“To God: How did you get invented?”

I found in Keithpp’s Blog this very interesting entry:

A non-believer who sends his six-year-old daughter Lulu to a Scottish church primary school.
Her teachers asked her to write the following letter: “To God, How did you get invented?”
The Rentons were taken aback: “We had no idea that a state primary affiliated with a church would do quite so much God,” says her father.
He chose emailing her letter to the Scottish Episcopal Church (no reply), the Presbyterians (ditto) and the Scottish Catholics (a nice but theologically complex answer).
For good measure, he also sent it to “the head of theology of the Anglican Communion, based at Lambeth Palace” (Archbishop Rowan ) “and this was the response:

“Dear Lulu:

Nobody invented me – but lots of people discovered me and were quite surprised.

They discovered me when they were very very quiet on their own and felt a sort of peace and love they hadn’t expected.

Then they invented ideas about me – some of them sensible and some of them not very sensible.

From time to time I sent them some hints “specially in the life of Jesus” to help them get closer to what I’m really like.

But there was nothing and nobody around before me to invent me.

Rather like somebody who writes a story in a book, I started making up the story of the world

and eventually invented human beings like you who could ask me awkward questions!”

Online Bookstore HERE
Kindle (four languages) HERE

Comments

1. Keith says:

Thanks Paulo for re-publishing this lovely true story.

And for the kind responses with everyone.

Last week I was with the former Abbot of Alton Abbey, a Benedictine Order, like Melk. He talked of prayer, that it is a two-way process, about forming a relationship.

For a deep meta-physical discussion of the nature of God, with many awkward questions asked, please read The Shack.

2. Jenn says:

Some people always mistake talking about (or to) God in a more personal way as a blasphemous act.

But (thank God!) Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury is different.

3. Shreya Damani says:

hahhaa.. nice one! :) love you God :*

4. kealan says:

I like this story because it reflects that when a child reaches out in wonder, sometimes taking a few turns to get there, somebody is able to answer back with a reasonable answer.

5. Nigel says:

The best answer I found about who is God and why he is invisible is in this video:

God In 10,000 Things:

I believe if the child (or the theologian) saw this, they’d have a better understanding of the mystery that baffles us all.

Love to Paolo and all.

1. Steve L.Linhat says:

Nigel this moved my heart so much I posted it on my Facebook profile. Thank you from my heart to yours for incredible faith and gift of sharing “Why God is invisible?” May God’s blessings continue enrich our lives, journeys and spirits. Peace my fellow believer, Steve

2. Maria says:

God is the 10,000 friends I have in Facebook, Friendster, My Space, Multiply and so much more. :)

Thank you for sharing, Nigel. I am blessed. :)

6. solo yo says:

to YES MAN. Sorry to hear you have lost your faith in God. He is truly there. Although we may feel he is not many times over. He is there. At the right time he will make his move and we, if we are patient, will know then and understand that he was always there.

7. coolguy1609 says:

God is a huge jigsaw puzzle and each one of us knows a different piece… Put them all together and you’ll get a better picture!!!

Love

8. Doris says:

Rosemarie said: Give us a little bit of your God.

9. Mark says:

God you’re beautiful
    Are you listening or am I
    Talking to myself…

1. barbara says:

He is listening:)

2. Mark says:

Yes…and She is talking to Herself LoveM:)

10. Mark says:

We invented God… to be Good… to us

11. Yes Man says:

Just lost my faith in god. And this letter doesn’t help in getting my faith back.

12. Jessica G says:

He he so funny answer …. invented people like you asking awkward questions *LOL*

13. Njay says:

Simple yet powerful!!!

14. CarmenMaria says:

That is a lovely and clever story. Thanks for sharing.

With Love

15. E MacGregor says:

What a load of nonsense. (The response that is)

16. HECTOR says:

CUANDO YO FUI NINO MIS PADRES ME HABLABAN DE DIOS QUE EL HABIA HECHO EL MUNDO. PERO PARA MI EL MUNDO SOLO ERA LA ALDEA DONDE VIVIA RODEADA DE CERROS Y EL SOL SALIA EN EL ORIENTE Y ESCONDIA EN EL PONIENTE. POCO A POCO FUI ENTENDIENDO QUE ERA MAS Y MAS GRANDE HASTA ADMIRAR AHORA LO INMENSO QUE ES EL INFINITO UNIVERSO. [
    GRANDIOSO DIOS POR ESA HERMOSA OBRA.

17. Izabel says:

Goethe once said, “God created man so that he could have a conversation with creation” Beautiful thought. I was speaking to one of my students last night…helping her study for a religion exam. We spent more time discussing this very topic…how did God come to be? What amazed me most was the questioning of a 13 year old; how deep and profound her questions and responses were.She began to ponder whether all we had been taught was true or whether thousands of years of prophets had misunderstood the message (in her 21st century mind, she wondered whether they were merely hearing voices!) My response: “You were given a mind to question, even the existence of that which created all life. In this way, you know God speaks to you.” We do a misjustice to our young: Faith and questioning brings them closer to spirit, not the teaching of religion as fact xx

18. marie-christine says:

it’s the closest to the truth I have ever heard,
    Pleasing.

“Pour Dieu – Comment as- tu ete invente?”

J’ai trouve dans le blog de Keith cet article tres interessant:

Un non-croyant qui envoie sa fille de six ans Lulu dans une Ecole Primaire de l’Eglise Ecossaise.

Ses professeurs lui ont demande d’ecrire la lettre suivante :

“Pour Dieu – Comment as-tu ete invente.”

Les Rentons furent etonnes :”Nous n’avions aucune idee qu’une ecole primaire gouvernementale affiliee avec une eglise parlerait autant de Dieu” dit le pere.

Il decida d’envoyer un courriel a l’Eglise Epispocale Ecossaise (pas de reponse), les Presbyteriens (idem) et les Catholiques Ecossais (une reponse legale mais theologiquement complexe).

Pour bonne mesure, il decida de l’envoyer au “Siege de la Theologie de la Communion Anglicane, base a Lambeth Palace (Archeveque Rowan) et voici la reponse :

Chere Lulu,

Personne ne m’a invente – mais beaucoup de personnes m’ont decouvertes et furent tres surprises -

Elles m’ont decouvertes lorsqu’elles ont regarde le monde et ont pense que c’etait tres beau ou tres mysterieux et se sont demandees d’ou il venait.

Elles m’ont decouvertes lorsqu’elles etaient dans l’intimite et ont ressenti une sorte de paix et d’amour qu’elles n’attendaient pas.

Puis elles ont invente des idees sur moi – certaines d’entre elles raisonnables et d’autres moins raisonnables -

De temps en temps je leur envoie quelques indices – en particulier sur la vie de Jesus – pour les aider de se rapprocher de ce que je suis vraiment.

Mais il n’y avait rien et personne autour de moi avant pour m’inventer.

Un peu comme quelqu’un qui ecrit une histoire dans un livre, j’ai commence a mettre en pages l’histoire du monde et eventuellement j’ai invente les etres humains , comme toi qui pourraient me demander des questions difficiles.”

20. kamy says:

What boggles my mind the most is not how God or the universe was created; i’m so comfortable with uncertainties but rather how HATRED was created? This last question just blocks my mind and sends me back and forth to places I don’t like to revisit.
    I don’t understand!

21. I truly believe God answer! (inventing some humans to write the response)

22. jnana says:

What a cute story!

23. Appu says:

Maybe God wish was to open a school to teach students. And the first school was opened later named as Earth by students.

24. Irina Black says:

ГОРЕ
    Разноуровневое общение ТОГО,
    Кто знает всё,
    С тем,кто не знает ТОГО,
    Кто знает всё.

25. Di says:

I can relate to the first two- about the world being beautiful and mysterious and this making one think of a maker. Also, I have felt His love, especially when I have been down and alone.

26. Mike Hopkins says:

Hello:

That was a good respond to the little ones question. A better question maty have been, “Who invented the Scottish Church?” or perhaps who invented religion:

Here is a lovely native song to perhaps take you a bit closer to the Source and perhaps we may forget our need to ask silly questions. Unless, you speak Sami you can only feel it and if you can, you will be touched:

Take care,
    Mike

1. Sheela nandini says:

Dear Mike,
      It IS indeed a lovely song-thank you for sharing it here.And yes,I FELT it.
      Read your comments on your blog-so true-first they send the priests and then the armies…

Take care,

Love and hugs,
      sheela

2. Mike Hopkins says:

Hello Sheela:

Thank you for your kind words and the love & hugs. That was a very kind gesture.

My best wishes for what you will,
      Mike

3. Sheela nandini says:

You are very welcome and thank you for your kind wishes,dear Mike:) And I really would like to go through your blog at length.

Love and hugs,
      sheela

4. Clara Z says:

Thank you for the beautiful video.

The heart speaks all languages…

Let the eagle spread its wings,
      the wind caress your face and the sun remind you that you are alive.

All the best

27. barbara says:

Evolution or creation ? Who knows how long was a day for God? It might have been million years, maybe the time for God was different than for us…

28. barbara says:

Dear Mr.Coelho,

What a nice way to tell a child about God, and with a touch of humor. Kids always ask and want to know so much but we adults sometimes don’t know how to tell them, so they understand:) Thank you for sharing, this is a nice one:)

Love always

29. Tarek says:

Al Hallaj says about God:

“Before” does not outstrip Him,
    “after” does not interrupt Him
    “of” does not vie with Him for precedence
    “from” does not accord with Him
    “to” does not join with Him
    “in” does not inhabit Him
    “when” does not stop Him
    “if” does not consult with Him
    “over” does not overshadow
    Him “under” does not support Him
    “opposite” does not face Him
    “with” does not press Him
    “behind” does not limit Him
    “previous” does not display Him
    “after” does not cause Him to pass away
    “all” does not unite Him
    “is” does not bring Him into being
    “is not” does not deprive Him from Being.
    Concealment does not veil Him
    His pre-existence preceded time,
    His being preceded non-being,
    His eternity preceded limit.
    If thou sayest ‘when’,
    His existing has outstripped time;
    If thou sayest ‘before’, before is after Him;
    If thou sayest ‘he’, ‘h’ and ‘e’ are His creation;
    If thou sayest ‘how’, His essence is veiled from description;
    If thou sayest ‘where’, His being preceded space;
    If thou sayest ‘ipseity’ (ma huwa),
    His ipseity (huwiwah) is apart from things.
    Other than He cannot
    be qualified by two (opposite) qualities at
    one time; yet With Him they do not create opposition.
    He is hidden in His manifestation,
    manifest in His concealing.
    He is outward and inward,
    near and far; and in this respect He is
    removed beyond the resemblance of creation.
    He acts without contact,
    instructs without meeting,
    guides without pointing.
    Desires do not conflict with Him,
    thoughts do not mingle with Him:
    His essence is without qualification (takyeef),
    His action without effort (takleef).

Arberry, A.J., The Doctrine of the Sufis,

1. Mike Hopkins says:

Hello Tarek:

Oh, those practical and wise Sufi Masters.

Thanks for that one.

Kindest regards,
      Mike

30. Heart says:

Evolution or Creation theories, or both. I say Alchemy, because I see so many golden hearts here.

31. Heimo Kruschinski says:

A wonderful story. I have already read some time ago. It reminds me of another story. A good friend sent me. Unfortunately, I do not know the author ..

Lunch with God

A little boy wanted to meet God. He grabbed some cans of coke and chocolate bars in his rucksack and set out on the road. In a park, he saw an old woman sitting on a bench and watched the pigeons.
    The boy sat down beside her and opened his backpack. When he wanted to get a Coke, he saw the hungry look in his neighbor. He took out a chocolate bar and gave it to the woman. Thankfully, she smiled at him – a wonderful smile! To see that smile again offered her the boy drink a coke. She took it and smiled again, more radiant than before. So the two sat in the park all afternoon, ate candy bars and drinking Coke. They spoke not a word. As it grew dark, the boy wanted to go home. After a few steps he stopped, walked back and hugged the woman. The gave him for her very best smile.
    “What have you done today for beautiful, that you look so happy “: At home, he asked his mother, the boy replied: “I have eaten lunch with God – and she has a wonderful smile! ”
    The old woman had gone home where, her son asked her why she looked so happy. She replied: “I have eaten lunch with God – and he is much younger than I thought.”

I wish you all a wonderful day

1. barbara says:

so cute:)

2. jose vicente espinosa muñoz says:

Hermoso

3. barbara says:

what is hermoso? Oh yes, it is beautiful story! Eu concordo !

4. Heimo Kruschinski says:

Thank you both.

A wonderful day

32. Thankyou Keith and Paulo,

I love Archbishop Rowan’s reply, and that he wrote back (so touching).
    And wondering what little Lulu’s thoughts were?

Maybe sometimes we forget that god is everywhere.
    The wonder of it all, beautiful and mysterious!

Love, hugs and a great big smile xo

33. … and one more thing: It may be so hard to love without conditions and to be thankful for all the beautiful people we are blessed with in our lives but when the time comes, we’ll have to go alone from here, so lets make the best of all WE HAVE!

1. elixir43 says:

..yes, its really hard to love unconditionally.
      Lucky are the people who are blessed with this form of love…the purest form of love.
      And the experience of pure love is the most beautiful one when one truly feels the presence of God.
      Regards.

34. “Nobody invented me – but lots of people discovered me and were quite surprised.” So I was…. when first time I heard that HE exists and is watching over us, all. Isn’t it this beautiful to know that WE ARE NEVER .. ALONE? “

Indeed… how did You get “invented” ?

36. Sheela nandini says:

Lucky Lulu:)

Wondering what transpired next?Reactions from Lulu,her parents and teachers?

Thank you Keith,and Paulo for sharing!And Archbishop Rowan for writing that sweet letter to a 6 yr old on behalf of God:)

Loved the last line.

Love,
    sheela

37. Jayeeta says:

10 sec reading:
    Man “Please God give me everything that I can enjoy my life.”

God “I have given u life to enjoy everything.”

1. Breda says:

I love this quote!!
      Thanks

38. Olta Canka says:

” Même si Dieux n’existait pas, il fallait l’inventer.” Voltaire

1. I says:

“Si Dieu n’existait pas,il faudrait l’inventer”

Merci

39. Gabriela says:

Thank you Paulo for posting this! And keithpp’s for the same!

We really need to have faith, God is not in one single Church, is everywhere, primarily in ourselves, our soul has all the answers, if we just listen to the soul, God always replies, but we also have a Mind and a Body, thats why we need physical evidences, or written replies, not because God was invented by us, who believe, but because we chose to comunicate that way with him.

40. Gabriela says:

Thank you Paulo for posting this! And keithpp’s for the same!

We really need to have faith, God is not in one single Church, is everywhere, primarily in ourselves, our soul has all the answers, if we just listen to the soul, God always replies, but we also have a Mind and a Body, thats why we need physical evidences, or written replies, not because God was invented by us, who believe God.

41. payal says:

very interesting…

42. Breda says:

Rowans reply is creative offering an open ended response rather than a ‘correct answer’
    His interpretation could lead Lulu to become more curious and develope her own answer eventually.

‘They discovered me when they looked round at the world and thought it was really beautiful or really mysterious and wondered where it came from.’

Rowans’ words flow ..its like he paints a picture for us to interpret

Love