20 SEC READ: Writing (ENG, ESPA, PORT)

ESPANOL AQUI–> El acto de escribir

PORTUGUES AQUI –> O ato de escrever

“There are two types of writers: those who make you think and those who make you dream” says Brian Aldiss, who made me dream for such a long time with his science-fiction books. In principle I believe that every human being on this planet has at least one good story to tell his neighbor. What follows are my reflections on some important items in the process of creating a text:

Above all else, the writer has to be a good reader. The kind that sticks to academic texts and does not read what others write (and here I’m not just talking about books but also blogs, newspaper columns and so on) will never know his own qualities and defects.

So, before starting anything, look for people who are interested in sharing their experience through words. I’m not saying: “look for other writers”. What I say is: find people with different skills, because writing is no different from any other activity that is done with enthusiasm.

Your allies will not necessarily be those that everyone looks on with admiration and says: “there’s nobody better”. It’s very much the opposite: it’s people who are not afraid of making mistakes, and yet they do make mistakes. That is why their work is not always recognized. But that’s the type of people who change the world, and after many mistakes they manage to get something right that will make all the difference in their community.

These are people who cannot sit around waiting for things to happen before they decide on the best way to narrate them: they decide as they act, even knowing that this can be very risky.

Living close to these people is important for writers, because they need to understand that before putting anything down on paper, they should be free enough to change direction as their imagination wanders. When a sentence comes to an end, the writer should tell himself: “while I was writing I traveled a long road. Now I can finish this paragraph in the full awareness that I have risked enough and given the best of myself.”

The best allies are those who don’t think like the others. That’s why, while you are looking for your companions, trust your intuition and don’t pay any attention to others’ remarks. People always judge others using the model of their own limitations – and at times the opinion of the community is full of prejudices and fears.

Join those who have never said: “it’s finished, I have to stop here”. Because just as winter is followed by spring, nothing comes to an end: after reaching your objective, you have to start again, always using all that you have learnt on the way.

Join those who sing, tell stories, enjoy life and have happiness in their eyes. Because happiness is contagious and always manages to keep people from being paralyzed by depression, loneliness and troubles.

And tell your story, even if it’s only for your family to read.

Comments

1. Maria says:

Boa tarde Guerreiro amado!

Acabei de ver q vc vai lançar um livro com adaptações das fábulas de Esopo !! =)
    Amei!! Louca pra comprar, amo fábulas, adaptadas por vc então, uau.
    Qdo li resolvi te mostrar uns textos q escrevi sobre fábulas. Meu blog está fechado faz tempo. Resolvi mostrar a vc pq tem a ver com o seu livro de fabulas, abri pra vc ler :), se um dia tiver um tempo, espero q goste.

Vou deixar uns links diretos

Esse escrevi depois d ler uma entrevista q vc deu ao Financial Times :

Bjs

Q Nossa Senhora te proteja e cubra de bençãos.
    Deus te ilumine

2. Ronda Rutar says:

Because the old saying goes, inside the professional’s mind there aren’t many alternatives, but for an individual possessing a novice’s mind, the world is open up.

3. Lintang says:

From the second i red this post, i know that i’m the kind of person you meant. The ones that believe in themselves and do not look into others direction.
    People really can’t tell me what to do. It’s really rather i want to do it in my own way, or i won’t do it. That’s exactly what got on others nerves.
    ‘Why can’t you be more-? Why won’t you-? Can you-?’ and everytime they asked me these kinds of questions, all ever do is just smiled and continue on my works.
    Simple. It’s me. Take it or leave it.
    You can’t expect me to follow your path because in the end we would have to make our own paths, and if we don’t want to get lost, it’s better just to learn making our own way out of everything from the very beginning.
    I was once a person whom you may call as ‘obidient’. I follow the rules and the paths people given to me, and therefore they came to LIKE telling me what to do. My friends used me. That is the harsh part of my life’s truth.
    And then i came into a state where i cannot stand only to be used, i want justice. And therefore, i changed. To be more dependent on my own self, and never to expect anyone can come up and giving me hint about life.
    Because really, life is the reflection of your own mind, and your thoughts.
    If your thoughts are being thrown out or would not be heard even if only by your own self, then wouldn’t that meant that you have no life?
    Well, dare the world to be different! Because i think that what it really needs is not an A+ in your report card, just the ways to solve the problems. And if you’re keep looking from the same prespective, you will never get any answer to all of your questions.
    I want to stand out. True. I think that as long as we stand out, no matter if it’s because of what people see in us, whether it’s good or bad, the main importance of standing out is that you would have to believe in yourself.
    And therefore, making others believe in you.
    After all, life is just like cooking. It can never be right or wrong, and the taste of the dish itself is the reflection of one’s inside.
    In the alchemist it was said that ‘many people see the world as a threatening place, and because they do, the world turn out to be so’
    So true. And i believe that our opinions, our words, and our actions, are the ones that affecting this world. So i believe if i cannot make my own way out of things, i would have no world and no life in return. :)

4. Sir . All other do visit my blog because I dare to write

thanks

5. Juno says:

Any author who can speak of reality as if it were magical and a dream as if it were within your reach is HOT in my book. They are the walking treasures of this earth. Cherish them.

6. Pj says:

Dear Paulo,

Thank you very much for all the encouragements and inspiration you’re giving to me and to the world through your writings, I’m glad to live this time which someone like you exist. You inspire me too much, and i realized how much i love to write, and believe i can write too. That the dream of spreading love to world is possible. Because as all those great men of the past said, love understands all languages, that human reality is one because we are created and fashioned by and from One Creator.

God Bless you always Mr. Paulo..

Love
    Pj

7. Pansy Radway says:

Think of the following example, if you had to always remember exactly how to walk you would probably not be able to think of anything else, but without the knowledge to walk you will, well be unable to walk. So instead of relearning how to walk every day and instead of knowing how to walk as a conscious thought, our minds store the information in the subconscious.

1. DGr says:

Hmmmm…

8. Gerda says:

Release your inside animal,
    Don’t cage it any longer,
    It doesn’t matter if it’s big or small,
    It can make you feel a whole lot stronger,
    A close encounter with your primal surrounder,
    is all you need,
    Just feel and sense, break down that fence,
    and let it run of free,
    It is as free as talking to the trees,
    it can set your mind at ease,
    Just face it and look it in the eyes,
    It may be wild but it’s really nice,
    Dare to try it out yourself sometime :)

This is a lyric i wrote 4 years ago,
    after going to castlefest,
    medieval music and food fstival in Lisse,
    It just came out as a tornado,
    best regards,
    Gerda

9. Jojo says:

Don’t forget to write
    Don’t forget to dance
    Don’t forget to speak
    Dont’t forget to listen
    Don’t forget to laugh
    Dont’t forget to cry with the other
    Don’t forget to give
    Don’t forget to receive
    Dont’t forget to love
    And above all, don’t forget to Be!

Love, Jojo.

10. Dear Paulo and WoL,

Here is one article which says much about you and your writing…

You really rock Paulo and keep inspiring all of us. :)

Thank you !

11. lata sharma says:

love u dear for what u write.

1. jeetendra sharma says:

thats the strength of words which oblige us to love.

12. Marielle says:

Especially love the last sentence

“And tell your story, even if it’s only for your family to read.”

Love

13. Shogo Onoe says:

Thanks for encouraging me to continue walking on my own road. Your writing has the power to give courage to dreamers who follow their unique destiny.

14. Anasatia Sundarela says:

writing … helping me free …
    Thank you for always inspiring me, Mr. Coelho ..

15. Monica says:

I am so glad to be “weird” like some people at work call me…it’s good to have dreams and carry them out…it’s good to follow the call when it comes and the outcome feels great!!!

I loved your post!!! it’s wonderfun knowing there are other people in the world who strive to be different!!!

Love and light

Monica

16. Ayanda says:

What a moving post!

I’ve been struggling with my writing of late and this has really helped me to center me again. Thanks, as always, Paulo!

17. Annie says:

the sign says ‘don’t forget to write’ and i add ” don’t forget to write/say/sing ‘I love you’ to those that you love”…
    [paulocoelho on Twitter: Life is short. There is no time to leave important words unsaid.]

i believe what anyone writes are words unsaid.. every art when it is sincere are expression of words unsaid..maybe it is words unsaid by you or by God through you coming as an answer to questions unanswered, because God’s kingdom is in you…
    the talented ones prefer to use their art to talk.. they have no other choice.. they can’t express what they want and in the way they want by saying it, but with their books or poems or songs or paintings or….

LOVE and Gratitude
    Annie

18. hay,i’m so happy when i find this blog. i’m one of your reader in Indonesia. i love your book, especially Alchemist. this book have a power that can make me want to struggle to reach my dream, like santiago…i hope one day, we can meet and you can teach me how to write same like you..

warmest regards

19. Mille says:

Mi Bello

20. Arvin Mendoza says:

i have always been a biggest fan of you, Mr. Paulo. I’m an active reader and also an aspiring writer. I thank you for all those things that you share with us readers. You never fail to feed our souls with the wisdom of the world. Your words never fail to inspire me.

21. Marie says:

Dear Paulo, I’m very touched by your post.
    For the family, you want to say the one that one chosen ?
    So, the photo is surprising!…Because of the reflections in the window, you have the longer beard and another face, amazing not ? :)

Light & Love,

22. Yvette Carol says:

I have to thank my sister Jaguar for sharing this blog with me. My heart squeezes with happiness reading your words Paul!!!! This is pure water for my thirsty soul. It couldn’t be more what I needed to hear right now, so I thank you and love you for it. God bless you in all your work. And keep writing, keep sharing with us, because we weary writers of the world need you :-) xx Yvette Carol

23. Tina halevi says:

The spirit has a voice and just like the physical voice, needs to be heard. One way in which the spiritual voice can be heard is through the vehicle of the written word. The written word can sing like the sweetest bird, laugh like the happiest child, weep with no hope of consolation. In other words, the written word can express all the unlimited complexity of human emotions. This is the beauty of the written word. I am truly indebted to you and the other writers who have crossed my path, for using this vehicle to take me on my journey into my own spirit and to find the courage to find and use my own spiritual voice.
    Tina halevi

24. El neno says:

Let me be a word of thruth
    Let me be a man for humanity
    Let me see the Politics
    Let me see what i can do
    Let me work for the people
    Let me work for the future
    Let me

1. El neno says:

Run run thru the world
      run run thru destiny
      run run run away to a place where u can get ahead
      run to the mind run think think
      Figure out you have run but still stock

25. kumudni singh says:

thank you so much sir for giving to us a power by which we dream and do our work.

26. Jenny says:

HI!
    I prefer the writers who make you dream! But then again this intuitional choice makes me think about the principle of balance – is it possible to combine thinking and dreaming? Living in a world that forces you to be rational, to think and re-think each every step I doubt it! But in the world of fiction? SO many tend to feel antagonized by this world, tend to exlclude rationality wherever and whenever that is possible.Then again there are others who need the security of a completely plannable life, who would die if someone took away their organized world from them.
    You inspired so many people not to give up the search for their path, to make their own pilgrimage – I am one of those. Some of them might even right it down – just for the fun of it!

27. thank you so much for the inspiration!

28. Marcin says:

Amazing that we can read your blog and interact with you! It is like meeting and talking with you face to face. Thanks!