being loved is not enough, one has to love in return.
    I’ve learned that we all must cleanse our souls by crying.
    I’ve learned that we are not good or bad, we are good and bad.

7. Lars Berewinkel says:

I needed 7 min.!

8. Juvy says:

I’ve learned that when I’m hungry whatever the food is the taste becomes delicious. I’ve learned that being healthy and fit doesn’t mean not eating my favorite ice cream and chocolate. I’ve learned that in life you don’t only need to experience only good ones but, some bad ones too. I’ve learned that you can touch others peoples lives even if you don’t know them and they don’t know you. I’ve learned that life despite the hardship is still beautiful. I’ve learned that every human being has a goodness inside of them. Next, is wanted to learn to control my emotions, that part i haven’t learned yet.=)

9. Annie says:

I ‘ve learned that some travel in cyberspace
    and others in space…. and dreams come true…

viva Felix!

Love and Gratitude
    Annie

10. dalia says:

you are always inspiring me ,my soul

11. Cupcake says:

Wonderful thoughts and so true. The most important thing is to like and love yourself I feel. If you don’t, who will!!

12. Bianca says:

I learned by Octavian Paler

We have time …
    We have time for everything
    To sleep, or to be all over the place,
    To regret mistakes and do them again,
    To judge others and find excuses for ourselves,

We have time to read and write,
    To correct our writings, and regret what we wrote,
    We have time to make plans and never complete them,
    We have time to fantasize about impossible things
    and later on to look into the ashes of them.

We have time for ambitions and diseases,
    To blame fate and the details,
    We have time to watch the clouds, TV commercials and shocking news,
    We have time to not answer questions,
    To postpone the answers,
    We have time to kill a dream and recreate it later
    We have time to make friends, and lose them
    We have time to get lessons and forget them later on,
    We have time to get gifts and not understand them.
    We have time for everything.

But we don’t have time for a little kindness.
    When one does they are dying.

I learned some important things in my life and I would like to share them with you.
    I learned that you can not make somebody love you
    All you can do is to be a lovely person
    the rest … depends on others.
    I learned that it does not matter how much I care
    others don’t.
    I learned that it takes years to win somebody’s trust
    and it takes just a few seconds to lose it.
    I learned that doesn’t matter what you HAVE in life
    all that matters is with WHOM you have it
    I learned that in the first 15 min you can impress somebody by using your charm
    after that you have to come up with something smart.
    I learned that you don’t have to compare yourself with what other people are best at
    you have to find out what is your best
    I learned that it does not matter what happens to people
    what matters is what I can do to help.

I learned that each episode has two faces
    I learned you should part lovingly from those you love
    It may be the last time you have the opportunity to see that person

I learned that you can run a long time after you said that you are exhausted
    I learned that heroes are people who do the right thing
    when it is needed
    not caring about the consequences

I learned that there are people that love you
    but they do not know how to show it
    I learned that when I am upset I have the right to be upset
    but I do not have the right to be mean

I learned that you can have long distance friendships
    the same applies to love
    I learned that if somebody does not love you like you wish
    It does not mean he or she does not love you from the bottom of their heart
    He or she will occasionally hurt you
    And you will forgive it.

I learned that it is not enough to forgive others
    sometimes you have to forgive yourself
    I learned that regardless how much you are suffering
    the world will not stop
    I learned that your past can have an impact on your personality
    but you are responsible for what you are going to become
    I learned that, if two people get into a fight

it does not mean they do not love each other
    And the fact that they do not fight does not mean they love each other.
    I learned that sometimes you have to put the person first and not their actions
    I learned that two people can see different sides of the same incident
    I learned that indifferent of the consequences
    those who are honest with themselves are the winners in life
    I learned that your life can be changed by strangers in a few hours.
    I learned that when you think you have nothing to give
    your friend can call for help, and you will find the strength to help him

I learned that talking and writing can help to heal your pain.
    I learned that you spend too little time with people you love the most…

I learned that is very hard to know when to be nice
    so you do not hurt people but you still sustain your opinions

I learned to love so I can be loved in return

13. Chandana says:

Love is unconditional and happens without even thinking about it. You don’t realise when you want to give up every thing for the person. A vision , a sound , a look from him is all you care about ..,,.. But as I said it is beyond ones realisation there cannot be an assure if it will ever be reciprocated… Love is without expectation and without reasoning .,, you just love… Consequences not known…

14. Florence says:

I agree with all of them except the “friends will eventually hurt you”and the last one about being hard to know where to draw the line – very good truths otherwise, thanks for sharing :) x

15. karina says:

Eu aprendí que com Deus e o tempo tudo passa…
    Que nao há mal ou sofrimento que dure para sempre e que a melhor coisa da vida é a evolucao , a mudanca interior… E que foi através dos momentos mais tristes e dificeis da minha minha vida que me tornei uma pessoa melhor e maior…

1. elisabete says:

Sem dúvida. é para isso que andamos nesta sala de aula, tão grande, (mundo), onde somos tão pequeninos e aprendemos coisas tão grandes. É nas adversidades da vida que encontramos e nos apercebemos do nosso Eu (Deus) interior e a força que está dentro de nós. É uma aprendizagem fantástica.
      A felicidade não se compra, conquista-se.

16. Joelle says:

Quelque soit notre caractère nous ne pouvons plaire à tout lemonde . L’un ne ressemble pas à l’autre , on n’ attend pas forcément la même chose . L’important est de savoir ce que l’on veut, plaire aux autres afin de se faire plaisir , c’est le principal mais il vaut mieux s’aimersoi et n’attendre pas trop les autres pour éviter deles décevoir ou les contrarier . Lorsque nous empruntons le même chemin , chacun ne va pasà la même vitesse . Certains y vont en voiture, d’autres à pied ou par le train mais onne s’arrête pas forcément au même endroit . Quelquefois crtains prennnt lebus ou marchent à cloche-pied parce qu’ils sont heureux . Mais parfois , des chaises roulantes se balladent sur le bord de la route ou sur le trottoir . Non tout le mondene s’entend pas forcément sur la façon de conduire sa vie . On ne peut pas plaire à tout le monde . L’essentiel est de s’entendre sur certaines choses, se rencontrer pour parler de choses en commun . Nous devons trouver un terrain d’entente pour être les meilleurs amis mais nous ne pouvons pas éviter les petites contrariétés. Le boulanger vend du pain et plein de gâteaux mais chacun n’achète pas forcément le même un petit croissant ou un mille-feuille, ce n’est pas le même régal mais ils font plaisir au deux . C’est ainsi que va le monde .

17. Carlos Mariscal says:

Hola! Que tal? Soy mexicano viviendo en suiza y tengo que decirle que cuando me entra la nostalgia de mi tierra y mi gente, sólo tengo que leer un poco de de su trabajo y mi corazón se vuelve a llenar de alegría, siendo latinoamericano creo que todos somos una gran familia -es algo que que en verdad añoro de algún día volver a tener ( el calor de nuestra gente)

18. Sheena says:

I’ve learnt : In the end, YOU are all that You’ve got.

19. Kam says:

I’ve learned to follow the signs by letting my heart be my guide. This blog and your writings are incredible source of inspiration! Much love.

20. Kam says:

I’ve learned to follow the signs by letting your heart guide you. This blog, and your writings are an incredible source of inspiration. Much love.

21. sonu says:

so true

22. Ulyana says:

Your writing is always inspiring, Paulo. In this instance it’s your honesty that has inspired me.

23. Akila Iyer says:

Woow that was soo soo awesome…..

i loved the one on friendship, maturity and the last one Draw the line…

U made my day Mr Coelho

24. Flavia says:

This text is written by Octavian Paler, one of the best Romanian writers we have, and it’s called ”I’ve learned that…”

25. Darrell says:

I have learned that no matter how many times you stick your wrinkled dollar into the drink machine, you ‘re going to have to get a newer one if you want a soda. :-)

26. Zekarias Tilahun says:

Dear Paulo Coelho thank you for everything even though i don’t read your books thank you i wish one day i get the chance to read all your books, i always wish!!

27. raluca says:

Dear Paulo, the original text belongs to a romanian autor named Octavin Paler. :)

1. carlos says:

Thank you for giving us the author.

28. EVA says:

pues yo e aprendido a amarte por siempre mia coelho hermoso que dios te bendica atravez de la eternidad!!!!!!!

29. Елена says:

Dear Mr. Coelho!
    Thank you very much for your wonderful book.
    Thanks to them, I have started a completely different life. I can not say that I’m no longer afraid. No fear still remain, but I began to act. I used to work at a bank. Now I have a website http://reikiraduga.com and I have students. I am Reiki Master. And although so far it does not bring me any money, but I believe that I must do it.
    In my life a lot of changes. So I began to write and share their meditation on its own channel on YouTube
    Now recorded a meditation on the English language http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9aB4u-bexsA. And all this happened because I believed in myself. Thanks to your books and words of wisdom. Let I make mistakes, but I believe that I am on the right track.
    I very grateful to you. I believe that the universe is helping me in the performance of my dreams
    I hope that one day my dream and I’ll meet you at your meetings.
    I am from Western Ukraine. I live near the mountains – the Carpathians, in the beautiful city of Ivano-Frankivsk.
    Thank you for changing lives for the better. Thank you for helping to believe in themselves.
    With best wishes Elena Kudina.

30. Sheela Nandini says:

I have learned that no matter that you are speaking from the heart (and this has nothing to do with Sunday afternoons) some thoughts just won’t get approved on this blog :(

Love
    sheela

31. eleonora says:

Ho imparato che a volte quando sono arrabbiato ho il diritto di essere arrabbiato.
    ho imparato che la vera amicizia continua a crescere, anche oltre la distanza più lunga. Lo stesso vale per il vero amore. Ho imparato che ho ancora tanto da imparare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Sue says:

I used part of this as my “Thought of the Day” on my site, http://www.doingcolorado.com yesterday. I also quote Paulo frequently. He is always wise and inspiring…

33. wish says:

I have learned distance doesn’t always mean far an near doesn’t mean always close.
    I have learned knowing everything doesn’t make someone superior. and most important thing i have learned is to smile cos every time you do the whole world smile with you, so people smile