Stories & Reflections
According to a well-known Zen story, Lao Shi asked his master, Wang Tei:
– What must I do to be closer to God?
Wang Tei told him to follow him high up onto a mountain, There, he took a candle from his bag and gave it to his disciple to light. Lao Shi tried several times, in vain.
– It is too windy, I can’t light it.
– But it’s not windy three kilometers away from here.
– What use is that? I’d need to walk all that way, to light the candle where there is no wind.
– Similarly, in order to ligth the flame of God within you, stop the windmills of your mind – replied Wang Thei.