Looking for Paulo Coelho quotes from some of his most popular books? Here are some of our favorite! Enjoy!
Born on 24 August 1947, Paulo Coelho de Souza is a Brazilian lyricist and novelist who’s best known for his international bestselling book, ‘The Alchemist’, the story of a young man traveling the world, searching for purpose, love and adventure.
Paulo Coelho quotes are filled with wisdom and practical advice, whether you’re looking for a new career, ending a relationship or trying to figure out what the next step should be.
You can find Paulo Coelho quotes all over the web, but the purpose of this post is to let his words of love and inspiration motivate you to let go, move on, and rise up!
Make sure to leave a comment and share this with a friend!
More Power To You!
Paulo Coelho Quotes from The Alchemist and his other books about life, adventure and love
1. Be Brave. Take Risks. Nothing can substitute experience. – Paulo Coelho
2. “People want to change everything and, at the same time want it all to remain the same.” – Paulo Coelho
3. “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.” – Paulo Coelho
4. “You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his personal legend. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t a true love…The love that speaks the language of the world.” – Paulo Coelho
5. “If you want to see a rainbow you have to learn to see the rain.” – Paulo Coelho
6. “Tears are words that need to be written.” – Paulo Coelho
7. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
8. “It takes huge effort to free yourself from memory.” – Paulo Coelho
9. “When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.” – Paulo Coelho
10. “Waiting hurts. Forgetting hurts. But not knowing which decision to take can sometimes be the most painful.” – Paulo Coelho
11. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.”– Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho Quotes About Love
12. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”– Paulo Coelho
13. “Passion makes a person stop eating, sleeping, working, feeling at peace. A lot of people are frightened because, when it appears, it demolishes all the old things it finds in its path. No one wants their life thrown into chaos.
That is why a lot of people keep that threat under control, and are somehow capable of sustaining a house or a structure that is already rotten. They are the engineers of the superseded. Other people think exactly the opposite: they surrender themselves without a second thought, hoping to find in passion the solutions to all their problems.
They make the other person responsible for their happiness and blame them for their possible unhappiness. They are either euphoric because something marvelous has happened or depressed because something unexpected has just ruined everything.
Keeping passion at bay or surrendering blindly to it – which of these two attitudes is the least destructive? I don’t know.”
– Paulo Coelho
14. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – Paulo Coelho
15. “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”– Paulo Coelho
16. “But love is always new. Regardless of whether we love once, twice, or a dozen times in our life, we always face a brand-new situation. Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere. We simply have to accept it, because it is what nourishes our existence.
If we reject it, we die of hunger, because we lack the courage to stretch out a hand and pluck the fruit from the branches of the tree of life. We have to take love where we find it, even if that means hours, days, weeks of disappointment and sadness.
– Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho quotes on love and family
17. The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us. And to save us.” Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
17. “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”– Paulo Coelho
18. “Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”– Paulo Coelho
19. “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.”– Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho quotes love and writing
20. “We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal.
We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”
– Paulo Coelho
21. “A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.”– Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho quotes on dreams and learning
22. “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”– Paulo Coelho
23. “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.”– Paulo Coelho
24. “Choosing a path meant having to miss out on others. She had a whole life to live, and she was always thinking that, in the future, she might regret the choices she made now. “I’m afraid of committing myself,” she thought to herself. She wanted to follow all possible paths and so ended up following none.
Even in that most important area of her life, love, she had failed to commit herself. After her first romantic disappointment, she had never again given herself entirely. She feared pan, loss, and separation.
These things were inevitable on the path to love, and the only way of avoiding them was by deciding not to take that path at all. In order not to suffer, you had to renounce love. It was like putting out your own eyes not to see the bad things in life.”Brida
Paulo Coelho quotes on fear
25. “When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.”– Paulo Coelho
26. “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.– Paulo Coelho
27. “And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”– Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho quotes on love and happiness
28. “After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn’t bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it’s a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it’s sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we’re doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.” Paulo Coelho
29. “Intuition is really a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life.” ? Paulo Coelho
30. “Human beings can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of homelessness, but not loneliness. It is the worst of all tortures, the worst of all sufferings.” ? Paulo Coelho
31. “Joy is sometimes a blessing, but it is often a conquest. Our magic moment help us to change and sends us off in search of our dreams. Yes, we are going to suffer, we will have difficult times, and we will experience many disappointments — but all of this is transitory it leaves no permanent mark. And one day we will look back with pride and faith at the journey we have taken.” ? Paulo Coelho
32. “Everyone believes the world’s greatest lie…” says the mysterious old man.
“What is the world’s greatest lie?” the little boy asks.
The old man replies, “It’s this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
? Paulo Coelho
33. “Before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we’ve learned as we’ve moved toward that dream. That’s the point at which most people give up. It’s the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one ‘dies of thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon.” Paulo Coelho
Paulo Coelho quotes on life
34. “This time I m not going to tell you a story. I’ll just say that insanity is the inability to communicate your ideas. It’s as if you were in a foreign country, able to see and understand everything that’s going on around you but incapable of explaining what you need to know or of being helped, because you don’t understand the language they speak there.” Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
35. “Even if it is only for a matter of moments, because those moments bring with them a Love so intense that it justifies the rest of our days.” Paulo Coelho, Brida
36. “This was the kiss I had waited for so long – a kiss born by the river of our childhood, when we didn’t yet know what love meant. A kiss that had been suspended in the air as we grew, that had traveled in the world in the souvenir of a medal, and that had remained hidden behind piles of books. A kiss that had been lost and now was found. In the moment of that kiss were years of searching, disillusionment and impossible dreams.” Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
37. “All religions lead to the same God, and all deserve the same respect. Anyone who chooses a religion is also choosing a collective way for worshipping and sharing the mysteries. Nevertheless, that person is the only one responsible for his or her actions along the way and has no right to shift responsibility for any personal decisions on to that religion.” Paulo Coelho, Like the Flowing River
Paulo Coelho Quotes from The Alchemist and other books
38. “When I experienced humiliation and yet kept on walking, I understood that I was free to choose my destiny. Perhaps there’s something wrong with me, I don’t know, perhaps my marriage was a dream I couldn’t understand while it lasted.
All I know is that even though I can live without her, I would still like to see her again, to say what I never said when we were together: I love you more than I love myself. If I could say that, then I could go on living, at peace with myself, because that love has redeemed me.”
? Paulo Coelho, The Zahir
39. “Dreams are the language of God.” Paulo Coelho
40. “Most people see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place.” Paulo Coelho
41. “Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible. Learning is making it possible for yourself.” Paulo Coelho
42. “Pain, loss and separation are inevitable on the path of love, and the only way of avoiding them is by deciding not to take that path at all. In order not to suffer, you have to renounce love.It was like putting out your own eyes in order not to see the bad things in life.” ? Paulo Coelho, Brida
43. “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure. You’ve got to find the treasure, so that everything you have learned along the way can make sense.” ? Paulo Coelho
44. “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
45. “The two hardest tests on the spiritual road are the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what we encounter.” Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
46. “This is what we call love. When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.” ? Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
47. “If you start by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work towards getting it.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
48. “Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows.” Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
49. “I’m not a body with a soul, I’m a soul that has a visible part called the body.” Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes
50. “Happiness is something that multiplies when it is divided.” Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Paulo Coelho quotes to inspire to live your best life
51. “I can choose either to be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It’s all a question of how I view my life.” ? Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes
52. “You are what you believe yourself to be.” Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
53. “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
54. “Don’t allow your mind to tell your heart what to do. The mind gives up easily” Paulo Coelho
55. “You have two choices, to control your mind or to let your mind control you.” Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
56. “And one has to understand that braveness is not the absence of fear but rather the strength to keep on going forward despite the fear.” Paulo Coelho
57. “It’s one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it’s another to think that yours is the only path.”
? Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
58. “No matter how you feel today, get up, dress up & show up” Paulo Coelho
59. “Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
60. “So you see, Good and Evil have the same face; it all depends on when they cross the path of each individual human being.” Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym
Other inspirational Paulo Coelho quotes
65. “Life can seem short or life can seem long, depending on how you live it.” Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym
66. “If you are never alone, you cannot know yourself.” Paulo Coelho, Manuscript Found in Accra
67. “No one places her dreams in the hands of those who might destroy them.” Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
68. “Because I don’t live in either my past or my future.I’m interested only in the present”.”Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
69. “People learn twenty-five percent from their teacher, twenty-five percent from listening to themselves, twenty-five percent from their friends, and twenty-five percent from time.” Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
70. “Sadness does not last forever when we walk in the direction of that which we always desired.” Paulo Coelho, The Fifth Mountain
Paulo Coelho: Hear What the Universe Is Telling You
Which Paulo Coelho quotes did we miss?
Coelho always dreamed of becoming a writer from an early age. Although he was discouraged by his parents who wanted him to become a lawyer, he still found the courage to pursue his dream of becoming a writer.
Today, Paulo Coelho is one of the most widely read writers and he even holds the Guinness World Record for having the most translated books by a living author.
He also serves as a UNESCO special counselor and the Paulo Coelho Institute in 1996 to provide aid to impoverished children and elderly people.